Droid 4 for Hong Konger?

Search This thread

Y_Yan_C

Jan 25, 2010
Waterloo
Hi, I am currently using Milestone 2 (non-us Droid 2) and I have been using this phone for around a year and a half. I have rom the phone, overclocked it, themed it. I have juiced every drop of my phone out.
Now the "C" button on my keyboard is a bit messed up, i need press down hard so that the phone can sense me.
Now I am 50/50 about the Droid 4 ( Milestone 4), I am a huge MotoFan, and I am a keyboard fan, leaving me no choice but choosing the Dorid series. But the current Droid 4 is only 1.2 dual core, 1785 mah battery, and rubbish screen, worst of all, I am from Hong Kong, tho the Droid 4 is a world phone, I am not sure if the phone will work in Hong Kong, a GSM city.
So will the Droid 4 work in Hong Kong, and should I get the Droid 4? (Or wait for Droid 5)

jy3ng4

Mar 4, 2010
I am not sure if the phone will work in Hong Kong, a GSM city.
So will the Droid 4 work in Hong Kong, and should I get the Droid 4? (Or wait for Droid 5)
The Droid 4 currently cannot be used on GSM/UMTS networks. It does have a Qualcomm MDM6600 chip which technically can support both CDMA/EVDO and GSM/UMTS networks, but you'd have to flash a different baseband which I don't think is possible at this point.

Reactions: Y_Yan_C

Y_Yan_C

Jan 25, 2010
Waterloo
The Droid 4 currently cannot be used on GSM/UMTS networks. It does have a Qualcomm MDM6600 chip which technically can support both CDMA/EVDO and GSM/UMTS networks, but you'd have to flash a different baseband which I don't think is possible at this point.

but i thought verizon and motorola said we can snap in an international sim and will be able to use the phone all over the world?

disablewong

Apr 19, 2009
Hello i am from Hong kong either... I got my milestone 3 stolen today:(
So i am thinking to get a droid 4....
I wana ask is there any option of gsm after *#*#4636#*#*?
and the gsm code of milestone 3 *#*#2468#*#* still work for droid 4?

jy3ng4

Mar 4, 2010
Hello i am from Hong kong either... I got my milestone 3 stolen today:(
So i am thinking to get a droid 4....
I wana ask is there any option of gsm after *#*#4636#*#*?
and the gsm code of milestone 3 *#*#2468#*#* still work for droid 4?
Sorry to hear that :( Unfortunately there is no way to use the Droid 4 on GSM/UMTS networks at the moment.

disablewong

Apr 19, 2009
I found some successful cases in forum from China
But need to order the unlock code
Anyways i would order my xt894 and have a try
If i got luck i will tell the buddies on this forum~:D

Die Bruine

Jan 2, 2008
Got a link for the order? My Droid 4 is coming in this week. It's at customs now. I live in NL, so trying once wouldn't hurt me.

jasper3

Feb 24, 2011
Not yet. The currently shipped radio firmware has no GSM support. We're all still waiting for an update to provide GSM...

(Also, my D4 is still SIM-locked.)

VZW should unlock it for you if you call and ask. I think you have to have already met some minimum account duration and payment requirements.

I too am waiting for the GSM firmware. With VZW's CDMA roaming, I can go to 40+ countries, but not to Europe.

disablewong

Apr 19, 2009
I finally got my droid4 in hand and confirm it got gsm function is working in Hong Kong!

However, I got it with GSM ALREADY UNLOCKED so I cannot tell you how to unroot it
But probably involve flashing chinese rom

xixx

Aug 5, 2005
Gdansk
I finally got my droid4 in hand and confirm it got gsm function is working in Hong Kong!

However, I got it with GSM ALREADY UNLOCKED so I cannot tell you how to unroot it
But probably involve flashing chinese rom

So you have fully functioning GSM support? Does everething is working? 3g, HSPDA, sms, calls :) Friend of mine right now is in USA and will return back 29th of April, just thinking to ask him to buy the phone, but also need to be sure that I can unlock GSM feature.

niai_mack

Feb 19, 2011
where did you buy from?
what version id the radio firmware, the baseband and the os?
would/could you work with people here to get the radio firmware?

sorry i am a bit excited.

Last edited:

disablewong

Apr 19, 2009
So you have fully functioning GSM support? Does everething is working? 3g, HSPDA, sms, calls :) Friend of mine right now is in USA and will return back 29th of April, just thinking to ask him to buy the phone, but also need to be sure that I can unlock GSM feature.

Ofcoz, I am actually replying on the droid4 now;)
All things are working well with HSDPA, SMS and calls, even EDGE
But the lack of alt key make a little trouble when typing chinese
I wonder if the LTE is being supported by china mobile hk

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

where did you buy from?
what version id the radio firmware, the baseband and the os?
would/could you work with people here to get the radio firmware?

sorry i am a bit excited.

I got it from a china auction website

I would like to post the info, any hot-key could take a screenshot in motoblur?
Previous key in milestone3 doesn't work here

And any way to map the 'alt key' back on the physical keyboard?

The info I gathered so far hinted the unlocking involve flashing another rom, *#*#2468#*#* and unlock the device with unlock code, but I got my phone unlocked out of box so I couldn't test it:eek:

vmu

Apr 22, 2012
Moengo
i found this URL BLOCKED but it dose not look like a trustworthy site and its the only GMS Driod 4 i could find.

could you link to the site you got it from?

i dont know anything bout motoblur i have never owned a Motorola, but i do know you can take screens with the android SDK

Do not buy from that site. Its a scammers site. Not trustworthy at all.

@Disablewong I'm very curious. I too am waiting and trying to use the GSM radio on the Droid 4. Where did you get it? What rom do you use?

Do you know where I can buy an unlock code? I'm not a Verizon customer so they cannot help me. And I tried some 3rd party unlock sites, but none of them was able to generate an unlock code for me.

Thanks in advance.

rcdeoliveira

Jun 29, 2010
There is a way to know if this device is a real Motorola Droid 4? I found some weird links about it[1]

[1] www indianexporters com / Motorola-DROID-4-XT894-unlocked-mobile-phone-sell-111965.html (I can not post links yet)

vmu

Apr 22, 2012
Moengo
I tried mobile2mobile, networkunlockcodes, and unlockitnow.

I also found the site you mentioned. But before I contacted them before I place an order. If they can guarantee that they can unlock the Droid 4 I'll submit my imei.

Waiting for a reply.

xixx

Aug 5, 2005
Gdansk
Guys, will you expect the phone will work as GSM after unlocking? Or you will use it as CDMA?

disablewong

Apr 19, 2009

@Disablewong I'm very curious. I too am waiting and trying to use the GSM radio on the Droid 4. Where did you get it? What rom do you use?

Do you know where I can buy an unlock code? I'm not a Verizon customer so they cannot help me. And I tried some 3rd party unlock sites, but none of them was able to generate an unlock code for me.

Thanks in advance.

I bought it from taobao, search for xt894
I got it unlocked out of box, so I can't tell you which code provider is right

i would like to upload screenshot....
but after losing my phone, I got my computer broken too....:(
So I would do so later this week after I got time get my pc repaired
what else information I should upload for help unlocking the phone?

Attachments

• shot_000002.png
    shot_000002.png
    90.6 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Reactions: gtmaster303

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Because all the info is scattered over several forums and threads, I made a little quick and dirty summary with all the info on one spot. (Shared with droidforums because it all started there for me :D )

Before you continue I need to say this: Do this at your own risk! I'm am not responsible for your actions, bricking/destroying your phone.

First: Download Radiocomm, install it on your pc and connect your Droid 4.
    Download Radiocomm here: http://www.mediafire.com/?du2dimtzztj

1. Ensure USB is connected as PC Tools mode (not Mass Storage)
    2. In Radiocomm go to MA->COMMON->MDM 6x00
    3. After it comes up, switch to FTM Common1 tab and wait for the phone to enumerate purple or green.
    4. On the upper right side in the NVAccess, scroll to NV item 1877 NV_RF_BC_CONFIG_I
    5. Read the value from the device
    6. Replace the first 8 bytes (16 digits) with: 8703E80400000200
    7. Write the data to the device and powercycle.
    This will enable GSM/UMTS bands... thanks to Fragulina

If you flashed your D4 You might need to reflash it. And install the GSM patch. These are my test restults so far:
    Moto stock: GSM works! No data, just Extremely bad to nonexistent voice
    Moto stock with RAZR GSM PATCH: GSM works, Data works. Voice is very bad, but it works.
    Chinese ICS modded CM9 rom without GSM patch: GSM doesn't work out of the box but if you type *#*#4636#*#* Select "phone information", scroll down, and select one of the GSM options, it'll work. Its unstable though.
    Chinese ICS modded CM9 rom with GSM patch: GSM works! No data, just Extremely bad to nonexistent voice
    Gummy: To be tested
    SelfKang: To be tested

Applying the GSM patch can be done by installing the zip after flashing your rom (same way as installing gapps)
    Download the GSM patch here -> RAZR_AOKP_CM9_GSM_RIL_PATCH.zip (Thanks to shahulvm, Adlx.xda and Spryte)
    If the first patch doesn't work, try this patch: -> Eclipse GSM Patch Frasertag.zip (Thanks to Frasertag)

That's it for now. This howto is far from finished. There's a lot to be tested but it's a start. I'll try to update this howto as often as possible.

Special thanks to: Poursinet, Fragulina, (XDA) Disablewong (ANGEEKS/XDA) And many more!

And Especially for die bruine (HOLLAND/SURINAME WOOHO)
    IT WORKS.

Could you please correct your link ?

But anyway I found an older version of RadioComm and guys, I DID IT ! It's connected right now in GSM (not 3G) on the Free Mobile Network in France.

It will take me some time to document how I did, but basically under Droid4 SELFKANG CM9 I did applied the "GSM patch" used on the RAZR by some folks (wich updates RIL libraries and makes some changes in build.prop), then used RadioComm and changed the NV item 1877 just like the Bionic users have to do to get GSM enabled.

AND IT WORKED !

Thanks so much for all the help, guys.

EDIT: DATA (at least EDGE) is working too (I don't have 3G usually at home, I'll try it later today).
    I will upload it for you. There are 2 versions one by nitroglycerine and the other recently compiled by dhacker.

This is the Droid 4 Bootstrap v1.0 by nitroglycerine33.

This is the one I have been using from the beginning and I know everything works.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwlirive9zgtpfh/D4Bootstrap-v1.0.apk
    I am not sure if the phone will work in Hong Kong, a GSM city.

Thanks in advance.

I bought it from taobao, search for xt894
    I got it unlocked out of box, so I can't tell you which code provider is right

i would like to upload screenshot....
    but after losing my phone, I got my computer broken too....:(
    So I would do so later this week after I got time get my pc repaired
    what else information I should upload for help unlocking the phone?