[Q] LG G3 SIM Connector Replacement?

Search This thread

D0MINO

Jan 14, 2011
Well, I have mine on 2 year warranty and will try to get it fixed through the authorized service shop first. Will see how that goes. If it is too expensive I will search for alternatives.

I imagine with the 2yr EU electronics warranty it will be free but authorised or not, service centres always need you to give your phone in for a few days that's why I suggested you go back to the shop where you bought it from for a simple exchange on the spot (If you did indeed do that and not from a private seller on eBay).

It shouldn't matter if you bought from the high street or online, if it's a new/refurbished product and faulty then it has to be replaced.

If you bought it online from a shop In the EU then you actually have more rights/power than a high street purchase as it is covered under the 7 days Distance Selling regulations so you can return it within 7 days and cancel the purchase (or ask for a replacement) with no reason needed to be given to the shop.

Last edited:

D0MINO

Jan 14, 2011

Ah, I'm guessing the the G2 one didn't fit the G3 then if you paid €25 in the service shop?

There is a G3 disassembly on YouTube you can see but as all phones these days are modular all they really need is a little intuition to figure out how to open and replace components (oh and a technical/attention for detail mind helps greatly)

Last edited:

D0MINO

Jan 14, 2011
Mines just gone aswell with an adapter.. hate adapters.. Reminds me of the stupid note 1

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-L...K_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2c88cb2454

How easy are they to fit?

Wow look at you! lol Better get this quick as there are only 4 available..though on a search I found another seller which claims to be an official LG service centre with lots more.

I had to replace the exact same part on my Galaxy I-9000 a few yrs ago and it was a piece of piss since it's modular. I didn't use my phone for 2mths prior to this and was bummed I never tried earlier.

Wow look at you! lol Better get this quick as there are only 4 available..though on a search I found another seller which claims to be an official LG service centre with lots more.

I had to replace the exact same part on my Galaxy I-9000 a few yrs ago and it was a piece of piss since it's modular. I didn't use my phone for 2mths prior to this and was bummed I never tried earlier.
Will order now.. Pretty experienced with phones just not at taking them apart. I dont wanna do anymore damage opening it up lol

na7enaga.jpg

How would you remove the reader when your at this stage?

D0MINO

Jan 14, 2011
Without owning the phone I can't say but it looks like it may slide or clip off somehow. Looking at the pic on my phone, it also looks like there is a black/white ribbon cable attached to it on the left? When I view it on my PC later I will be able to see better. I would be very surprised if it needed to be soldered on, but I could be wrong. If someone does get their's repaired in a service centre, they can ask and let us know or even just send an email to a place offering this repair and ask them.

Last edited:

cacimbo

Apr 25, 2009
Without owning the phone I can't say but it looks like it may slide or clip off somehow. Looking at the pic on my phone, it also looks like there is a black/white ribbon cable attached to it on the left? When I view it on my PC later I will be able to see better. I would be very surprised if it needed to be soldered on, but I could be wrong. If someone does get their's repaired in a service centre, they can ask and let us know or even just send an email to a place offering this repair and ask them.

it needed to be soldered

Reactions: D0MINO

D0MINO

Jan 14, 2011
it needed to be soldered

Ah...that's unfortunate! I am thinking that since they have packed so much into a thin casing, plus made the screen's real estate with minimal bordering then they would have had to make sure the components are as compact as possible inside. I guess that it's not across the board and maybe only Samsung do modular then as I even found that on the S3 it's as easy as pulling out the ribbon cable and adding the new part.

Do you know if there are many pins to be soldered on and if they are far apart or very close to each other? I have to admit, I am not very good with a soldering iron but have managed to replace a fixed BIOS chip on a motherboard once which was a nightmare.

Last edited:

D0MINO

Jan 14, 2011
I sent a msg to the eBay seller selling the part which claims to be a service centre and they told me to resolder the part on is very difficult. I had asked how many pins and how far apart they were spaced.

Thus, I would recommended that 99% of you pay for it to be done by a service/repair centre.

Also, if you are going to use a micro sim adaptor, try to make sure that the edge on which the SIM reader pins catch and break on is covered with something like sellotape, or even make a template of the adaptor with paper/very thin card and glue it on top firmly so that the edges (of the paper/card) themselves do not lift up (to catch on the pins!). This may help to stop it catching, but obviously remember to cut a piece out in the middle so the SIM card can still be read!

D0MINO

Jan 14, 2011
I know who can do the JOB.
50 euros plus shipping.
Did on mine.

I believe you may be able to get it cheaper. You could even ask the eBay sellers for prices and if they can do it themselves. Obviously, make sure they are legit and that they either create an auction link for this or send you an invoice through PayPal as you can run the risk of your phone never coming back!

Perhaps this thread can be used to post places where people have gotten their's repaired and I can add the links to my 1st post.

galinha

Feb 25, 2005
I believe you may be able to get it cheaper. You could even ask the eBay sellers for prices and if they can do it themselves. Obviously, make sure they are legit and that they either create an auction link for this or send you an invoice through PayPal as you can run the risk of your phone never coming back!

Perhaps this thread can be used to post places where people have gotten their's repaired and I can add the links to my 1st post.

I got mine repaired at :

http://www.electromatica.com.pt/index.php?route=common/home

D0MINO

Jan 14, 2011
It appears that those of you who want to use the G3 with dual SIMs should look no further than the dual SIM version and have no more worries about your adapter breaking the connector pins. Obviously, it's a waste of money if you have the G3 already..

LG G3 D858 With Dual-SIM Support Launched

noelito

Mar 26, 2009
any us repair for lg g3 d850

I have done the same thing to my American lg g3 because like a fool I left my sim adapter with double sided tape INSIDE the sim tray for safe keeping, then come Monday morning to go to work I decide to switch phones and yanked the adapter out along with the metal sim pins underneath.

I ordered a replacement sim tray for the phone and the local cell repair shops are not sure they can do this kind of soldering job.

czaplin

Oct 7, 2008
Chicago
Hi guys,

I'm in the same boat. I have 2 pins broken, so it does not read my sim anymore. I ordered a part from China for about $5. I visited 3 repair shops in Chicago, but they could not help me (claiming it's too difficult). Any other options? Any nationwide repair centers? There too many tiny pins on both side to have this job done by myself. Thanks!

Top Liked Posts