Gmail 2.3 APK Download (when Market install fails)

Search This thread

playaz33

Jul 15, 2010
I couldn’t install the Gmail.APK from the Android Market. It kept saying something about "installation unsuccessful".

I backed up and uninstalled using Titanium Backup, then I downloaded the APK and installed it.

Synced my accounts and good to go.

Attachments

• Gmail.apk
    1.5 MB · Views: 117,763
Last edited:

playaz33

Jul 15, 2010
Yeah, I'm running KaosFroyo v31. Maybe upgrading to the latest version fixes it. I'll try it later.

Decad3nce

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 19, 2010
If you get a signature failure when installing from market just do the following:

Code:
adb remount
adb shell
rm /system/app/Gmail.apk
pm uninstall com.google.android.gm-1.apk

it may need be /system/app/com.google.android.gm-1.apk or even /data/app/com.google.android.gm-1.apk

and you should be able to install fine from the market.

Reactions: marvol

Cavyjason

May 14, 2010
Running KaosFroyo v35-1, I kept getting "installation unsuccessful" errors when installing from the market or from this downloaded apk (Thanks a bunch, btw!)

Got it to work this way:

1) Using Root Explorer, renamed gmail.apk to gmail.bak in system\app\
2) Reboot phone
3) Ran the gmail.apk acquired here, though I assume that the market installation may work at this step, too.

playaz33

Jul 15, 2010
I tried uninstalling it and then installing from the Market and it still failed. I had to install from the downloaded APK. I have no idea why.

piccolo75

Apr 5, 2010
Running KaosFroyo v35-1, I kept getting "installation unsuccessful" errors when installing from the market or from this downloaded apk (Thanks a bunch, btw!)

Got it to work this way:

2) Reboot phone
3) Ran the gmail.apk acquired here, though I assume that the market installation may work at this step, too.

I can confirm that the market installation works at this point. Thanks!

bryank29

Jul 21, 2010
Just installed successfully on KaosFroyo v35.

Sent from my FroyoEris using XDA App

is it just me..or when I installed 35-1, I swear the new gmail came with it...or it auto downloaded from the market and I didnt realize it... but I just went to the market, did a search for GMAIL, and downloaded it which installed correctly.

When I loaded the "downloaded" one, it looked like the one that came with 35-1.

Did I miss something?

viva.fidel

Aug 27, 2010
London
If you get a signature failure when installing from market just do the following:

Code:
adb remount
adb shell
rm /system/app/Gmail.apk

it may need be /system/app/com.google.android.gm-1.apk or even /data/app/com.google.android.gm-1.apk

worked for me! Titanium backup couldn't uninstall and root explorer couldn't delete it, adb route went perfectly

colin_tamsett

Aug 14, 2010

Got it to work this way:

2) Reboot phone

I tried this method. However when I rebooted, GMail (or rather GMail_V2.1.1)reverted back to being a .apk file. It is as if the changes carried out in Root Explorer are not sustained following a reboot.

ishvip

Sep 10, 2008
I can confirm that the market installation works at this point. Thanks!

I tried to this and it won't work on my rooted desire, after I reboot I've noticed in root explorer the gmail revert back to .apk. Even when I try to uninstall using titanium, the app is still there on my phone.

dbnaruto

Feb 23, 2010
Updating Google Apps fail on Tazzv5, but if I uninstall that app with titanium and reboot it will install correcly

ceno808

Jun 13, 2009
I tried this command: adb remount
I always get this error:

remount failed: No such file or directory

But, I can find my device with adb devices

folli88

Oct 31, 2010

Got it to work this way:

2) Reboot phone

works fine for me, thanks! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I couldn’t install the Gmail.APK from the Android Market. It kept saying something about "installation unsuccessful".

I backed up and uninstalled using Titanium Backup, then I downloaded the APK and installed it.

Synced my accounts and good to go.

Code:
    adb remount
    adb shell
    rm /system/app/Gmail.apk

i have some problem...

i was installed on system/app but when i run the app it show white screen and it suddenly back to home screen...

some body in here can help me?

thanks so much... before and after... :D

Do you mean that you manually copied the Gmail apk to your system/app folder? If so, wipe the Dalvik cache (it will take longer to reboot after) and see if that helps. Any time you manually move apps you should clear the Dalvik cache.