Samsung Vibrant TouchWiz Calendar not sending invites to participants.

Search This thread

binarysamurai

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler
Hi all-
My Samsung Vibrant TouchWiz Calendar is not sending invites to participants when saving the calendar entry to exchange 2003 push synced calendar. I only sync my calendar and email to exchange (not my contacts because I can't add ringtones to exchange contacts). The calendar entry gets synced to exchange, but shows up in outlook with no attendees. Also the attendees never receive an invite email. The touchwiz calendar however will send invites when I save the calendar entry to gmail. Is this a limitation or a bug? As a side note, the default Android calendar on my coworkers droid (not TouchWiz) synced to the same exchange 2003 server works just fine at creating calendar entries with participants and sending meeting invites.

PS: I'm the IT admin for everything so I can check any setting or apply any fix because I'm awesome...

C to the L-O-T-O-R-I-O, U-S, you just, lay down slow. Recognize a real digital don when you see one. Sipping on booze, reading tech reviews.

binarysamurai

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler
Really guys? No one has an answer our similar experience?

C to the L-O-T-O-R-I-O-U-S, U-S, you just, lay down slow. Sipping on booze, reading tech reviews.

ScratchSF

Sep 6, 2010
This seems to be a problem in the stock e-mail / calendaring client. So far, I have found only 3 work arounds:

1. Schedule meetings from the PC client (which is what I do).
2. Schedule meetings using a third-party client like TouchDown or Roadsync. I used to use Roadsync, but their later builds have not been up to par. So, I've moved back to stock.
3. Send your calendar invitation as an attachment from the Calendar app.

I don't know if 2.2 fixes this shortcoming or not.

There's been a long conversation about this elsewhere, but I'd have to search around for that thread.

P.S. That is interesting about your co-worker's droid.

Last edited:

binarysamurai

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler
ScratchSF,

Thanks for the update. I am glad atleast someone took the time to review. I have been flipping through AndroidForums, XDA, T-Mobile Forums, etc for a fix/workaround or at least an answer from someone with a bit more experience. I agree with you on the third party app. I tried TouchDown and the UI is just not something I could ever get used to using. I am not sure it is a stock email/calendar client issue, more likely its the Touchwiz interface. What leads me to this conclusion like I said in the previous post is the following observations:
  1. TouchWiz Calendar is able to send invites when saving calendar entries to gmail calendar
  2. I have verified with my own eyes that one of my employees, Droid sends invites when saving to his exchange calendar and he is running Eclair 2.1 with the stock android calendar
  3. Various other shortcoming of the Touchwiz calendar including having to specify which calendar to save to for every calendar entry created (With the un-deleteable "My Calendar" being the default)

I appreciate you clearing the air and letting me know that there is a thread out there that discusses this issue in further detail. My curiosity is peaked however, I would enjoy reading what others have said so if you could send me the thread to look at, I would appreciate it.;)

kuhan

Aug 26, 2010
You could always just replace the TouchWiz calendar with the stock one. Also, it's "piqued my interest" not "peaked"... that always irks me...

binarysamurai

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler
ScratchSF,

Thanks for responding to the post and clearing some of the confusion running around in my head. 8 Years of IT experience, 1 month of Android experience. You get the picture.

I would love to read the thread you are refering to that discusses this issue in further detail (I have yet to see one that fully details the issues) and I have been searching for a month now.

I do agree that if the limitation is an Android issue, the fact that my employee's Eclair 2.1 with stock Calendar being able to save calender entries to exchange and have the invites go out it a pecuiliarity. However in my research I see that there are quite a few issues with the Samsung/Touchwiz calendar (besides my problem) that would make it much more likely that Samsung does not properly support Exchange syncing yet. My understanding with 2.2. Exchange enhancements was that Tasks and Memo syncing would be added features. I personally have seen my employee's droid function correctly (running the stock calendar).

So if you could dredge up the thread you where talking about so I can read for my own sense of sanity, I would appreciate it.

binarysamurai

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler
You could always just replace the TouchWiz calendar with the stock one. Also, it's "piqued my interest" not "peaked"... that always irks me...

Kuhan,

Sorry to say that I have already tried that. Replacing the TouchWiz calendar with the stock Android calendar causes a force close when attempting to sync to Exchange. This is likely to do with the stock Android Calendar provider not having the same hooks that the Samsung/TouchWiz calendar provider has. It was my first step (as I think the stock calendar is far better).

Any other ideas?

binarysamurai

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler
Update... Upgraded to Team Whiskey Obsidian V2 and then V4.2 w/ULF and since the upgrade, calendar had been working like a dream. Invites sent via exchange get sent to the recipient through exchange. Accepted invites still don't update the status of participants but oh well it works!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk