[HOW TO] Custom Ringtones and Notifications

Search This thread

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member
Just a heads up for anyone else new to WP7. You can add custom ringtones to your HD2 WP7 using Chevron Custom Ringtone Manager.

Your phone has to be Chevron unlocked for this to work. Also, your mp3s need to be converted to WMA 48KHz format. This can be done easily with Microsoft Expression Encoder 4.
I've shown here how to convert using this tool:

Once converted, you'll find the WMA file in C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Expression\Expression Encoder\Output. Now run the Chevron Ringtone manager, browse to your WMA file, and click Build Ringtone XAP.

Then install the XAP the same way as you do with any other. I recommend Tom XAP Installer.

For alarms and alerts, there's an two extra steps involved. You must rename your WMA file to Alert-01.WMA (or which ever one you want to replace). Note your original one will be overwritten.
Once you have copied it to your phone, you need to install TouchExplorer. use this to move your Alert-01.WMA file from My Documents/My Ringtones into /Windows.

------------------------------------------------

An alternative is to sync your music with Zune, and then use TouchExplorer to copy one of your MP3s from My Documents/Zune/Content/xxx folder and put it into your My Ringtones folder. This works too :)

I've tested both methods and they both work great.

If you have any problems with it, just ask and I'll try to help.

Last edited:

bla166

Oct 19, 2008
Its also possible to copy mp3 files to My ringtones folder, I checked it by copying a random mp3 file from zune folder =)

I wonder if you can add extra alert or alarm files by just using higher numbers instead replacing the files? Didnt try this yet because it takes ages to load the windows folder...
Why the hell did MS use the folder to store all the files without any sub folders =S

Reactions: arkatis

arkatis

Dec 24, 2008
Cyprus-Nicosia
Its also possible to copy mp3 files to My ringtones folder, I checked it by copying a random mp3 file from zune folder =)

I wonder if you can add extra alert or alarm files by just using higher numbers instead replacing the files? Didnt try this yet because it takes ages to load the windows folder...
Why the hell did MS use the folder to store all the files without any sub folders =S

It works....Thanks mate!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::D

segepe

Sep 14, 2006
How to find songs/mp3 on wp7

Hi
Sorry if its a silly question.
But how do you find songs on the phone in Zune library ?

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member
Hi

It's tricky if you dont know where to look.

Using Touch Epxplorer, browse to My Documents > Zune > Content > 0100

The files will have different filenames. Just find the one you want as a ringtone by playing it (double tapping it). THen rename it and copy it to the My Ringtones folder :)

Reactions: segepe

segepe

Sep 14, 2006

The files will have different filenames. Just find the one you want as a ringtone by playing it (double tapping it). THen rename it and copy it to the My Ringtones folder :)
Thanks for the fast reply
That is the problem, all the files is numbered with no original names.
Is there a way to go around this ?

MAD_Matt

Oct 26, 2007
Oklahoma City
any idea on how to delete the ringtone? it's making weird noise no idea why tho..

I had this problem too.
You can just delete the ringtone from the ringtone folder using Touchxplorer. (My Documents\My Ringtones)

When using Microsoft Expression Encoder 4, do not select WMA Professional. I did this in error and although the ringtones sounded good on the computer, the phone played them horribly.

Select WMA, then 48kHz.
If you select WMA and 48kHz is not an option, convert to WMA Professional at 48kHz, then import the new file and convert to WMA at 48kHz. Worked like a charm for me!

NEDSTER1972

Dec 5, 2009
Gateshead
YES YOU CAN USE MP3 FILES AS RINGTONES BUT IF YOU WANT TO ADD ALERTS OR ALARMS YOU HAVE TO CONVERT THESE TO WMA FILES & RENAME THEM TO Alert-01 or alarm-01 in windows folder.

chrisp7

Feb 14, 2011
Anyone know where alerts are found (ie SMS/email alerts) would be good to change these too, I assume it would work using the same method:) (TouchXplorer)

thekoopers

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
I did the alternative method of syncing with ZUNE and did exactly what was said on the post and i was able to do it BUT when i set it for my ringtone it does not want to play.? I tried several songs from ZUNE(All i can listen to) and have the same problem. I can hear them before i do the method but after that there is no sound when i select it for my ringtone. I do have everything installed as the post says. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?? Any help please!!!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just a heads up for anyone else new to WP7. You can add custom ringtones to your HD2 WP7 using Chevron Custom Ringtone Manager.

Your phone has to be Chevron unlocked for this to work. Also, your mp3s need to be converted to WMA 48KHz format. This can be done easily with Microsoft Expression Encoder 4.
    I've shown here how to convert using this tool:

Once converted, you'll find the WMA file in C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Expression\Expression Encoder\Output. Now run the Chevron Ringtone manager, browse to your WMA file, and click Build Ringtone XAP.

Then install the XAP the same way as you do with any other. I recommend Tom XAP Installer.

For alarms and alerts, there's an two extra steps involved. You must rename your WMA file to Alert-01.WMA (or which ever one you want to replace). Note your original one will be overwritten.
    Once you have copied it to your phone, you need to install TouchExplorer. use this to move your Alert-01.WMA file from My Documents/My Ringtones into /Windows.

------------------------------------------------

An alternative is to sync your music with Zune, and then use TouchExplorer to copy one of your MP3s from My Documents/Zune/Content/xxx folder and put it into your My Ringtones folder. This works too :)

I've tested both methods and they both work great.

If you have any problems with it, just ask and I'll try to help.

Hi

Thanks for the fast reply
    That is the problem, all the files is numbered with no original names.
    Is there a way to go around this ?

Unfortunately not...that's just the way that Zune transfers files when you sync...it does this with all files.