[Q] TetherGPS client on NST; or, any hope of keeping background services stable?

Search This thread
Mar 8, 2009
Cleveland, OH
So I've been toying with the idea of using the NST as a hiking pad. Backcountry Navigator seems to run fairly well on the Nook. After enabling mock locations via Sqlite3, I was able to get TetherGPS picking up GPS location data from my phone... except the service keeps dying.

At first, I thought the service stopped updating the location because of the app's paywall. But after purchasing the full version of TetherGPS, I determined that the Tethergps service seems to be dying after a resource-intensive application such as Maps or Backcountry Navigator starts getting demanding.

Adb reads:
I/NotificationService( 880): enqueueToast pkg=com.comptonsoft.tgps callback=android.app.ITransientNotification$Stub$Proxy@4a1d24e0 duration=0
~service starts~

I/ActivityManager( 880): Process com.comptonsoft.tgps (pid 5222) has died.
W/ActivityManager( 880): Scheduling restart of crashed service com.comptonsoft.tgps/.TGPS_client in 14063ms
I/ActivityManager( 880): Start proc com.comptonsoft.tgps for service com.comptonsoft.tgps/.TGPS_client: pid=5393 uid=10057 gids={3003}
~service attempts to restart, but the notifications flag just hangs and GPS updates do not commence. service needs to be restarted manually~

I tried freeing up a sizeable chunk of RAM for testing, but extra available RAM didn't change the behavior. I'm wondering if I couldn't be hitting some limit in maximum concurrent processes. Are there any settings I could be pushing via Sqlite3 to allow more processes?

I am of course open to any other suggestions or theories.

I'm currently using Pinguy's custom NST firmware. I'll try to make certain the behavior is the same with other rooting methods.