For those running Mango: IE bug, need people to confirm

Search This thread

Jaxbot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Hey.
I've been doing some development lately (mobile apps for work and the like), and I've notice something isn't adding up on my Mango'd Focus. From what it looks like, Microsoft didn't properly implement the file upload feature in IE9 Mobile.

So for those of you with Mango running devices, try the following:
-Navigate to http://windowsphonehacker.com/uploadtest.html (Short link: http://bit.ly/pFoFSM ) or any other site with a file upload form.
-Try to add a file to the form. In my experience, pressing Browse just highlights the whole browse box briefly and then stops, and pressing the text box to the left brings up the keyboard in a read-only text input.

Here's the source of the page, for those curious:
HTML:
<html>
<body>
<form action='uploadtest.html' method='POST' enctype='multipart/form-data'>
	<input type='file' name='testfile'><br>
	<input type='submit' value='Submit'><br>
</form>
</body>
</html>

From what I can tell, Microsoft omitted implementing the file upload box. If this was an early build of Mango, I would be less concerned, but I'm starting to think that this bug may very well make it into the Mango RTM. If it does, this is some seriously bad news, especially for me as I would have to not support WP7 in my mobile site, which would just be embarrassing.

Can anyone confirm/add pointers?
Thanks.

StevieBallz

Feb 13, 2010
Linz
Same behavior on an Omnia 7 using the leaked Engineering Mango ROM (XXKH2).

Rather then a bug I believe it is like this by design as there is no filesystem access. Microsoft could theoretically enable you to pick images, videos or Office documents but this looks like they won't be going that route.

Does anyone know how iOS handles this?

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Same behavior on an Omnia 7 using the leaked Engineering Mango ROM (XXKH2).

Rather then a bug I believe it is like this by design as there is no filesystem access. Microsoft could theoretically enable you to pick images, videos or Office documents but this looks like they won't be going that route.

Prior to Mango, you could select images for upload (eg, say you're on Facebook Mobile and want to share a photo you took with your friends).
Now there's no way to do that. It could be intentional, but I'm leaning towards a bug on this one.

Livven

Aug 23, 2009
Wiesbaden
livven.me
Same happens for me on HD2 with 7720.68. Could be intentional though - on iOS the file upload button is completely inactive (greyed out). Also, remember they removed find on page and forward, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was removed too.

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Same happens for me on HD2 with 7720.68. Could be intentional though - on iOS the file upload button is completely inactive (greyed out). Also, remember they removed find on page and forward, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was removed too.

I'll see if I can get anyone at MSFT to comment on it. After all, maybe it's one of Ballmer's 500 "features." (eyeroll).
I don't get why they removed forward, though. The IE9 browser is so much harder to navigate than the old one... feels like a step back to me.

Livven

Aug 23, 2009
Wiesbaden
livven.me
I'd say it's intentional, especially considering how iOS handles this. Ditching the forward button seems consequent to me, even if not everyone may like it, but missing find in page is really bad.