Overheating when used as navigation?

Search This thread

stevessvt

Nov 6, 2010
Lake Worth
I realize this is a worse case scenario, but i used my phone as navigation for the first time today and after maybe 20 minutes of having it on my dash, charging, listeing to bluetooth music while navigating it quit charging and the red notification light started blinking. I had power saver on with the screen at its lowest Automatic Brightness set. I know this is a stress test for it, but lots of other phones I've had didnt have a problem like this. I dont use it as navigation too often, but it cant not charge if i do use it that way.
Anyone elses do this too?

Last edited:

clj575

Dec 11, 2010
Phoenix
I realize this is a worse case scenario, but i used my phone as navigation for the first time today and after maybe 20 minutes of having it on my dash, charging, listeing to bluetooth music while navigating it quit charging and the red notification light started blinking. I had power saver on with the screen at its lowest Automatic Brightness set. I know this is a stress test for it, but lots of other phones I've had didnt have a problem like this. I dont use it as navigation too often, but it cant not charge if i do use it that way.
Anyone elses do this too?

Mine starts to get pretty hot with the basics....browsing..youtube...charging while not using. It's not happening all the time but it gets frustrating. This is my second m8 ( I returned my first for heat issues) so it's happened on both non-rooted m8s.

stevessvt

Nov 6, 2010
Lake Worth
I went back to the tmobile i bought it from, they hooked it up to a laptop and ran a few tests on it and declared it fine. They said to call corporate tmobile tomorrow (since they took the holiday off today) and tell them whats going on and they can put it in my notes to have the store replace my phone tomorrow.

Last edited:

stevessvt

Nov 6, 2010
Lake Worth
Anyone else's phone do this? I ask because corporate gave the store the OK to exchange my phone, and if this is a problem with all M8's, theres no point to exchange it.

clj575

Dec 11, 2010
Phoenix
I am debating on getting a different phone all together. I flashed a few Roms.... Still having the heat issue.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: stevessvt

Tidbits

Mar 5, 2011
Pearl City
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Are you guys sure it gets that hot? This is the same thing with the M7 and people were saying the same thing. It's thermal conductivity which you guys are feeling. Keep in mind just because your other phones don't feel as hot doesn't mean it's not the same temperature. Here's a video about what happens and how people confuse themselves. The M7 and M8 are different and the M8 should conduct more heat due to it being more metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqDbMEdLiCs

stevessvt

Nov 6, 2010
Lake Worth
Although yes, it's hot to the touch, I'm talking about the battery getting so hot it quits charging , the Orange led blinks, and the battery starts going backwards even though it's plugged in to the car charger.

Tidbits

Mar 5, 2011
Pearl City
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
That's why I was making sure if it isn't merely it feels hot, and not actually being hot. :)

Are you using a 1.5 amp or something higher? I notice when I use large amp charger it'll get hotter than usual, but it does charge quicker.

Reactions: stevessvt

stevessvt

Nov 6, 2010
Lake Worth
It's a Verizon generic car charger, 1 amp. I'll be using the replacement phone tomorrow afternoon for navigation, I'll report back if it's any better with it.

stevessvt

Nov 6, 2010
Lake Worth
I Just found a 2.4 amp Rocmetfish charger that gets good write ups at best buy. Wonder if that would help.....2.4a is a lot more than 1a.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am debating on getting a different phone all together. I flashed a few Roms.... Still having the heat issue.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    That's why I was making sure if it isn't merely it feels hot, and not actually being hot. :)

Are you using a 1.5 amp or something higher? I notice when I use large amp charger it'll get hotter than usual, but it does charge quicker.