[Q] Moto G Problems with Messaging after 4.4.3 Update

Search This thread

kinkose

Jun 9, 2014
My dad's phone got the 4.4.3 update yesterday. All of a sudden, his messaging (Hangouts) stopped working correctly. Sometimes, when he tried to send a text, Hangouts would just crash. He could still receive messages without a problem, but he was unable to send them. I thought it might just have something to with the bad weather/power outages because my Nexus 5 was having some problems sending messages (but my Hangouts wasn't crashing). But more recently, I have not had any problems, but now Hangouts crashes every time without fail on his Moto G. I tried using different SMS apps, but they all crashed when I tried to send messages, too (but receiving is fine). I've also restarted the phone, toggled airplane mode, removed and replaced the SIM, reverted Hangouts to its original, and quick booted and erased the phone's cache all to no avail. Could this problem have been caused by the update? Is the phone crapping out? Is it a carrier problem? Something else? Advice?:)

slemon

Feb 4, 2011
My dad's phone got the 4.4.3 update yesterday. All of a sudden, his messaging (Hangouts) stopped working correctly. Sometimes, when he tried to send a text, Hangouts would just crash. He could still receive messages without a problem, but he was unable to send them. I thought it might just have something to with the bad weather/power outages because my Nexus 5 was having some problems sending messages (but my Hangouts wasn't crashing). But more recently, I have not had any problems, but now Hangouts crashes every time without fail on his Moto G. I tried using different SMS apps, but they all crashed when I tried to send messages, too (but receiving is fine). I've also restarted the phone, toggled airplane mode, removed and replaced the SIM, reverted Hangouts to its original, and quick booted and erased the phone's cache all to no avail. Could this problem have been caused by the update? Is the phone crapping out? Is it a carrier problem? Something else? Advice?:)

Same here with wife's phone. She makes me search for a fix. Who is your carrier? Hers is Straight talk. She just can't send text. Picture sending/receiving and incoming texts work ok.

kinkose

Jun 9, 2014
At least we're not the only ones! Ours is T-Mobile. I haven't tried sending data messages. I'll have to try...

Update: MMS works fine. Just sent a picture to myself.

Same here with wife's phone. She makes me search for a fix. Who is your carrier? Hers is Straight talk. She just can't send text. Picture sending/receiving and incoming texts work ok.

Last edited:

harisuciha

Jul 17, 2012

At least we're not the only ones! Ours is T-Mobile. I haven't tried sending data messages. I'll have to try...

Update: MMS works fine. Just sent a picture to myself.
for all, have you try to update your hangouts after updating to 4.3.3 ?

slemon

Feb 4, 2011
Hangouts updated and crashing as well. I tried several different messaging apps with the same result

bozzykid

May 1, 2011
Have you tried disabling the messaging app and also clearing the data and cache for handouts?

slemon

Feb 4, 2011
Have you tried disabling the messaging app and also clearing the data and cache for handouts?

Did that as well as deleting and reentering APN settings.

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 AM ----------

Try this one: Settings > Apps > All > Reset preferences.

Hey, we are back in the game! Thank you for your tip, it worked (at least in my case). Thanks again!

bozzykid

May 1, 2011
Are you guys sure the Messaging app was fully disabled after the update? Also, the only app default for Hangouts is to be set as the default messenger. Perhaps going into settings and setting it as the default messenger would do the same as reset app preferences without resetting all your other defaults.

slemon

Feb 4, 2011
It didn't make any difference for me. I couldn't send text messages no matter what app was default.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

bozzykid

May 1, 2011
After messing with this some more, it seems the issue is if you disable the Messaging app, this behavior exists. If you keep it enabled, then Hangouts will work just fine. This is a pretty bad bug imho.

onemoverx

Jun 10, 2014
Can't enable messanging app

After messing with this some more, it seems the issue is if you disable the Messaging app, this behavior exists. If you keep it enabled, then Hangouts will work just fine. This is a pretty bad bug imho.

what if I've disabled the messanging app before the update and now I can't enable it anymore? is there a solution for that?

afskymonkey

Feb 14, 2012
Las Vegas
So this issue exist on the Moto X 4.4.4. Had Messenger disabled while on 4.4.2 and used Hangouts (past and current version) with no problems. After update to 4.4.4 problem started, but solved with the known solution of re-enabling/re-installing the Messenger app. The problem also exists if Messenger is uninstalled.

My question is does anyone know what is causing this issue? Is it a change in the Messenger app, Hangouts (unlikely), or the core OS (seems most likely to me).

Just curious more than anything, but I would like to remove the Messenger app if possible.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk