[LINKS] Nexus One FRF72

Search This thread

AvengerBB

Mar 22, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
They have made "significant progress over the last couple of weeks"??? Wasn't froyo more or less ready at io? What are they progressing on? This is worthy of a deep analysis I hope that when its all said and done there is some sort of clearl timeline starting at io, I just have to know what happened that set them back so much that "significant progress" is insufficient. I wonder whats so important that it has to remain so mysterious? Obvioisly something big happened right after io. Mystery, conspiracy, intrigue, anticipation....This is utterly fascinating.

This is why Google is hesitant to say anything - they are just picked apart. Tell me why you believe they were set back? The only official statement was that 2.2 would come within a matter of weeks.

chronopc

Jun 4, 2010
I'm currently using Froyo on my phone and it works great. No real issues besides the Navigation sound not working correctly with the Car Dock. So I don't really mind Google taking their time to release the official OTA. Google is adding a lot with Froyo, so I'm not surprised that it's taking them a while to figure out all of the bugs. Hopefully they'll add some more features.

dan1431

Nov 25, 2006
passion-ate a Google Employee said:
@mr_christian: I was referring to Google as "us". I just want people to understand that we are not intentionally holding back the release. We work very hard on the platform for our customers to enjoy (including tasty names!), and would rather release it than not. That said, we will not release it until we are happy with it.

I am not at liberty to share details of what is being worked on, but at a high level we weren't happy with the performance and quality bar we had set for this release. There were also a few last minute bugs that cropped up and wanted to fix them before launch.

Hope that helps. Once again, we appreciate all the support and feedback!

I am not sure that this follow up has made the thread yet, but it looks like there were some bugs, but also Google was not happy with performance of Android 2.2 (maybe speed of the OS, special fixes for the N1 specifically or something else entirely).

Another interesting point is that Google wants us to enjoy their releases probably as much as they enjoy thinking up new features and bringing them to reality.

Dan

McHale

Nov 18, 2005
B.F.E. Illinois
True, but I'd be happier with an 85% bug free now and the last 15% later than the 100% much later. Also, the 85% bug free is still way better than 2.1 I have now. I've come close to throwing my N1 in a drawer for good a few times.

DMaverick50

May 1, 2009
San Antonio, Tx
This is why Google is hesitant to say anything - they are just picked apart. Tell me why you believe they were set back? The only official statement was that 2.2 would come within a matter of weeks.

Actually since it worked so well on my phone I initially thought maybe they were adding cool stuff. I guess the post above by dan seems to indicate there were indeed setbacks. That's too bad I was hoping for the former. Anyway I'm still curious to know what they weren't happy with, because most people with the test version seem pretty happy with it. I guess its good that google has such high standards.

DMaverick50

May 1, 2009
San Antonio, Tx
First off, I'd like to say hello! I'm from SA, TX as well. :)

Secondly, I don't know what they are holding up their sleeve, but I hope it's something good. As they're getting "data" back from something.

Hello to you too.

Hey out of curiousity, do you lose data connection when you go into stores/ other buildings? I do more often than not. Seems really lame I'm wondering if it could be my phone...I live in Alamo heights area

McHale

Nov 18, 2005
B.F.E. Illinois
we have this now wit the current froyo roms

I know and it bothers me! I have the AT&T friendly N1 and I'm still clean and stock. I don't want to root just to get a stock ROM that I'll be receiving the OTA soon (according to Google a FEW weeks). I'm going to SU and ROOT this thing at some point because I already see customizations I want to do, but I wanted to get Froyo first.

Patience sucks...

Oh well. Looks like this or next week is the week so a little longer can't hurt.

frozengash

Apr 23, 2010
ps everytime i see mchale in xda i think of 'mchales navy'. and on another side not bruce campbell is a bad a#*

flarbear

Nov 30, 2009
Actually, the only "official statement" was this press release where they said it would go "to OEMs and the open source community in the coming weeks" which is still one step removed from an OTA to end-user devices.

So, no official word at all actually on when the OTA would happen. Just some engineers in informal comments wanting us to keep our anticipation up perhaps a little longer than most find healthy.

McHale

Nov 18, 2005
B.F.E. Illinois
yes yes yes. i have tmobile but want official froyo FIRST. i did the same with 1.6 on my g1. Google will always impress us with every update. sometimes i think they just want to add the extra 'sparkle'

I like sparkles. I'll wait. :)

ps everytime i see mchale in xda i think of 'mchales navy'.

Congratulations! That's kinda where it came from actually. You're the first one to point it out in the over 22 years I've had it as my handle on BBS' and a TON of forums. It's a spin on my first name:

Michael => Mikhail (as in Gorbachov) => McHale

You get a gold star or something...

-Mc

Last edited:
I know and it bothers me! I have the AT&T friendly N1 and I'm still clean and stock. I don't want to root just to get a stock ROM that I'll be receiving the OTA soon (according to Google a FEW weeks). I'm going to SU and ROOT this thing at some point because I already see customizations I want to do, but I wanted to get Froyo first.

Patience sucks...

Oh well. Looks like this or next week is the week so a little longer can't hurt.

Ahhh, I got cha bro. I wasn't blessed with patience. :D

pIxiLatEd

Dec 31, 2009
1250438733732.jpg

All this hype, a leaked test ROM, and now more waiting ... it's loosing it's luster to me.

bofslime

Jan 16, 2009
Orlando
I'm currently using Froyo on my phone and it works great. No real issues besides the Navigation sound not working correctly with the Car Dock. So I don't really mind Google taking their time to release the official OTA. Google is adding a lot with Froyo, so I'm not surprised that it's taking them a while to figure out all of the bugs. Hopefully they'll add some more features.

No issues here with 2.2 and the car doc.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    md5sum ... someone ?

i haven't found a sum anywhere, does someone have one ? i'd rather not flash an -uh-oh- ;-)