Surface pro recovery partition problem after W8.1 installation

Search This thread

em.martino

May 11, 2014
Hello,
I'm having some issues with partitions and recovery image creation after Windows 8.1 clean installation ( from USB pen drive). Disk situation is in the attachments. First thing I noticed is that there is a new partition between C: and Recovery Partition. The problem is that windows doesn't recognize recovery partition and when I try to
backup it on usb drive the option "Copy the recovery pertition from PC to recovey unit" is gray (unclickable). I tried to copy it with EaseUs Partition Manager but the unit doesn't boot. What can I do in order to rescue Recovery Image?
Tnx a lot

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
>What can I do in order to rescue Recovery Image?

The rec partition is non-functional once you did the clean install. You can delete all partitions and reclaim the space, and have the partition tool recreate the ESP (EFI Service Partition, required for EFI toys). If using GPT format, also recreate the MSR (Microsoft Reserved Partition, required for GPT disks). Alternatively, you can switch to MBR and skip the MSR.

Then, ESP (100MB space) is the first partition, MSR (128MB) is second, and the rest can be allotted to the main partition. Make sure partition tool is current, else it may not handle EFI stuff. I use freebie Partition Wizard.

More info here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535(v=vs.85).aspx

For recovery, simply use an image backup tool to back up the main partition once you're done installing and setting up 8.1. There are lots of tools to do this, and you can save the image into a dedicated partition like the MS rec partition, or offline it to USB and save the space for regular use. There is no need to stick with the convoluted MS method.

Last edited:
Reactions: em.martino

em.martino

May 11, 2014
Abstracts foreyro

The rec partition is non-functional once you did the clean install. You can delete all partitions and reclaim the space, and have the partition tool recreate the ESP (EFI Service Partition, required for EFI toys). If using GPT format, also recreate the MSR (Microsoft Reserved Partition, required for GPT disks). Alternatively, you can switch to MBR and skip the MSR.

Then, ESP (100MB space) is the first partition, MSR (128MB) is second, and the rest can be allotted to the main partition. Make sure partition tool is current, else it may not handle EFI stuff. I use freebie Partition Wizard.
Thank you for reply,
I suspected there were no chance. I virtually undestand what you suggest but I'm not sure how to do exactly. Should I create a bootable partition
tool? Isn't possible to delete and join partitions during win8.1 installation( when it ask to select the partition for installation)?

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
>Should I create a bootable partition tool?

Yes. Many partitioning tools come in ISO form. To image the ISO onto a bootable USB stick, the simplest tool to use is Rufus http://rufus.akeo.ie . Rufus can also image the Windows ISO to boot USB, so no need for the dedicated MS tool. More complicated, but also more capable, are multiboot tools that allow booting from multiple ISOs, eg Easy2Boot http://easy2boot.com .

>Isn't possible to delete and join partitions during win8.1 installation

I doubt it is capable as a regular partitioning tool, eg create specific partitions like ESP/MSR, or move them. You do want to delete everything, then recreate the ones you need, to avoid non-contiguous space. If you want to stick with MS stuff, the tool to use is fdisk, but that harks back to the stone age in terms of user-friendliness.

em.martino

May 11, 2014
thank you again. I tried first the easier way and deleted partitions during Win installation. The result is in the attachment. Please, tell me your opinion.

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
Looks like Win install is self-sufficient and can create the needed partitions. As a rule, I do my own partitioning, since Win install will create the Win RE (Recovery Environment) partition, which is useless when I'm handling my own backup/recovery. I also disable UEFI on my boxes and use MBR, which then obviates the need for ESP & MSR, so everything can be allocated to data. GPT is irrelevant for small drives, and EFI is basically a headache. But if you're happy, then it's all good.

Edit for my above post: I meant diskpart, not fdisk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

More info here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535(v=vs.85).aspx

For recovery, simply use an image backup tool to back up the main partition once you're done installing and setting up 8.1. There are lots of tools to do this, and you can save the image into a dedicated partition like the MS rec partition, or offline it to USB and save the space for regular use. There is no need to stick with the convoluted MS method.