S5 with Draco design Supernova and qi Charging back

Search This thread

sirooga

May 13, 2007
Corona
db loss

I used an aluminum bumper on my s4 and had a large signal loss. How is it with that case?

jspare

Mar 22, 2006
dallas, tx
I don't really see any signal loss. The case is slippery and makes the phone heavier. It also does not "grip" very well. It looks awesome but the sweeping bulges interfere with using the phone. I am happy with the way it looks but not with the use of the phone with it on.

It fits in my pocket fine but it does make the phone very wide. I think it is bigger than a note 3 when in this case.

Vince-0

Aug 17, 2014
GPS

I find the aluminium bumper affects GPS reliability. Even till a point where maps isn't usable on the S5.

Cell signal is affected adversely by around -10 dBm with the aluminium bumper on as well but I'm in the bush so signal is usually bad.

Vin.

Last edited:

SeaFractor

Jun 16, 2011
SeaTac
Carrier posibly an impact?

I have a similar setup. However instead of the Draco Design Supernova, I have the cheap (~$12) Love Mei knock off called the "Slim Waist Bumper".

Finish is not as good as the Draco (all the milling marks are still evident, rather than the quality finish of the Draco, so you get what you pay for. A cheap prices for a cheap case).

Note, I'm not sure but possibly the Wireless Charging Back is helping? Besides the charging pad, there's an extended antenna for the NFC (normally from the battery). Perhaps it's used for more than NFC and thus negates some of the metal case impact?

I do see from the FCC images for T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint that antenna layouts differ between those devices. Perhaps this impacts the signal as well.

That said, I found that I still have extremely close to the same amount of phone signal, no appreciable Wi-Fi impact (I use 802.11ac, but it's been solid everywhere I use wireless) and the GPS shows accurate to 16 feet when using the GPS testing software. Removing the case yields a stronger GPS, but the accuracy seems to be similar (14 feet). So perhaps it's where I'm located and the number of SATs in view (15).

Downtown Seattle, GPS is pretty spotty but I suspect the skyscrapers blocking line of site is the reason. But in urban and suburban locations it's pretty solid. I've used the Google Navigation functions multiple times with the phone and case and have arrived to my destination every time.

The use of a glass screen protector, this case and the official Wireless Charging Back have provided me a nice looking phone.

wildguess

Oct 27, 2011
Calgary, AB
Thank you for your review SeaFractor.
jspare, SeaFractor, I heard that the Wireless Charging cover is thiker than the original one and many cases will not fit.
Does it affect how Draco bumper sits on the phone?

Last edited:

SeaFractor

Jun 16, 2011
SeaTac
I heard that the Wireless Charging cover is thiker than the original one and many cases will not fit.

No, it fits fin as the wireless back is thicker, just still has that rounded back on the sides. There's enough slope that it doesn't interfere with the case. It actually looks designed for it. I've removed the back and put on the original and it looks good either way.

Obviously I enjoy using the wireless charging as I was worried about the USB port cover eventually getting damaged from use.

Reactions: wildguess

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just took some pictures of my Galaxy S5 with a Draco Supermova on it. I also have the Samsung qi charging back on. Enjoy!
    I heard that the Wireless Charging cover is thiker than the original one and many cases will not fit.

No, it fits fin as the wireless back is thicker, just still has that rounded back on the sides. There's enough slope that it doesn't interfere with the case. It actually looks designed for it. I've removed the back and put on the original and it looks good either way.

Obviously I enjoy using the wireless charging as I was worried about the USB port cover eventually getting damaged from use.