[APP][1.6+] Balance update / USSD blocker

Search This thread

talkative

Mar 4, 2008
Hi Folks,

Some carriers send a USSD balance update message after each call, and sometimes after each data session on prepaid plans. This is very annoying, and SMS blockers won't stop these USSD messages.

I wrote an app to block USSD messages by keywords or regex. Works well for me in blocking my carrier's balance update messages.

My first android app, so please let me know if I can do something better.

Credits to commandus.com/blog/?p=58 for showing how to intercept these messages using the undocumented hook.

App is "com.melkote.quietbalance" on Google App Store. The v1.0 of the app is also attached to this post.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.melkote.quietbalance

Last edited:

ggs2

Jan 2, 2012
Hi Folks,

Some carriers send a USSD balance update message after each call, and sometimes after each data session on prepaid plans. This is very annoying, and SMS blockers won't stop these USSD messages.

I wrote an app to block USSD messages by keywords or regex. Works well for me in blocking my carrier's balance update messages.

Credits to commandus.com/blog/?p=58 for showing how to intercept these messages using the undocumented hook.

App is "com.melkote.quietbalance" on Google App Store. The v1.0 of the app is also attached to this post.

isn't working :(
Using galaxy s2 (AOKP 1CS ) If that matters.
I selected keyword and its not blocking ....
Edit: working, my bad didn't restart.thanks it's what i was looking for :)

Last edited:

hacktock

Apr 10, 2011
Works perfectly (Galaxy S2 with CM9)

I've been looking for something like this for a long time but I just wasn't sure how to do it. I was told that these messages are not exactly USSD because USSD requires a code to be sent.

Also, thanks for the link to the blog with the sample code. I was looking for a way to make a widget that updates automatically using the intercepted message.

a big thanks

Thanks a lot, just what i need,i have requested for this in numerous forums, the only reply i got was it's operator based, contact your operator btwn you should reboot after seeting the matching words,
In my case the matching words are,last,call,
U can set this according to your ussd, n once you set you are ready to go,if some one wishes to be know their balance their can try prepay widget , n since it's not free i would like this feature to be incorporated in this app,
s2 running ics remix,

talkative

Mar 4, 2008
Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the feedback, here and elsewhere.

I've updated the app to ver 1.1 - this version adds a screen to show the last 25 messages and action taken (block or allow) and fixes a bug with blocking frequency.

You must reboot your phone if you update from 1.0 to 1.1 (or install either version).

As I'm a new XDA user, I can't edit the original post (due to presence of URL). So I've attached the APK to this post. If any moderators can move the APK file to the first post, it'll be great!

Thanks!
Talkative

Attachments

• quietbalance.apk
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,473
Last edited:

aldredd

Aug 18, 2010
Milton Keynes, UK
I'm on Airtel in India, and worked a charm - thank you very much!

I managed to use it on several messages that come through with different wording using the Keyword List.

Thanks again!

Now, what would be *really* useful is a widget that takes the info from the messages and displays the latest balance info - although there are other aps that do that :D

haulring

May 25, 2011
The messages have stopped, which by itself is a great relief......earlier by the time i had waded through the layers of OK i was missing calls! Thanks talkative.

But the beeping still continues. Is there any way to turn that off too or have i missed something in the settings?

v_rajasekhar

Jun 19, 2012
Bangalore
Not able to block the message bal pop ups

Hi I installed this app but itz not able to block the msgs.
When I tried to send the bulk sms from my sms application, I still recieve the balance messages from service provider.

How to block the messages? What to write the message matching string for that?

vishal11in

Jan 1, 2012
s

Bydefault for the past few days my balance messages stopped. is there any way to activate it.

saheb117

Nov 24, 2008
Works perfectly with Airtel. Just use keyword blocking list and add words like balance, validity, usage to it to block all messages. Thanks!

rmittal

Aug 21, 2010
Kolkata
Hi, I just installed it today and was just amazed by it. Currently I am using Keyword blocking to block messages.

I would like someone to explain blocking messages using sub string and / or regular expression with example.

Thanks in advance.

raship

Mar 4, 2012
Nadiad
It blocks the Message but Bip and Vibration is still there

Dear Developer,

Many congratulations for making such a wonderful app.

I found two problems with it.
1. It blocks the message but vibration and bip sound comes after every net session:(
(this has been solved by reinstalling) <s>2. When I send any code from my mobile to check balance e.g. *111#, it stop them too. I mean it keep showing "sending" on screen so message is not going out. </s>

I will appreciate if you look and check for above problems

Thanks
Raship

Last edited:

mSobhy90

Apr 2, 2012
Cairo - Egypt
Source Code?!

Great work.

If it's not too much bother, is the source code available? I'm trying to implement a USSD interceptor and I was wandering if I can use your code as a starting point.
If it's not open-sourced but you are OK with sharing it please send it to me @
m.sobhy.9.90@gmail.com

If it's not feasible, sorry for bothering you. :)

talkative

Mar 4, 2008
Hi mSobhy90,

I'll clean it up and put it on GitHub in a few days, I love open source!

In the interim, everything you need is here:

commandus.com/blog/?p=58
(You can translate it quite well with Google Translate)

I want to link to that post so the original finder of the hook point gets credit.

Bye,
Talkative

Reactions: abhishek.shetty

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Folks,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.melkote.quietbalance
    Hi Folks,

isn't working :(
    Using galaxy s2 (AOKP 1CS ) If that matters.
    I selected keyword and its not blocking ....
    Edit: working, my bad didn't restart.thanks it's what i was looking for :)
    @talkative
    i hope an alternative exists for rhis, maybe using something like xposed framework?

Since, this app is no longer maintained and working on 4.2+, I created an alternative using xposed.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2603487
    Hi mSobhy90,

I'll clean it up and put it on GitHub in a few days, I love open source!

In the interim, everything you need is here:

commandus.com/blog/?p=58
    (You can translate it quite well with Google Translate)

I want to link to that post so the original finder of the hook point gets credit.

Bye,
    Talkative