Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Thomas.Raines presents

The Lightning Zap! kernel for the Epic 4G Touch

This is for cm-10.1 ROMs

Safe to use other tweaks,
i.e. Exit_Olny's

ATTN:
I thomas.raines, nor it's affiliates claim responsibility for anything you do to damage, destroy, brick, explode, or otherwise mess up your device.

Features:
Improved performance
Improved battery life
Improved network speeds
Improved boot times
Smoother scrolling
Better responsiveness
Cleaner file systems
Governor tweaks for amazing speed and performance without sacrificing battery life
Improved Memory and Ram tweaks
Improved Internet speed
Amazing kernel tweaks, build.prop mods, init.d scripts and more!

Instructions:
Make a backup
Download .zip to PC
Transfer .zip to your sdcard
Or just download it straight to your phone
Reboot to recovery
Flash
Phone will automatically reboot after install**
Wait 10 minutes
Enjoy the Lightning Zap!

See 3rd post for further instructions on improving and customizing your Lighting Zap! experience.

**The first boots always takes the longest especially after a fresh install. If you pull a logcat during the first boot, you may see a few errors with the vacuum script. This is normal, and will be "fixed" after the phone has built the databases for the apps.

Please allow 24 hours after install and 1 full charge cycle before reporting results. Always provide me with a logcat with any issues you may experience.

Phase 1: Introduction of LZ kernel to device
Phase 2: Fine tuning of tweaks, values, etc
Phase 3: Implementation of more governors/io-schedulers
Phase 4: OC/UV and continue updating and adjusting as necessary

Source Code:
kernel
LZ_Packages
Includes flashing script, scripts, and other included packages for the lz kernels.
LZ-vendor (I'll provide some instructions on how to implement lz kernel into your ROM this evening.)

Thanks to
dastin1015 and Team-Hydra for kernel source
ktempleton
untz1456 for testing and help with debugging/verifying changes
elport for testing
and the rest of the testers (pm me and I'll add your names guys)

Last edited:

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
Download links and changelog

If you have rotation problems try this (thanks to bilgerryan): http://db.tt/b6GG7eU1
If you use TWRP, you may have to fix root perms before you reboot...

ATTENTION: I am only updating the smdk4412 (new kernel) at this time. I believe most ROM devs have updated thier sources to use the smdk4412
If your ROM isn't yet compatibile with the new kernel, first talk to your ROM dev. If you ROM dev is not willing or unable to update
then let me know, and I will try to make the time to configure my sources for compiling the smdk4210 and update it. Otherwise, you
will have to wait till I can get to it.

smdk4412_p4.zip New kernel (link coming soon)
p_4
Added phase 1 thru 3.1 from old kernel
Bumped to 4.
cherry-picked from AGAT_GB27_kernel. Thanks agat63!
Added OC to 1.6
Added UV
Edited bus frequencies and a whole bunch more
Voltage Control app still not working properly, but well enough...lol (I'm still working on it)

smdk4210 Old kernel
p_3.1
Bumped to 3.1.
Added lionheart governor.
Fixed smartass2 governor.
Added vr-ioscheduler.
p_3
Bumped to phase 3.
Added hypervTNT (with phase 2 and 3 stepping) and smartass2 governors.
Working on voltage control app compatibility

E4GT_p2.zip
Bump to phase 2
Minor adjustments on system control values
Added Xan's Voltage Control App (This will come in to play very soon)

E4GT_p1.1.zip
Introduction of Lightning Zap!
Known bug. This might goober up gapps. So, be aware you might have to reinstall gapps. I'm working on it now...

Last edited:

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
More tips and tricks

The governor tweak is set for a fairly balance of performance and battery life. If you find yourself needing battery life over performance, you can make some minor changes. Here's how:
1 Download Script Manager from the market (it's free)
2 Open Script Manager and navigate to /system/etc/init.d
3 Press menu/more/advanced options and select mount as RW
4 Select 01governor and select "edit" at the top (this will open the file in a text editor)
5 Uncomment (remove # in the particular line) and change:
Code:
echo "45" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
To:
Code:
echo "[COLOR=red]70[/COLOR]" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
Only change values in increments of 5 for the up_threshold.
6 Select menu/save
7 Press the skull and cross bones icon at the top (this will allow Super User)
8 Press run, close app and enjoy
This will result is slightly slower performance but higher battery life.

When running in a higher performance mode (especially for gaming) you can disable powersave_bias by changing the 1 to a 0 like this:
Code:
echo "1" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias;
echo "[COLOR=red]0[/COLOR]" >     /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias;
Powersave_bias only allows the CPU to peak for small increments at a time, and not allow the CPU to remain peaked even when the system calls for it. In gaming, that could result in choppy, laggy perofrmance and slow FPS..

This is now controlled by the kernel. You can still change the values, but be careful as too low can result in camera and graphics issue and too high can seriously drain your battery

Changing the sampling rate controls smoothness and responsiveness. I set 150000 as default
Code:
    echo "[COLOR=Red]150000[/COLOR]" >    /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate;

I am not responsible if you do something wrong. Make a back up just in case.

Last edited:

thomas.raines

Recognized Developer
Jun 23, 2011
Hutto
How to incorporate LZ kernel into your ROM.
First you would add the kernel and vendor files to your manifest, then repo sync. I'm not going to tell you how to do this because I think if you are compiling a ROM you probably already know how. If not, let me know, and I'll post that up to.

Then, in device/samsung/d710/d710.mk add:
Code:
# Adding Lightning Zap! vendor files
$(call inherit-product-if-exists, vendor/lz-kernel/E4GT/lightningzap.mk)
Then compile as normal, and you will have the complete Lightning Zap! kernel package.

Last edited:

JayDroid412

Dec 6, 2012
Pittsburgh
What kinda ROM you working on? I'm very interested now after seeing this kernel.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Oh. And.... Does this kernel have a recovery built in?

mkfryan

Aug 9, 2012
Fargo ND
What kinda ROM you working on? I'm very interested now after seeing this kernel.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Oh. And.... Does this kernel have a recovery built in?

It has cwm

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: kchannel9

btoddweber

Jan 10, 2013
Knoxville
If the ROM I was on I had Pegasus and noop set to boot should I be ok

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Since I flashed this

ktempleton

Oct 3, 2012
Lebanon
To start the on demand gov is set as the default gov and is the one that is optimized for the kernel...
You can play around with the govs but keep that in mind

Also as far as tweaks go you shouldn't use any because they could mess things up.. If you do use them and have problems please don't waste my nor Thomas time until you reflash the kernel to remove the scripts and verify that the problem is the kernel thanks:cool:

mkfryan

Aug 9, 2012
Fargo ND
Awesome work. Possible bug when screen rotates to landscape it won't go back to portrait workout turning phone upside down then as fast as I can flip the phone otherwise it goes back to landscape, locking and unlocking screen also fixes, more of a work around. Running pac.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda app-developers app

ktempleton

Oct 3, 2012
Lebanon
I know it's still early and remember I flashed the new one a little bit ago so that took 10 percent off the top

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368067979251.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368067979251.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 769
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368068011930.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368068011930.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 748

btoddweber

Jan 10, 2013
Knoxville
Running beanstalk And rotate is working....maybe a PAC thing...I was running PAC earlier and in landscape it would soft boot...no idea if that's related but on b stalk landscape returns.

Reactions: mkfryan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thomas.Raines presents

The Lightning Zap! kernel for the Epic 4G Touch

This is for cm-10.1 ROMs

Safe to use other tweaks,
    i.e. Exit_Olny's

ATTN:
    I thomas.raines, nor it's affiliates claim responsibility for anything you do to damage, destroy, brick, explode, or otherwise mess up your device.

Features:
    Improved performance
    Improved battery life
    Improved network speeds
    Improved boot times
    Smoother scrolling
    Better responsiveness
    Cleaner file systems
    Governor tweaks for amazing speed and performance without sacrificing battery life
    Improved Memory and Ram tweaks
    Improved Internet speed
    Amazing kernel tweaks, build.prop mods, init.d scripts and more!

Instructions:
    Make a backup
    Download .zip to PC
    Transfer .zip to your sdcard
    Or just download it straight to your phone
    Reboot to recovery
    Flash
    Phone will automatically reboot after install**
    Wait 10 minutes
    Enjoy the Lightning Zap!

See 3rd post for further instructions on improving and customizing your Lighting Zap! experience.

**The first boots always takes the longest especially after a fresh install. If you pull a logcat during the first boot, you may see a few errors with the vacuum script. This is normal, and will be "fixed" after the phone has built the databases for the apps.

Please allow 24 hours after install and 1 full charge cycle before reporting results. Always provide me with a logcat with any issues you may experience.

Phase 1: Introduction of LZ kernel to device
    Phase 2: Fine tuning of tweaks, values, etc
    Phase 3: Implementation of more governors/io-schedulers
    Phase 4: OC/UV and continue updating and adjusting as necessary

Source Code:
    kernel
    LZ_Packages
    Includes flashing script, scripts, and other included packages for the lz kernels.
    LZ-vendor (I'll provide some instructions on how to implement lz kernel into your ROM this evening.)

Thanks to
    dastin1015 and Team-Hydra for kernel source
    ktempleton
    untz1456 for testing and help with debugging/verifying changes
    elport for testing
    and the rest of the testers (pm me and I'll add your names guys)
    Download links and changelog

If you have rotation problems try this (thanks to bilgerryan): http://db.tt/b6GG7eU1
    If you use TWRP, you may have to fix root perms before you reboot...

ATTENTION: I am only updating the smdk4412 (new kernel) at this time. I believe most ROM devs have updated thier sources to use the smdk4412
    If your ROM isn't yet compatibile with the new kernel, first talk to your ROM dev. If you ROM dev is not willing or unable to update
    then let me know, and I will try to make the time to configure my sources for compiling the smdk4210 and update it. Otherwise, you
    will have to wait till I can get to it.

smdk4412_p4.zip New kernel (link coming soon)
    p_4
    Added phase 1 thru 3.1 from old kernel
    Bumped to 4.
    cherry-picked from AGAT_GB27_kernel. Thanks agat63!
    Added OC to 1.6
    Added UV
    Edited bus frequencies and a whole bunch more
    Voltage Control app still not working properly, but well enough...lol (I'm still working on it)

smdk4210 Old kernel
    p_3.1
    Bumped to 3.1.
    Added lionheart governor.
    Fixed smartass2 governor.
    Added vr-ioscheduler.
    p_3
    Bumped to phase 3.
    Added hypervTNT (with phase 2 and 3 stepping) and smartass2 governors.
    Working on voltage control app compatibility

E4GT_p2.zip
    Bump to phase 2
    Minor adjustments on system control values
    Added Xan's Voltage Control App (This will come in to play very soon)

E4GT_p1.1.zip
    Introduction of Lightning Zap!
    Known bug. This might goober up gapps. So, be aware you might have to reinstall gapps. I'm working on it now...
    More tips and tricks

The governor tweak is set for a fairly balance of performance and battery life. If you find yourself needing battery life over performance, you can make some minor changes. Here's how:
    1 Download Script Manager from the market (it's free)
    2 Open Script Manager and navigate to /system/etc/init.d
    3 Press menu/more/advanced options and select mount as RW
    4 Select 01governor and select "edit" at the top (this will open the file in a text editor)
    5 Uncomment (remove # in the particular line) and change:
    Code:
    echo "45" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
    To:
    Code:
    echo "[COLOR=red]70[/COLOR]" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold;
    Only change values in increments of 5 for the up_threshold.
    6 Select menu/save
    7 Press the skull and cross bones icon at the top (this will allow Super User)
    8 Press run, close app and enjoy
    This will result is slightly slower performance but higher battery life.

When running in a higher performance mode (especially for gaming) you can disable powersave_bias by changing the 1 to a 0 like this:
    Code:
    echo "1" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias;
    echo "[COLOR=red]0[/COLOR]" >     /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/powersave_bias;
    Powersave_bias only allows the CPU to peak for small increments at a time, and not allow the CPU to remain peaked even when the system calls for it. In gaming, that could result in choppy, laggy perofrmance and slow FPS..

This is now controlled by the kernel. You can still change the values, but be careful as too low can result in camera and graphics issue and too high can seriously drain your battery

Changing the sampling rate controls smoothness and responsiveness. I set 150000 as default
    Code:
        echo "[COLOR=Red]150000[/COLOR]" >    /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate;

I am not responsible if you do something wrong. Make a back up just in case.
    How to incorporate LZ kernel into your ROM.
    First you would add the kernel and vendor files to your manifest, then repo sync. I'm not going to tell you how to do this because I think if you are compiling a ROM you probably already know how. If not, let me know, and I'll post that up to.

Then, in device/samsung/d710/d710.mk add:
    Code:
    # Adding Lightning Zap! vendor files
    $(call inherit-product-if-exists, vendor/lz-kernel/E4GT/lightningzap.mk)
    Then compile as normal, and you will have the complete Lightning Zap! kernel package.
    Wow, so many posts over night, I can't comment on all of them...lol
    Glad you guys are liking it.

First off though, thanks to dastin1015 and Team-Hydra for the source. I apologize for not including your guys in the OP.

As for the benchmarks, keep in mind that they are only a reference point. But, if you want to raise your benchmarks, change the up_threshold to 15 in the governor script. You could also consider changing the io-scheduler and governor.

As for other tweak packages/apps, I would not suggest using them as you could cause conflicts. With that said, if you do not like my default values and have found your values with a particular tweak has better results, let me know and I'll look into it.

As for why am I including the boot.img?
    The boot.img consists of several parts, which either now have or will have mods to it. Things like /proc, /sys, the kernel, ramdisk and root partitions to name a few. Lightning Zap! kernel vision is not to be artificially injected into a kernel or ROM, but to be written directly into to. Although tweaks, scripts, etc that are injected into it work, I have found that by writing them into the kernel and ditching the scripts provides better results.

If you don't like something that I included like the bootanimation or root browser, then simply remove/replace it. I dev for the general population and not to individual wants/needs; however, suggestions are always welcome and considered. I learn more from what you tell me with your experience than I can from playing with the device. Mainly because, everyone uses their phone differently.

Again, I am happy you guys are enjoying this kernel.