[Q] How to prevent screen from turning on receiving SMS

Search This thread

Specht77

Sep 2, 2012
Guys, I'm having some headache with this thing:

For example, when you receive a call, the phone see if the proximity sensor is blocked, if so, it keeps the screen locked until you, for example, take it out of the pocket, and unblock the proximity sensor...

BUT

When you receive a SMS, it ignores the proximity sensor, and unlocks the screen anyway, because of this, I can't put the phone to lock (ask pattern) @ more than 5 sec, because if I receive a SMS, the screen will turn on, and it'll do a lot of unwanted stuff while on my pocket...

But even putting the phone to lock when the screen goes off, sometimes when I receive SMS, the screen goes ON, asking the pattern, or asking to do an emergency call, and guess what? It does a lot of unwanted emergency calls...

And even worse, I cycle a lot, and like to listen music while cycling, so when I receive a SMS, it sometimes start to change music, pause music, etc, but the worse is, when I receive a call, and press the earphone button to answer it, and then press it again to end it, when the call ends, the screen goes ON, I mean, WTF? if I'm controlling the call from the earphone, it's probally because I can't reach the screen? Why would it turn on??

So, I have a i9505 with stock rom, but rooted, is there a file that I can edit to make it don't turn ON @ these cases, or another way to prevent it?

ioddrine

Jun 11, 2011
Iasi
You can install go sms and you can set If you want your screen to turn on or not when receiving a new message

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

Anubhav Agrawal

Nov 26, 2012
Delhi
Guys, I'm having some headache with this thing:

For example, when you receive a call, the phone see if the proximity sensor is blocked, if so, it keeps the screen locked until you, for example, take it out of the pocket, and unblock the proximity sensor...

BUT

When you receive a SMS, it ignores the proximity sensor, and unlocks the screen anyway, because of this, I can't put the phone to lock (ask pattern) @ more than 5 sec, because if I receive a SMS, the screen will turn on, and it'll do a lot of unwanted stuff while on my pocket...

But even putting the phone to lock when the screen goes off, sometimes when I receive SMS, the screen goes ON, asking the pattern, or asking to do an emergency call, and guess what? It does a lot of unwanted emergency calls...

And even worse, I cycle a lot, and like to listen music while cycling, so when I receive a SMS, it sometimes start to change music, pause music, etc, but the worse is, when I receive a call, and press the earphone button to answer it, and then press it again to end it, when the call ends, the screen goes ON, I mean, WTF? if I'm controlling the call from the earphone, it's probally because I can't reach the screen? Why would it turn on??

So, I have a i9505 with stock rom, but rooted, is there a file that I can edit to make it don't turn ON @ these cases, or another way to prevent it?

hi there,
u can install many apps that makes use of proximity sensor to turn off screen if its in pocket or bag
u can check gravity screen app,auto on off app in Google play,or maybe this one - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.itsme4ucz.screenoff

but remember,it will consume more battery ,as proximity sensor will remain on for whole day...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Specht77

Sep 2, 2012
hi there,
u can install many apps that makes use of proximity sensor to turn off screen if its in pocket or bag
u can check gravity screen app,auto on off app in Google play,or maybe this one - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.itsme4ucz.screenoff

but remember,it will consume more battery ,as proximity sensor will remain on for whole day...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Thank you, I'll test this program, I hope it don't consume much more battery...

It's sad that there's no way to fix this just by editing parameters, but thanks!