Flashing orange light, here's one reason.

Search This thread

mrono

Jun 4, 2009
So I got a flashing orange light on my EVO tonight when I plugged it in to charge, phone was dead, wouldn't turn on, dead battery. That's one reason you get a flashing orange light, a completely dead battery, just plug it in and let it sit for a bit and it will get a solid orange light. I advise waiting 20min or so then turning it on.

Side note, car chargers don't always have the power so you can use your phone while it's charging when the battery is really low, had it plugged it and was using it for an hour + and it still died

Last edited:

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010
So I got a flashing orange light on my EVO tonight when I plugged it in to charge, phone was dead, wouldn't turn on, dead battery. That's one reason you get a flashing orange light, a completely dead battery, just plug it in and let it sit for a bit and it will get a solid orange light. I advise waiting 20min or so then turning it on.

Side note, car chargers don't always have the power so you can use your phone while it's charging when the battery is really low, had it plugged it and was using it for an hour + and it still died

There are car chargers you can get that will charge the same as your wall charger. Read it and see if it says 1000mA.. There are also adapters that plug into 2 usb ports at 500mA equaling 1000 when charging your phone. Most car usb port chargers have 2 slots or more so its possible. You can also use the adapter method on your computer to receive the full 1000mA charge.

YafaKlan

Apr 18, 2010
Brooklyn
I'm using my palm pre car charger (original). I was streaming Pandora n checking my Facebook and it charged till it was full (green light n all)

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

mrono

Jun 4, 2009
I'm using my palm pre car charger (original). I was streaming Pandora n checking my Facebook and it charged till it was full (green light n all)

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

Mine charger works for my car, but my moms has a usb port built into the car and that's the one that wouldn't keep my phone alive.

bryank909

Jul 1, 2008

My EVO Shift completely discharged and when I plugged it in to recharge it, I got the same problem - amber light would flash 3 or 4 times then stop, it would not charge and not turn on. I removed the battery for 10min. With the battery removed I plugged in the USB cable into the computer and phone, pressed the power button, unplugged the USB, pressed the power button again, replaced the battery, plugged in the USB and the amber light went solid and appears to be charging now. :D

BTW, I'm posting this because the OP's solution of plugging "it in and let it sit for a bit" didn't work, it was plugged into the wall adapter all night and didn't charge. I could only get it to do so using the steps above. cheers.

Reactions: mitaysh and pucksen

Sunsparc

Jan 3, 2011
If you happen to be near a Sprint store and the "let it charge for about 20 minutes until solid orange" didn't work, take your battery to them. They can boost it on their battery machine. I see a lot of customers just for this very reason.

nickyd1001

Jun 22, 2011
There are car chargers you can get that will charge the same as your wall charger. Read it and see if it says 1000mA.. There are also adapters that plug into 2 usb ports at 500mA equaling 1000 when charging your phone. Most car usb port chargers have 2 slots or more so its possible. You can also use the adapter method on your computer to receive the full 1000mA charge.
I've had my EVO for just a few days and I got the abrupt shut down followed by flashing amber light also. The phone was charging off the usb of my laptop at the time. When i unplugged the phone the light turned off and the phone would not turn on. I thought I fried it because I did not know what flashing amber meant. What was strange about it was that not only did I not receive the usual "battery is nearing 15%, please plug in" notification but the phone powered off when I was reading an article about things to do to prolong battery life. Anyway, I proceeded to charge the phone from an outlet and now things seem to be fine.

electronicincapable

Dec 23, 2011
I am having a similar problem with my HTC Incredible 2 on verizon. Last night it was charging just fine, and when I woke up this morning it was off and it won't turn on or do anything. I can plug it in and if I hold the battery it will flash the orange light a few times but it always stops. I've tried the fixes in this thread and nothing...what can I do?

It was still almost half way charged when I feel asleep last night so the battery wouldn't have run down. The only thing I'm worried about is if the charger did something to the battery but it seems unlikely as its a charger I've used often.

mitaysh

Dec 21, 2009
My EVO Shift completely discharged and when I plugged it in to recharge it, I got the same problem - amber light would flash 3 or 4 times then stop, it would not charge and not turn on. I removed the battery for 10min. With the battery removed I plugged in the USB cable into the computer and phone, pressed the power button, unplugged the USB, pressed the power button again, replaced the battery, plugged in the USB and the amber light went solid and appears to be charging now. :D

BTW, I'm posting this because the OP's solution of plugging "it in and let it sit for a bit" didn't work, it was plugged into the wall adapter all night and didn't charge. I could only get it to do so using the steps above. cheers.

Thanks! That worked!

pronstaR

Jun 4, 2012
I tried bryank909's method and that worked for me too, thanks a lot !

EDIT : after a little time the LED switched off . So I retried the trick and it's not working anymore...

Last edited:

teh roxxorz

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2010

EDIT : after a little time the LED switched off . So I retried the trick and it's not working anymore...

When the amber light is blinking, it basically means charging, but there is not enough turn on voltage to power on the device. If you were previously charging it > remove the battery for 5 minutes > replace it > charge the device on a WALL outlet, NOT a usb charging, i.e. computer, tv, xbox, etc. You should be good to go after that.

Reactions: Gamekeeper408

pronstaR

Jun 4, 2012
Well, when I plug it on a wall outlet and always this switching amber LED...
The fact is that this charger is working well with my other phone (HTC Sensation) :(
I'll try another charger if I found it !

grendizerus

May 23, 2008
Hello
This happens on my HTC HD2 when it's on the car mount and used as a GPS, and when there's too much sun hitting the device!
I know I should put the device in the shade, but for that, I'd have to buy a new car mount system, annoying...

Jana0503

Apr 15, 2013
In my case of desire sv which suddenly died and was "amber blinking", I had to just push the battery a little bit for it to start working again. Until that point of physical battery adjustment, I tried many options for the "amber blink" to go away.

Thank God, the phone is alive. Apparently, as I understand, the amber blink is to indicate that the battery is not present - perhaps. ::Don't Know::

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

When the amber light is blinking, it basically means charging, but there is not enough turn on voltage to power on the device. If you were previously charging it > remove the battery for 5 minutes > replace it > charge the device on a WALL outlet, NOT a usb charging, i.e. computer, tv, xbox, etc. You should be good to go after that.