[Review] Droid X2 3800mAh Extended Battery+Cover w/Log and Pictures *Updated 11/03

Search This thread

ArcaneDraco

Apr 1, 2011
Ive had the 3500mah from ebay for about 2 weeks now, for the most part I cannot kill it. but strangely a couple times it has lasted only a few hours. Its a badass battery but I find it hard to trust it after that.

L2_n19h7m4r3

Aug 25, 2009
I'm thinking about getting this battery, looks like a good deal. Would anyone that has this battery be kind enough to post a screen shot or two of the battery usage screen in...

Settings : Applications : Battery use

Or post your average time between charges? Would be very helpful, thanks! Also to anyone who has had this on 2.3.3 and is now on 2.3.4 is there any changes in battery life?

donlad

Sep 23, 2010
I just purchased one of these batteries from AliExpress.com from the same seller & location that you bought your's from and it was only $13 with free shipping. I'll be waiting for a long time for delivery, but I hope it's worth it.

joshpmerk

Oct 22, 2011
non oem extended battery

hey the problem with the non oem extended battery is that moto software report that the battery's capacity is only like 500 mah no matter how much the battery really is. i have the 1800 got them for like 3.59 each free shipping moto says 1 % at 3.900 volt i get 3 times as long running time at 1% as i did the first 99%. if we could just find a way to tell the system what the battery's real capacity is that would fix all the battery problems or make a widget that can count usage by current

donlad

Sep 23, 2010
I finally got the 3800mAH battery I ordered in the mail. Looks exact same as the OP has. Will be testing and letting everybody know of my results!

Moon Shadow - NM

Jul 14, 2011
Albuquerque
I use that Battery Left app to measure my OEM Moto 1800mah extended battery.

Sent from my rooted, deodexed, personalized, stock rom, Motorola Droid X2. What's with the locked bootloader Moto????

Infantry667

Nov 2, 2011
I wonder if this would fit with the trident electra case if I used this one instead of the 3500 mah that came with it? :D

Lycan84

Jan 3, 2012
I may have to get this at some point wifes battery has been draining fast. Need to look through her phone and see whats up. But I've wanted a extended battery since day one.

jackjadamyk

Jan 23, 2011
Victorville
was about to post a whole new thread, asking EXACTLY what you have here... VERY informative, and must say that your hard work makes things a LOT easier for me :) Thanks!

1 Question though: Any cases that you know of that will fit with this extended battery/cover?

Last edited:

Skelente

Aug 17, 2011
was about to post a whole new thread, asking EXACTLY what you have here... VERY informative, and must say that your hard work makes things a LOT easier for me :) Thanks!

1 Question though: Any cases that you know of that will fit with this extended battery/cover?

The Trident elektra. I've had it on mine for the past 3 months and love it. It's tough as rocks, and I feel like I could literally toss this across the room without even worrying about the safety of my phone.

skwoodwiva

Apr 24, 2011
Thanks for the review. Great job.
What do you think of getting this battery to work in the operational method I use for the bh6x now: I use no battery door & retain the battery with the tightness of the OtterBox Inpact rubber only case. I really like the convenience when having to change these often. My guess is it would fall out. Thanks. Waiting to hear your response.

754boy

Sep 28, 2008
Shaw, MS
Thanks for the review. Great job.
I use no battery door & retain the battery with the tightness of the OtterBox Inpact rubber only case. I really like the convenience when having to change these often. My guess is it would fall out. Thanks. Waiting to hear your response.

I was about to ask a similar question as well. Do you think I would be able to squeeze an Impact case around a battery that fat??

argodabar

Jun 17, 2010
What is a good way to charge this battery? I've read that with extended batteries of this size I'm supposed to charge it to 100% with the phone on and then shut it off and continue to charge that way until the led comes on. I've tried that but the led never comes on even after 3 hours. Also, after you charge the battery what is the voltage normally at? Mine is about 4.1V

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

LordRalh3

Jul 23, 2011
Minnesota
Just plug it in and leave it plugged in overnight, full is 4.200 when your battery gets old it will start to vary as high as 4.250 but that takes a while

from my X2 roaming the north

argodabar

Jun 17, 2010
It's a great battery. I don't worry about it dying throughout the day. Only bad thing about it is that the phone doesn't know the exact battery levels.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    With so many different questions about how this battery looks like and performance, I have decided to go ahead and order the 3800mAH extended battery and cover for our Droid X2 (also made for DX). I have MANY pictures from ALOT of angles for everyone to see. My worry was that it might be too big and bulky, not meet my performance expectations, and that the cover was going to be fugly.

I have been keeping a log ever since I received this on the 19th from eBay. Obviously, the seller has ordered bulk from overseas to compensate for the price. This is where most sellers order from, if not here, then similar places. I also looked into Gorrila Gadgets and decided to go with the opposite of what people are getting. They look very similar, I even wonder if Gorilla Gadgets slap on their brand on them.

In order for me to bring to you a good opinion and/or review of this battery that most of us have questions about, I would need a screen capture app that will work well for me to keep a log of the battery. If anyone would be kind to assist me by pm ing me in the right direction, much would be appreciated :D (got one.)

This is my contribution to the XDA community as you all have helped me make the best use of, not only my phone, but to all others here. Thank you to all who help eachother out on a day by day basis, that's what we should be doing here as an XDA family...You're welcome.

Tested On:
    Motorola Droid x2

Running Rom:
    Eclipse v .06 2.3.3 and CURRENTLY Eclipse v. 1.2 2.3.4

Purchased on eBay:
    9/13/2011

Date Delivered to Home:
    9/16/2011

Price/Quantity:
    29.98 Free Shipping for
    - (2) 3800mAH Extended Batteries
    - (2) Modified Back Covers
    - (1) Wall/Usb/Battery Charger

Munufactered by:
    Kiloline in Guangdong China (Mainland)

Weight, Color, Material etc:
    It does add on a little more weight than your stock battery, but I like it. As far as actual weight, I don't have that info. The color, material and feel of the back cover were very well matched. The material is the same as the DX2s smooth finish, non glossy or cheap-like, very well made. The hinges that lock the cover in place could have been made a bit better as I like the 100% "click" that the stock cover gives us. The cover stays put in place well, havent had any problems at all.

As form the color, I would say it is fairly off. It's of a lighter shade than of our Xs, but still very close. You might tell by the pictures I've provided.

Pros:
    The juice time, of course. I travel all around the states every week, and having necessary battery to cover my needs is important. This battery just won't die. I used to have to charge my BH6X every night when I returned home. But now I can do that every other night, which I don't because I like starting my day off with a 100% full battery.

Another pro is that I actually like the feel of the phone with the extended as I have a better "grip" now as I did before.

Cons:
    I'm not sure about this battery not having the capacity "memory" or either the Android system not being able to recognize this extended. It's annoying reaching zero % and having the red LED battery indicator blinking. When it reaches 0%, I know I still have another 3+ hours of heavy use. But when it will actually die is hard to tell.

First Thoughts:
    Holy ship, it's huge. I wonder if it lives up to the hype for the low price I paid. Yes it does.

Final Thoughts:
    If you're out on the road all day and not want to have to sacrifice running all those apps and GPS just to save battery, get it. This plus Juice Defender is a must. I even tether my iPad with my X for hours in airports, not worrying if I'll run out of juice or not. Plus I enjoy the "Oh my god it's so big" comments from chicks :D

Logs

9/19- Monday
    8:00PM- Placed battery in for first time, read 79%.
    10:00PM- Reads 100%, will continue to leave overnight

9/20- Tuesday Morning (Light use)
    11:00AM- Unplugged from phone, rebooted, erased batt stats under recovery, first day running only on battery.
    12:06PM- Down to 80%
    3:10PM- Down to 42%
    7:21PM- Down to 21%
    11:01PM- 15% battery indicator warning
    Left charging overnight in the USB Wall Charger, was NOT happy with performance, BUT, recycling is always recommended at start of every battery.

9/21- Wednesday Morning (Moderate Use)
    12:00PM- Left on Wall charger most of the day (used BH6X in in the meantime)
    Did not log, was playing the new Gears
    9:00PM- Nandroid back up, re-installed ROM, wiped cache, formatted SD, batt stat, delvik etc.
    11:00PM- Phone reformatted, wiped, fresh start, ready to go with fresh Battery at 100% Will play with phone, watch Netflix in bed, browse web, send texts etc., will be off charger for the full night (Heavy Use)

9/22- Thursday
    6:30AM- Down to 60% Used last night straight for about 3hrs.
    It still is WAY to early to tell, BUT, I've seen improvement as I am recycling the battery and have re-installed rom at FULL battery and cleared BATT STAT. This will be 2nd day runnig with battery with heavy use (I'll try).
    10:10AM- Still using phone for browsing, texts etc since last night @11PM.
    Down to 48% almost 12+ hours later. at this time the BH6HX would need recharge...
    1:25PM- Down to 1% Running FM radio, maps GPS and internet. Has been on 1% for about 15 min.
    3:20PM- Phone shut off finally died. Took a lot to kill it, very happy so far, but battery stats is inaccurate. Held charge for about 16 hrs, with HEAVY use. Will report back later for more info.

9/23- Friday
    Put battery on wall charger yesterday after it depleted 100% at 3:30PM. Took it off of charger at midnight, put DX on recovery to wipe batt stats again, inserted battery, played with phone for 2hrs., left it off charge overnight, read 96%.
    9:00AM- woke up, phone down to 96%, STILL. Will continue to use phone throughout the day with MY normal, everyday use.
    ALSO, installed Battery Left Pro, as I know for a fact that Android system does NOT 100% read extended batteries accurately, BUT, does recognize them and perform well. Battery Left Pro really helps in this department.
    10:32PM- After almost 20+ hours with normal use and heavy use towards the last 3hrs, battery died, phone shut off. I'm impressed, except obviously for the inaccurate android battery stats. It seems that the phone will last for appx. 3+ AFTER reaching 1%. It's annoying not knowing how much juice is left after reaching 1%. All in all, very impressive, it can only get better, I'm assuming.
    10:45PM- battery is charging while ON phone (not wall charger). When I get phone on, I will post screen captures of results.

9/5- Sunday
    2:09PM- Phone has been off charger since 11am Saturday morning. It is now 2PM Sunday afternoon. I'm happy. Worth the price, AND have a spare extended. 26+ hours of juice and still going. I'm watching Netflix (wifi) to drain and shut off. Again, android reads at 1% but I've estimated an additional 4 hours extra of juice after 1%.

Screen shots and statistics will be posted up tonight. I will recycle battery once more overnight and conclude my testing afterwards. Die, battery, die... (Please scroll to bottom of post)

More info on, Battery Left and Juice Defender later. I have a lot of good statistics and information on how our DXs respond and act to extended batteries. Please check back later, thanks guys. (Please scroll to bottom of post)

The following pictures are comparing the origional Motorola extended BH6X to the new 3800mAH. I purchased the BH6X weeks after my DX and have lasted 12hrs with heavy use. But I wanted more so purchased the 3800mAH extended battery now hoping for a lot more juice.

The BH6X was nearly unnoticeable and performed beyond my expectations. I then did my research on JuiceDefender Battery Saver and increased the BH6X by 3 more hours. JuiceDefender DOES work, more a bit later. I am still currently running JD, and most likely contiinue to do so in the future.

3800mAh (Left) / BH6X (Right)
    IMG_6119.JPG

3800mAh (Left) / BH6X (Right)
    IMG_6120.JPG

Wall/USB Charger
    IMG_6126.JPG

Package Contents
    IMG_6129.JPG

Droid X2 with Motorola BH6X
    IMG_6135.JPG

Droid X2 with 3800mAh Battery
    IMG_6169.JPG

IMG_6170.JPG

IMG_6140.JPG

IMG_6173.JPG

IMG_6178.JPG

IMG_6143.JPG

IMG_6176.JPG

3800mAH (Left) / BH6X (Right)
    IMG_6158.JPG

3800mAH (Bottom) / BH6X (Top)
    IMG_6154.JPG

3800mAh Battery
    IMG_6162.JPG

Droid X2 With 3800mAh Battery (without Cover)
    IMG_6168.JPG

IMG_6184.JPG

It's been 2+ months while using the battery now. Still doing it's job, I'm more than satisfied and remember, my purchase came with 2 batteries!

Along with the great power I am also running Juice Defender. I've also switched to Eclipse 1.2 and updated to 2.3.4.

Juice Defender does exactly what many people are manually doing by means of shutting down their wifi, data, and even fetching their emails or social accounts once every x amount of times an hour etc...

With the FULL version, enable ADVANCE under the tabs to enable and have maximum control over what the other presets have. My setup is simple. For what I want to do, and for what best works for me is as follows:

- While my screen is OFF, I only want to be able to receive my text messages to go through and EVERYTHING else Off, especially DATA. <--------- that's the battery killer there.
    -When I press the power button ON, and ONLY after my password is entered and I go to my home screen is when DATA is enabled. If the cell tower (not GPS) picks up on my wifi coordinates (Juice Defender trains for this), it's switches from data to my WiFi at home (or wherever you train it to work, office, school)
    -There are times where I'm not constantly on my X2 (therefore the screen OFF, no DATA) I set for JD to automatically turn on my data after 1hr for at least 2 minutes so my X2 will fetch my gmail, updates, weather etc. There are many variables you can choose from to meet your needs.

Remember, your data does NOT affect incoming text messages, your cell strength does. That's the only thing I care to fetch 24-7. Also, I've tried Tasker, but JD I feel much more comfortable with and it's as simple as clicking on/off to most settings. highly recommended.

I've also tried BatteryLeft hoping it would calibrate the "time remaining" of my 3800maH battery. Again, pretty good but not precise enough. I've learned to estimate how much juice is remaining after 1%, but when I get home at the end of the day, it's only still about halfway anyway :)

There's NO REAL method of trying to get android to calibrate correctly on these types of battery. But I do suggest FULL battery when flashing new rom along with wiping battstats in recovery.

About the 2.3.4 update:
    Yes, it's has the battery bug, but again will not impact battery performance. You'll still have hours of juice left after hitting 1%.

I'm a happy X2 user with great 27+ hours of battery life, rooted, on Eclipse, with 167 free ram constantly, no freezes or crashes. I'll be doing a guide to get your X2s running FLAWLESSLY in the near future, please give me some time.

Any other questions feel free to pm me, don't forget the "thanks."

The following are MY battery stats screen captures: