How i like my G2

• Want to return/sell right now. Crap.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

varunkumars

Sep 4, 2010
Dallas
International, Verizon, T-mobile and AT&T G2 devices.

Now that many of you have the G2. Please provide your review. Keep it simple just so a common user can understand. Dislikes also if any.

. User experience (speed, fluidity, lags)

. Features that you like(including display)

. Battery

. Build quality(Screen, plastic, charger, headphones etc)

Also please mention your carrier (International, Verizon, T-mobile or AT&T)

Darkestred

Jul 4, 2011

Now that many of you have the G2. Please provide your review. Keep it simple just so a common user can understand. Dislikes also if any.

. Battery

I'm not very picky so here we go:

User Experience has been great. i'm coming from an s3. I like the sleekness of the device. The thin bezels make the s3 seem clunky. Navigating menu's and around the phone has been fantastic. Of course some of this novelty is due to a new toy, but this really is a superb phone imo.

Features I really like the knock knock feature. quickmemo is neat but maybe a novelty.

Battery Battery has been very nice. I have yet to charge my phone and its been 24 hours. Got it at around 77% had it plugged into computers for about 10 minutes trying to get adb to work. It's down to 30% now. Wifi does not drain. I went down 5% in 7 hours.

Build Quality Build quality seems very sturdy. Back plate is a little "Mushy" if you press it. The heft really makes it feel premium. Screen is very nice. No headphones but i have much better headphones than the $22 quadbeats (which aren't bad).

Verizon.

heffzilla

Jan 20, 2011
The statusbar toggle in the nav bar might be the best idea I've seen in awhile, knock on is also a nice feature. Only lag I experienced was using swiftkey and going back to home, which other have also noted.
Verizon also
Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: varunkumars

ratchetjaw

Jan 26, 2009
The statusbar toggle in the nav bar might be the best idea I've seen in awhile, knock on is also a nice feature. Only lag I experienced was using swiftkey and going back to home, which other have also noted.
Verizon also

Just got mine. What do you mean status bar toggle in nav bar?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

Just got mine. What do you mean status bar toggle in nav bar?

Also sucks seems at&t version doesn't have the browser set up for q slide

jsho31

Aug 4, 2010
Plano, Texas
It's a great phone. I wasn't keen on LG phones after using the G Pro and the G but this made me change how I felt. It's on par with every other flagship. I sold my One and will probably sell my S4 and be down to just 1 phone for the first time in a while.

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

big70tom

Aug 20, 2011
Exeter, CA 93221

. Battery

Verizon Variant, I previously owned N4, ONE, DNA, and S3, so my comparisons are based off those.

User Experience
This is absolutely the smoothest,lag free phone I've EVER used. Its ridiculous

Features
The display is beautiful, I like it better than my ONE. Having such thin bezels makes it really pop. Hard to really explain. I love the keyboard, I've always preceded Swiftkey, but do not feel the need to switch on this phone. The mms has customization features above any other phone I've had, and the lay out of everything from dialer to settings is absolutely stunning.
Only complaint-The ONE with Boomsound spoiled me. I miss the quality of the external speakers, Verizon removed one of the dual speakers on there G2 to fit in the wireless charging and you can tell. Its not bad, just not amazing like everything else on this phone. Back to Bluetooth speaker for my podcasts. But really no,big deal. The camera is the best I've ever used. Better than ONE and my wife's S4. Picture quality and interface.

Battery
I've had this a full day. I charged it fully overnight and have been using it regularly, browsing internet, since 630 am so that's 7 hours of usage and I'm on 71%. Exact same usage on my ONE and phone would be dead an hour ago and plugged in. Battery is EXCELLENT.

BUILD QUALITY

I am not a,fan of Samsung at all because I hate the feel of there phones. Feel cheap. I was concerned about the G2 feeling the same because it's plastic as well. It doesn't. Maybe it's because of the way they stepped there battery but it feels extremely solid. The weight to it makes it feel really good in your hand, and there is no" hollow" feel to it. The plastic back feels nice and looks beautiful. I wish Verizon hadn't changed the back buttons though, but that's super minor.

As you can tell, I've drunk the cool aid and am going back for seconds. This phone is the best I've ever owned. P E R I O D

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: varunkumars

yumms

Dec 13, 2010
Has anyone dropped their phone on concrete yet? I've dropped my Thunderbolt a bunch of times...there was barely a dent on it. Do you think the G2 will stand an impact from waist high?

big70tom

Aug 20, 2011
Exeter, CA 93221
Good to know bro. I was kind of bummed at that. All the 'reviews I watched said it was dual speaker. My bad. Now I have no complaints. Great phone

CHlCKEN

Oct 17, 2013
My review of the LG G2 running CM11 Android 4.4.4

Wanted to make this little review here on xda and have others guy with cm11 share. Before I start I am running almost the latest nightly on the D801.

Hardware: Obviously CM can't change the hardware but all the awesomeness about the G2 like the compact design and decent camera, only decent because of the slow focus and poor performance inside buildings and houses but if you're outside the phone will take amazing pics. Speakers have good quality compared to nexus 5 with same volume but if you're a headphone user like me you won't really care much.

CynagonMod Itself: Goodbye LG UI was the first thing I said when I loaded up my phone with cm11 I was happy to let go of the kinda ugly UI which was a bit slow sometimes but was actually much faster compared to touchwiz either way cm brought stutter and lag free performance which should be the standard, because when iPhone users use android its probably a galaxy with touchwiz and its slow, so they think android is slow. Make more phones like the nexus 5 Google but please fix its flaws! So cm11 on the g2 is fast, I'm able to play games also much more smoothly without any lag, on the LG UI I had to turn on force 4x for simple games like tr2 to run well. I'm also very happy with the theme I have going its called slim .. And it ain't 99 cents its a bit more its my favorite theme right now next to flux.

The few bass of cm11 on g2 (very little): there is not much to dislike about cm11 nightlies to have a few bugs here and there I have so far only found 2 that have to do with the screen and camera.. Let's start with the screen not often but happens sometimes the screen will display white and black lines through the middle of the screen for less than a second this isn't really that annoying since it rarely happens maybe once a week, sometimes twice a day etc right now I tweaked the dev options to force GPU to maybe help it not occur but its totally livable through .. Next up a actual annoyance and its the camera the cm camera just straight up can't take photos inside and in low light its faster than the lg camera which I had but I think the fact it does not give time to take the shot is the reason they are so crappy next is the flash I rarely use the flash but when I do it is like taking a picture with a nexus 5 the flash never remains on to wait for a good lighting its creating it just flashes once and is done taking the shot this will resault in real crappy shots. But outside pictures look how they would normally and that's where photos really matter .

So yeah I would love to make YouTube videos and review phones but I don't have the equipment yet and I'm brainstorming channel names I want Cyan in the name .. I don't wonna use chlcken lmfao.

spookhc

Jun 20, 2010
I am coming from a Galaxy Note 2 and there are definitely both pros and cons about the G2 compared to the SGN2.
Display:I love amoled's blacks .I thought the display of the G2 would be a lot worse than note 2's and the blacks would be too gray,but i was pleasantly surprised with it.It's still not as black as amoled but its fine,not too grayish.About the size-just 0.3 inches difference but in real life its huge difference.Its like i've cut note2's display about 30% .

User experience:it's ok.Its overall fluid and smooth with a little bit of stutter here and there.Touchwiz has been as smooth for me as is G2's UI,but the stylus was incredible ,i loved it and i miss it still.Otherwise G2's UI is satisfactory.As of AOSP roms,i'll get to that in a while.

Battery:When i first got the G2 it made 6 hours of SoT,now it generally makes about 5.At first i thought battery life would be even better with the G2 than the note 2 but eventually my experience got the same.I've had top of about 8 hours of SOT with note 2,i had about 7.40 with the G2,with both phones normal usage gives me 5 hours SOT.

Build quality:The first touch to the G2 was quite good.I was expecting a little less of the build quality,but it appeared better than i thought.I've had the phone for about a month now and I am having controversial experience with the back buttons.At times they seem quite nice but more often side buttons are more comfortable for me.Too good there is the Knock on feature,it it wasn't present in the G2 I am not sure i could get used to the back buttons.On the other hand back buttons make a little hole on the back which makes the phone very comfortable to hold in the hand.

A few extra words: Development for the G2 seems ok generally,not as huge as samsung's phones but still satisfactory.BUT it is really sh*tty imo that each kernel is only compatible with each rom and needs a special version for different roms.All the phones i had before the G2 just had one or two types of kernels.With nexus phones any kernel works with any rom,and with htc and samsung phones any stock kernel works with any stock rom and any aosp kernel works with any aosp rom.G2 disappointed me with that.

Overall i am satisfied with the G2 and like it a lot.I can get used to it despite its negative sides and i enjoy the positives a lot.

Last edited:

Michalko5896

Jun 16, 2014
What I like on my LG G2:
+ Big display with nice colors
+ Really good camera
+ System with lot of usefull features and customization
+ FullHD 5,2" display, Snapdragon 800 + 2GB RAM and 13MP camera with OIS for great price
+ Great battery life

- Build quality is pretty bad, everything creak. Shiny back cover is terrible.
- Cannot unlock bootloader
- Serious issues in system (lag while updating weather widget info, no support for ART, home screen button delay, launcher redraws, old menu button)
- No support for 4K or 120FPS 720p video recording on stock but hardware and chipset supports it
- Strange update distribution, France is on 20B, almost every country except Italy is on 20D and Italy on 20F. Why not same update for every Europe country?!

wulsic

Aug 21, 2013
Nijmegen
OnePlus 8 Pro
What I like on my LG G2:
+ Big display with nice colors
+ Really good camera
+ System with lot of usefull features and customization
+ FullHD 5,2" display, Snapdragon 800 + 2GB RAM and 13MP camera with OIS for great price
+ Great battery life

- Build quality is pretty bad, everything creak. Shiny back cover is terrible.
- Cannot unlock bootloader
- Serious issues in system (lag while updating weather widget info, no support for ART, home screen button delay, launcher redraws, old menu button)
- No support for 4K or 120FPS 720p video recording on stock but hardware and chipset supports it
- Strange update distribution, France is on 20B, almost every country except Italy is on 20D and Italy on 20F. Why not same update for every Europe country?!
Build quality well it needed to be light, The creak could be fixed with putting something between maybe idk or buy a hardcase or gelcase then you fixed the creak and the shiny back cover problem.
Yes bootloader 4.4.2 isnt yet unlocked by someone but see this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2715496
Lagg maybe because thermal throttling isoff idk or it is on 4.4.2
No support is also i think to maybe save space cause more frames means more space and if you have like 16gb then the storage will go fast full. And i thought that a human cant see more then 60fps so its unnecesary right?
And about the update distribution well its weird a bit but you also got the same with Samsung devices.

ppcpirate

Dec 24, 2009
Has anyone dropped their phone on concrete yet? I've dropped my Thunderbolt a bunch of times...there was barely a dent on it. Do you think the G2 will stand an impact from waist high?

I've dropped the phone a couple of times, luckily i had a case. Though it didn't help with a pressure crack the screen developed while phone was in my pocket when I got in the car. Had to shell out $200 for replacement just a few months after getting the phone.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

. Battery

I'm not very picky so here we go:

User Experience has been great. i'm coming from an s3. I like the sleekness of the device. The thin bezels make the s3 seem clunky. Navigating menu's and around the phone has been fantastic. Of course some of this novelty is due to a new toy, but this really is a superb phone imo.

Features I really like the knock knock feature. quickmemo is neat but maybe a novelty.

Battery Battery has been very nice. I have yet to charge my phone and its been 24 hours. Got it at around 77% had it plugged into computers for about 10 minutes trying to get adb to work. It's down to 30% now. Wifi does not drain. I went down 5% in 7 hours.

Build Quality Build quality seems very sturdy. Back plate is a little "Mushy" if you press it. The heft really makes it feel premium. Screen is very nice. No headphones but i have much better headphones than the $22 quadbeats (which aren't bad).

Verizon.
    Verizon also

. Battery

Verizon Variant, I previously owned N4, ONE, DNA, and S3, so my comparisons are based off those.

User Experience
    This is absolutely the smoothest,lag free phone I've EVER used. Its ridiculous

Features
    The display is beautiful, I like it better than my ONE. Having such thin bezels makes it really pop. Hard to really explain. I love the keyboard, I've always preceded Swiftkey, but do not feel the need to switch on this phone. The mms has customization features above any other phone I've had, and the lay out of everything from dialer to settings is absolutely stunning.
    Only complaint-The ONE with Boomsound spoiled me. I miss the quality of the external speakers, Verizon removed one of the dual speakers on there G2 to fit in the wireless charging and you can tell. Its not bad, just not amazing like everything else on this phone. Back to Bluetooth speaker for my podcasts. But really no,big deal. The camera is the best I've ever used. Better than ONE and my wife's S4. Picture quality and interface.

Battery
    I've had this a full day. I charged it fully overnight and have been using it regularly, browsing internet, since 630 am so that's 7 hours of usage and I'm on 71%. Exact same usage on my ONE and phone would be dead an hour ago and plugged in. Battery is EXCELLENT.

BUILD QUALITY

I am not a,fan of Samsung at all because I hate the feel of there phones. Feel cheap. I was concerned about the G2 feeling the same because it's plastic as well. It doesn't. Maybe it's because of the way they stepped there battery but it feels extremely solid. The weight to it makes it feel really good in your hand, and there is no" hollow" feel to it. The plastic back feels nice and looks beautiful. I wish Verizon hadn't changed the back buttons though, but that's super minor.

As you can tell, I've drunk the cool aid and am going back for seconds. This phone is the best I've ever owned. P E R I O D