Brand new to the Galaxy Note 3

Search This thread

Nick Fury

May 24, 2012
Coventry
Hi all just a quick thread to say that im new to the Galaxy Note 3 N9005.

I bought it online yesterday only paid £320 for a brand new sim free in a sealed box so got a real bargain.

First impressions are wow, what a beast. So much power. So fast. So much battery life.

In the past i have ported apps for the Galaxy S3 I9300 ( previous device ) and once I have gotten used to this device I will start porting some more apps where possible and where needed.

So hopefully I will be seing you all around the forum.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

joebongo

Jun 8, 2005
Welcome. I just got mine 2 weeks ago and paid more than that!

Where did you get it?

Is it the 16 or 32gb one?

It's the daddeh of phones. Make no mistake and I have already got over the feeling like a tit phase when making calls.

Cheers,

Joe

3vo3d

Feb 13, 2012
Wow that really is a good price. Nice one.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Free mobile app

Nick Fury

May 24, 2012
Coventry
Welcome. I just got mine 2 weeks ago and paid more than that!

Where did you get it?

Is it the 16 or 32gb one?

It's the daddeh of phones. Make no mistake and I have already got over the feeling like a tit phase when making calls.

Cheers,

Joe

I got it off gumtree plus was local aswell and its the 32GB so saved like £300 on it. Complete bargain.

May 4, 2014
I got it off gumtree plus was local aswell and its the 32GB so saved like £300 on it. Complete bargain.

Nice price. I got one a smidge more from ebay. Problem is the buggers lie about having things in stock, so I'm waiting at least 10 days before they even post it.
awesome_angry_face_round_sticker-r4372baa943f14ca7b9234511a91b97e2_v9wth_8byvr_50.jpg

To get it that cheap, and local, nice. Didn't even think of checking out Gumtree over here (Australia). Looking now.. I probably should have. D: Damn, there's a N9000 going for $400 new. Or 16GB N9005 $465 new. Cry.

Last edited:

Nick Fury

May 24, 2012
Coventry
Nice price. I got one a smidge more from ebay. Problem is the buggers lie about having things in stock, so I'm waiting at least 10 days before they even post it.
awesome_angry_face_round_sticker-r4372baa943f14ca7b9234511a91b97e2_v9wth_8byvr_50.jpg

To get it that cheap, and local, nice. Didn't even think of checking out Gumtree over here (Australia). Looking now.. I probably should have. D: Damn, there's a N9000 going for $400 new. Or 16GB N9005 $465 new. Cry.

At least you will remember next time

Kangal

Jan 3, 2006
Hey there Avenger!
I wrote a (long) guide on the Note 3 and Android in general on how to get the most out of it, I think it might be of some help to you !!

First things first, the Snapdragon version is much better (4G, faster processor, better battery life).
And the Black colour is better it has leathered-texture, the white still feels plasticky. Besides, white bezels on a black screen look horrid.

Secondly, we've got a really stable 4.3 base, its solid. The 4.4 is good too, but has a few bugs for heaps of people.
Because of that, 4.3 is actually better since stepping up to 4.4 gives you no advantages.
And if you upgrade to 4.4 you CANNOT downgrade back to 4.3, which means you miss out on Alliance ROM by sparky_b, its teh bestest.

Sticking with Samsung/TouchWizz base is better because you get proper drivers for the cameras, radios, and all the stability/endurance. No need to tweak it yourself.
Also you get some exclusive goodies like Samsung Store (freebies), Samsung Dive (Find my iPhone equivalent) and first-party apps like Phone, Contacts, Camera, S Pen which are vastly superior to AOSP ones. And stuff like Auto-launch Action/App when S Pen removed, Palm rejection when the S Pen is removed, Air command shortcut, Take a screen shot, Contextual Menu/Popups when pen hovers over, Alarm when S Pen left behind and finally MULTI-WINDOW function.

So here's what you should do:
1-r00t the device with CF-ROOT (easy) or use Root de la Vega to keep Knox counter on 0x0 (warranty purposes).
2-install a custom Recovery like TeamWin (easy) or use kn0x0ut (keep warranty)
3-backup your efs/system (just in case you might need it later)
4-flash VillainMOD or a Stock ROM (and de-bloat it, if need be).

Step 5: Add some powerful MODs!
Some helpful MODs like Volume Booster, SecMMS, Unlimited MultiWindow, Call Record are there to fix what Samsung broke.

Step 6: Xpose the potential with The Xposed Module
Installing the phenomenal Xposed framework, and these few handy modules are a must (XPrivacy, Adblock, Tinted Status Bar, XBlast Tools, GravityBox, Xposed Additions, etc etc)

Step 7: Contribute back to this community
Buy the dev's a beer, I mean a few bucks is nothing... but it goes a LONG way to motivate devs and help them keep going!
Also buy PRO versions of Apps from The Google Market especially;
SuperSU, Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, 500px, Apex, Kii, SwitchR (I'm sure I missed a couple).

Step 8: Accessorize (my top picks)
- This awesome case
- This awesome screen protector
- This memory card
- This desk/bedroom cradle
- This car cradle
- This car fast-charger
- This Portable Miracast dongle
- This controller to use the Sixaxis App and play games with this mount/diy to place the phone over the controller
- Otherwise, this easier but less advanced solution, The MOGA pocket / PRO controller

Step 9: Gaming!
There's heaps of free and paid Android Games, I won't list any here.
But to get the most out of it you'll need to grab one of those controllers listed above and its associated SIXAXIS App / MOGA App (screen taps mapped to physical buttons on controllers).

These emulators which run fullspeed, with sound, no frameskip, and no problems:
PS One (FPSe)
Nintendo 64 (Mupen64)
Gameboy Advance (VGBA)
SNES (Super GNES)
Sega (iGensNoid)

These other emulators which (aren't finished/smooth) but might be useful:
PSP (PPSSPP)
DS Lite (DraStic)
Dreamcast (Reicast)
Windows 98/DOS (Winulator)

...whew that was a lot of typing and a lot of information, I deserve a Thanks : )

Nick Fury

May 24, 2012
Coventry
I will give you thanks for that.

And yes eventually i will be rooting and custom recovery ( already download ) plus already got a stock odin firmware.

Phone is fully upgraded to KK and i will be using on stock for a week to truley test this beauty.

Then i will root, custom kernel, maybe a few mods.

I will be keeping the rom as it is so no custom rom as dont want to loose any goodness.

Mine is of course the 4G varient.

philfrommancs

Aug 28, 2008
Had mine for a week and this is the 1 St phone in a long time I haven't rooted on the 1 St day and flashed custom firmware on. ..
I dare say I will at some point as I am normally a flashaholic but I'm really impressed so far just as it is...???

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

elektroda

Sep 28, 2013
Excellent post there Kangal, such a great summary all in one place.
So true!
No problem.
Heaps of potential in this miniature computer !

You just make my second good day with that post mate. :good: I thought 4.3 rom was bad side on my N9005, guess I was wrong.
I got excellent deal on brand new N9005 sim unlocked and sealed and grab it. I held my friends note 2 and I was really impressed with it since I was thinking it would be too big in my hand so I'll have difficulties handling with it, guess what it was just the opposite, I love it!
My old i9000 did his job pretty well until replacement screen went bad.

May 4, 2014
Yay mine just arrived.

Turned it on.. the start up jingle got cut off. And then it just did that pulsating logo glow at me for... I don't know... ten minutes.

Since it felt like I was installing Windows on at PC I tried the PC solution; held down power for 10 seconds. That actually worked and it turned off. Turn on again, cut off jingle again, pulsating glow again.

Is this supposed to happen?

If I read the above the first thing I'd ask is "Is it a clone?"
But I'm as sure as can be from appearances that it isn't.

Kangal

Jan 3, 2006
Yay mine just arrived.

Turned it on.. the start up jingle got cut off. And then it just did that pulsating logo glow at me for... I don't know... ten minutes.

Since it felt like I was installing Windows on at PC I tried the PC solution; held down power for 10 seconds. That actually worked and it turned off. Turn on again, cut off jingle again, pulsating glow again.

Is this supposed to happen?

If I read the above the first thing I'd ask is "Is it a clone?"
But I'm as sure as can be from appearances that it isn't.

Its not meant to happen.
First use, it should pause for 2 minutes then put you to Samsung's Setup Screen.

Sounds like your unit is either factory defective, used by someone and bricked (fixable?), a dummy unit, or a clone.

There's a thread here, check that and make sure its not a dummy or a clone.

After that contact the seller, and see if you could get a replacement since yours arrived defective.

And if that's not an option, and it is genuine... see if you can use Odin and flash something to it like root/CWM. It could just be that the boot loader is not compatible with the kernel/ROM... so flashing a different kernel/ROM might solve the issue. You can flash a different boot loader, but you really need to be careful with such things.

May 4, 2014
A factory reset and cache wipe appears to have fixed the problem.

Perhaps it's just because I threw the battery in and tried to use it straight away? Is it normal to expect no proper operation out of the box until it's charged? It was also getting hot in literally zero seconds while doing its pulsatey glowy business.

After the reset, it finally booted to whatever setting screen and promptly died (battery). So now it's charging.

But yeah. Had to factory reset a device fresh out of the box. What the. :|

My only guess is that it just didn't want to behave with the virgin battery and that somehow messed things up. The phone/package looks as legit as legit can be. Stylus tips, seal, branding, the whole shebang.

Last edited:

Kangal

Jan 3, 2006
A factory reset and cache wipe appears to have fixed the problem.

Perhaps it's just because I threw the battery in and tried to use it straight away? Is it normal to expect no proper operation out of the box until it's charged? It was also getting hot in literally zero seconds while doing its pulsatey glowy business.

After the reset, it finally booted to whatever setting screen and promptly died (battery). So now it's charging.

But yeah. Had to factory reset a device fresh out of the box. What the. :|

My only guess is that it just didn't want to behave with the virgin battery and that somehow messed things up. The phone/package looks as legit as legit can be. Stylus tips, seal, branding, the whole shebang.

That's typical behaviour of a dead battery. But in your case I don't know what is the deal.
I didn't know you were able to do a factory reset (from recovery?). I thought you were just stuck in a bootloop.
Anyways, enjoy your new spouse ; )

elektroda

Sep 28, 2013
Is there any chance you could root N9005XXUDMJ7 firmware without tripping knox counter? :confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey there Avenger!
    I wrote a (long) guide on the Note 3 and Android in general on how to get the most out of it, I think it might be of some help to you !!

First things first, the Snapdragon version is much better (4G, faster processor, better battery life).
    And the Black colour is better it has leathered-texture, the white still feels plasticky. Besides, white bezels on a black screen look horrid.

Secondly, we've got a really stable 4.3 base, its solid. The 4.4 is good too, but has a few bugs for heaps of people.
    Because of that, 4.3 is actually better since stepping up to 4.4 gives you no advantages.
    And if you upgrade to 4.4 you CANNOT downgrade back to 4.3, which means you miss out on Alliance ROM by sparky_b, its teh bestest.

Sticking with Samsung/TouchWizz base is better because you get proper drivers for the cameras, radios, and all the stability/endurance. No need to tweak it yourself.
    Also you get some exclusive goodies like Samsung Store (freebies), Samsung Dive (Find my iPhone equivalent) and first-party apps like Phone, Contacts, Camera, S Pen which are vastly superior to AOSP ones. And stuff like Auto-launch Action/App when S Pen removed, Palm rejection when the S Pen is removed, Air command shortcut, Take a screen shot, Contextual Menu/Popups when pen hovers over, Alarm when S Pen left behind and finally MULTI-WINDOW function.

So here's what you should do:
    1-r00t the device with CF-ROOT (easy) or use Root de la Vega to keep Knox counter on 0x0 (warranty purposes).
    2-install a custom Recovery like TeamWin (easy) or use kn0x0ut (keep warranty)
    3-backup your efs/system (just in case you might need it later)
    4-flash VillainMOD or a Stock ROM (and de-bloat it, if need be).

Step 5: Add some powerful MODs!
    Some helpful MODs like Volume Booster, SecMMS, Unlimited MultiWindow, Call Record are there to fix what Samsung broke.

Step 6: Xpose the potential with The Xposed Module
    Installing the phenomenal Xposed framework, and these few handy modules are a must (XPrivacy, Adblock, Tinted Status Bar, XBlast Tools, GravityBox, Xposed Additions, etc etc)

Step 7: Contribute back to this community
    Buy the dev's a beer, I mean a few bucks is nothing... but it goes a LONG way to motivate devs and help them keep going!
    Also buy PRO versions of Apps from The Google Market especially;
    SuperSU, Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, 500px, Apex, Kii, SwitchR (I'm sure I missed a couple).

Step 8: Accessorize (my top picks)
    - This awesome case
    - This awesome screen protector
    - This memory card
    - This desk/bedroom cradle
    - This car cradle
    - This car fast-charger
    - This Portable Miracast dongle
    - This controller to use the Sixaxis App and play games with this mount/diy to place the phone over the controller
    - Otherwise, this easier but less advanced solution, The MOGA pocket / PRO controller

Step 9: Gaming!
    There's heaps of free and paid Android Games, I won't list any here.
    But to get the most out of it you'll need to grab one of those controllers listed above and its associated SIXAXIS App / MOGA App (screen taps mapped to physical buttons on controllers).

These emulators which run fullspeed, with sound, no frameskip, and no problems:
    PS One (FPSe)
    Nintendo 64 (Mupen64)
    Gameboy Advance (VGBA)
    SNES (Super GNES)
    Sega (iGensNoid)

These other emulators which (aren't finished/smooth) but might be useful:
    PSP (PPSSPP)
    DS Lite (DraStic)
    Dreamcast (Reicast)
    Windows 98/DOS (Winulator)

...whew that was a lot of typing and a lot of information, I deserve a Thanks : )