[Q]Kitkat and USB mass storage mode

Search This thread

turbare

Sep 23, 2009
Bucharest
If I recall well, there was some Samsung app update (saw it in play store) along with some other apps on my phone, and I uninspiredly hit "update all".
After that, the scripts stopped working, here's what I'm getting at this point.

1 - when trying to enable mass storage
2 - when trying to get back to MTP

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    41 KB · Views: 732
  • 2.png
    2.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 698
May 4, 2014
Any news on these problems?
I've just installed Omega ROM 23, Compulsion 16, SG USB Mass Storage Enabler 2.3.1 and DriveDroid on my international Note 3, but I only ever get a Removable Disk icon in Windows, which then asks me to insert a disk. I can revert back to MTP just fine in all cases.

I know it's a SG4 thread but just wondering if something was indeed up with BusyBox or some other evil update.

Edit: I also receive the error:
Can't create /sys/devices/platform/msms_hsub/gadget/lun0/file : No such file or directory.

Last edited:

mguidry

Dec 9, 2010
Lafayette, Louisiana
Any news on these problems?
I've just installed Omega ROM 23, Compulsion 16, SG USB Mass Storage Enabler 2.3.1 and DriveDroid on my international Note 3, but I only ever get a Removable Disk icon in Windows, which then asks me to insert a disk. I can revert back to MTP just fine in all cases.

I know it's a SG4 thread but just wondering if something was indeed up with BusyBox or some other evil update.

Edit: I also receive the error:
Can't create /sys/devices/platform/msms_hsub/gadget/lun0/file : No such file or directory.

Any update on the cant create file error?

xxspirit4musicxx

Dec 28, 2014
RE: Important

December 28, 2014 by Michael

I successfully accessed the files through my Sony TV and the SD Card but I need your help. The script and the program worked. The Sony plays audio files and pictures but the audiovisual files (e.g. MP4, AVI) are being hidden by the Android File System. I then used Xpose to override the SD Card permissions via HandleExternalModule. It worked and had overridden the permissions but I could not change ownership. Regardless, the Android File System is still overriding the viewing of audiovisual files. It is hiding them under Mass Storage Mode. What in the world can I do next?

Tech specs. of my phone: S4 Active; 4.4.2; Rooted; Factory Unlocked; Not running CM.

[/LIST]

Even does not dismount it from Android, which is nice. I hate to think how that's gonna blow up in my face at some indeterminate point in the future. Almost tempted to add some conditions so I can use it as a toggle.... but for now its awesome.

destructionj

Dec 29, 2014
Chicago
Hy,
I have the same problem with my S4 9505.
I looked on the Script on Post 2 and i see a problem on my S4.
The original Sript was this:

setprop persist.sys.usb.config mass_storage,adb
echo /dev/block/vold/179:33 > /sys/devices/platform/msm_hsusb/gadget/lun0/file

The new code thats working for my S4 was this...
echo /dev/block/vold/179:32 > /sys/devices/platform/msm_hsusb/gadget/lun0/file

See only the 33 to 32 changed and it worked...
I hope that Help all people that have the same problem...

You can use the SManager App to change the text of the Script or use my changed...
I have a Samsung Gt-I9505 with KitKat 4.4.2 (root)
Worked on my i337 KK 4.4.4 with sickness v3 rom. Now I can play music with usb in the car as well. The Bluetooth quality was a bit lacking in my cruze. Ran the script, threw music on the card, plugged in and good to go. :good::good:

atourman

Jan 9, 2015
First of all, HUGE thanks to jjdoctor and Alfons_Hetler for their work. I am running KK 4.4.4 on a rooted S4 SGH-M919 (T-Mobile USA), and had no luck with the earlier solutions based on the USB Mass Storage Enabler app (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2297888). The following has enabled UMS without a hitch:

1. Download & install SManager script editor from Google Play Store
2. Create folder \KitKatUMS somewhere on the SD card
3. Place UMS & MTP script files from Alfons_Hetler's post (#27) into this new folder
4. Open SManager and open the UMS file
5. Select "Su" (green skull and crossbones icon), "Boot" (cogwheel icon), and "Bg" (& icon). (Note:Selecting "Boot" will ensure that the script enabling UMS mode is automatically run each time the phone starts up )
6. Select "Save" and "Run"

Note: If the phone is still in MTP mode, a one-time selection of Mass Storage Mode may be required within the USB Mass Storage Enabler app. I already had this app on my phone, before coming to this thread, and don't know if it's a prerequisite for having everything work

Reactions: turbare

turbare

Sep 23, 2009
Bucharest
First of all, HUGE thanks to jjdoctor and Alfons_Hetler for their work. I am running KK 4.4.4 on a rooted S4 SGH-M919 (T-Mobile USA), and had no luck with the earlier solutions based on the USB Mass Storage Enabler app (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2297888). The following has enabled UMS without a hitch:

3. Place UMS & MTP script files from Alfons_Hetler's post (#27) into this new folder
5. Select "Su" (green skull and crossbones icon), "Boot" (cogwheel icon), and "Bg" (& icon). (Note:Selecting "Boot" will ensure that the script enabling UMS mode is automatically run each time the phone starts up )

Note: If the phone is still in MTP mode, a one-time selection of Mass Storage Mode may be required within the USB Mass Storage Enabler app. I already had this app on my phone, before coming to this thread, and don't know if it's a prerequisite for having everything work

Thank you thank you thank you!
It worked! After the latest update I had some issues with this, but following your exact steps fixed this and I'm once again able to mount my S4 Mini's card as UMS.

poppadiziac

Nov 5, 2013
Not working for me

I'm having an issue. Its mounting as a drive, but not a storage device. Its not opening like a storage device normally would. I'm running 4.4.2 Kit Kat on a sch i545. Please help me !!

tony_2018

Aug 17, 2009
Man it sucks that I can't connect my S5 to my car head unit. After reading the last few pages, will this method work for the Verizon S5?

mistermester

Mar 21, 2015
UMS succesful on rooted SG4 I9505

Hi guys

I just came across this thread, trying to get my SG4 I9505 to switch to USB Mass Storage mode, instead of the useless MTP mode.

The app called "Mass Storage Mode Note3*ROOT" from "Sanjo" works for me.
Its a very simple app, that does only and exactly that - switches between UMS and MTP.
UMS-mode sticks around even after disconnecting and reconnecting USB-cable, but after phone-reboot I need to run the app and click "UMS" again.

Please note: The app requires ROOT.
Please note: My SG4 I9505 is running a wanam lite 4.4.2 rom (which is quite close to stock, but much nicer optimized and perfectly stable).

I hope this helps someone out there (this is also my first post here :)

Best Regards,
Erik

Reactions: turbare

turbare

Sep 23, 2009
Bucharest
Hi guys

I just came across this thread, trying to get my SG4 I9505 to switch to USB Mass Storage mode, instead of the useless MTP mode.

Its a very simple app, that does only and exactly that - switches between UMS and MTP.
UMS-mode sticks around even after disconnecting and reconnecting USB-cable, but after phone-reboot I need to run the app and click "UMS" again.

Please note: My SG4 I9505 is running a wanam lite 4.4.2 rom (which is quite close to stock, but much nicer optimized and perfectly stable).

Best Regards,
Erik
Just tested, works on my S4 Mini with KitKat as well.

dbotev

Apr 6, 2010
This worked for me:
Mass Storage Enable Routine for the External SD Cad on Samsung Galxy S3 I9305 with KitKat Android 4.4.4 Build KTU84P.I9305xxufnl1
1. Root the phone!
2. Update the SU Libraries (SUperSu on PlayStore)!
3. Install Mass Storage Mode Note3*ROOT (PlayStore)!
4. Install SManager (Script Manager , PlayStore)!
5. Create folder KitKatUMS somewhere on the internal SD card!
6. Place the scripts from the ZIP File into the KitKatUMS Folder!
Here is the text of the Enable Script (File Name “Mass Storage Mode”:
echo /dev/block/vold/179:17 > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-usbgadget/gadget/lun0/file
7. Open the Script File “Mass Storage Mode” with SManager
8. Select "Su" (green skull and crossbones icon), "Boot" (cogwheel icon), and "Bg" (& icon). (Note:Selecting "Boot" will ensure that the script enabling UMS mode is automatically run each time the phone starts up )
9. Select "Save" and "Run"
10. Open the Enabler (Install Mass Storage Mode Note3*ROOT (PlayStore)
11. Select MSM Mode
If the Solution does not work with your phone, try folowing:
- Solution 2: The Path “…*/s3c-usbgadget/gadget/lun0/file” is not correct. Go to /sys/devices/platform/ using File Explorer and try to findout the corect driver path
- Solution 3: “179:17” is not the correct parameter... Open the mounted-devices-list (<root>/proc/mount) with text editor and look for the access parameter of your SD card.

For instance look for similar text: “/dev/block/vold/179:17 /mnt/media_rw/extsdCard vfat

Usually “179:17” or “s3c-usbgadget” are to be replaced with the proper values.
JJdoctor used in the primary script (Post #2) msm_hsusb instead s3c-usbgadget
Corect the script file with the proper text and try again!

All this is on your own risk!

Attachments

• USBMassStorEnab.zip
    617 bytes · Views: 178
Last edited:

SanjayG

Feb 20, 2012
Hi, Thank for advice I have try on my G3 mini(LG-D722). No luck I check and replace the 179:17 with 179:65
Kindly advice how can I check and replace the "s3c-usbgadget" with proper text

Thx

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

:D :D :D :D
Thank you JJdoctor and dbotev
Get my LG G3 mini (LG D-722) working in USB mass storage mode
I follows dbotev instructions and used JJdoctor script and edit the value value to 179:65

:good:

quinielascom

Oct 28, 2010
Hi guys

Best Regards,
Erik

Thanks, tested with my SG4 SGH-M919V running 4.4.2 stock and it works fine.

Link to App in Play Store: Mass Storage Mode Enabler

Last edited:

MortSubit

Apr 25, 2015
HELP!

Hi, I have a Samsung S3 I9300 rooted with Cyanogenmod 11 and KK 4.4.4
I just followed each step and I have the following questions:
a) When doing this, the mobile should be connected to the computer (USB)?.
b) Before doing this, should the USB Debugging box be activated?.
c) I run the script using 3c-usbgadget and nothing happened. Is there any message that should appear in Script Manager after running it?. It did not show me any error message, neither succed. Do I have to reboot?.
d) Im using File Manager and when I try to look for the parameter (179:17) I access to Root folder and said "Access was denied". Know why?. How can I get the proper number?. If it helps, I only have the Internal SD memory.

Please help me with this, as I'm trying to enable USB Mass Storage to look for deleted files!!.

Thanks.

This worked for me:
Mass Storage Enable Routine for the External SD Cad on Samsung Galxy S3 I9305 with KitKat Android 4.4.4 Build KTU84P.I9305xxufnl1
1. Root the phone!
2. Update the SU Libraries (SUperSu on PlayStore)!
3. Install Mass Storage Mode Note3*ROOT (PlayStore)!
4. Install SManager (Script Manager , PlayStore)!
5. Create folder KitKatUMS somewhere on the internal SD card!
6. Place the scripts from the ZIP File into the KitKatUMS Folder!
Here is the text of the Enable Script (File Name “Mass Storage Mode”:
echo /dev/block/vold/179:17 > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-usbgadget/gadget/lun0/file
7. Open the Script File “Mass Storage Mode” with SManager
8. Select "Su" (green skull and crossbones icon), "Boot" (cogwheel icon), and "Bg" (& icon). (Note:Selecting "Boot" will ensure that the script enabling UMS mode is automatically run each time the phone starts up )
9. Select "Save" and "Run"
10. Open the Enabler (Install Mass Storage Mode Note3*ROOT (PlayStore)
11. Select MSM Mode
If the Solution does not work with your phone, try folowing:
- Solution 2: The Path “…*/s3c-usbgadget/gadget/lun0/file” is not correct. Go to /sys/devices/platform/ using File Explorer and try to findout the corect driver path
- Solution 3: “179:17” is not the correct parameter... Open the mounted-devices-list (<root>/proc/mount) with text editor and look for the access parameter of your SD card.

For instance look for similar text: “/dev/block/vold/179:17 /mnt/media_rw/extsdCard vfat

Usually “179:17” or “s3c-usbgadget” are to be replaced with the proper values.
JJdoctor used in the primary script (Post #2) msm_hsusb instead s3c-usbgadget
Corect the script file with the proper text and try again!

All this is on your own risk!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I used a HTC One X for two years and I used it a lot as a Dropbox synced external USB mass storage device, so am kinda interested in getting my S4 doing the same thing. Pretty much out of the box I left it updating and it's now a shiny S4 running 4.4.2.

Sadly, after the update it seems that it is somewhat crippled.

Apparently, the thing to use is USB mass storage enabler, for which it needs root. So I rooted using Autoroot (and triggered Knox 0x1) and installed Busybox, which is all working well. I also found that apps cant write to the SD Card, so I fixed that too....

However, all the different ways I have tried the USB mass storage app, the best I can get is an empty USB drive.

I've trawled through a series of other threads and blogs, but they all seem to recommend using the same applications and techniques, which seems not to be working for me.

Any other suggestions greatly received.

I have scripts that can enable it on KK. Check the attachment. It has 2 scripts. Copy them to ur phone and use Script Manager (SManager) to run it under Root, One to enable UMS and other to disable it.

I have made shortcuts of the scripts from SManager on my Home page so that I can press one to enable and other to disable it. have fun...
    Thanks to jjdoctor. Works like a charm. I have a Samsung S9505, Kitkat 4.4.2, rooted with Knox 0x1.

1. I installed SManager from google play.
    2. I downloaded the scripts to /storage/emulated/0/documents/scripts/massstorage
    3. I opened SManager and navigated to the above script directory.
    4. I selected the "Mass Storage" script.
    5. I enabled "su" (green skull and crossbones second from left) and "bg" (looks like an &, second from right)
    6. I selected "run"
    7. Black screen with lines of text (it's a terminal) and it then appeared as a USB Mass Storage device.

Even does not dismount it from Android, which is nice. I hate to think how that's gonna blow up in my face at some indeterminate point in the future. Almost tempted to add some conditions so I can use it as a toggle.... but for now its awesome.
    So I used a HTC One X for two years and I used it a lot as a Dropbox synced external USB mass storage device, so am kinda interested in getting my S4 doing the same thing. Pretty much out of the box I left it updating and it's now a shiny S4 running 4.4.2.

Sadly, after the update it seems that it is somewhat crippled.

Apparently, the thing to use is USB mass storage enabler, for which it needs root. So I rooted using Autoroot (and triggered Knox 0x1) and installed Busybox, which is all working well. I also found that apps cant write to the SD Card, so I fixed that too....

However, all the different ways I have tried the USB mass storage app, the best I can get is an empty USB drive.

I've trawled through a series of other threads and blogs, but they all seem to recommend using the same applications and techniques, which seems not to be working for me.

Any other suggestions greatly received.
    How to use it my freind?? Should i just browse to location of the script and open them.and execute??

Sent from my C6902 using Tapatalk

Yes, execute in SManager with Root privileges
    UMS on S4 GT-I9505

Not Working on galaxy S4 Gt i9500

Hy,
    I have the same problem with my S4 9505.
    I looked on the Script on Post 2 and i see a problem on my S4.
    The original Sript was this:

echo /dev/block/vold/179:33 > /sys/devices/platform/msm_hsusb/gadget/lun0/file

The new code thats working for my S4 was this...
    echo /dev/block/vold/179:32 > /sys/devices/platform/msm_hsusb/gadget/lun0/file

See only the 33 to 32 changed and it worked...
    I hope that Help all people that have the same problem...

You can use the SManager App to change the text of the Script or use my changed...
    I have a Samsung Gt-I9505 with KitKat 4.4.2 (root)