Warning!! connect one X to pc copy files may cause SD space lost

Search This thread

Reckless187

Dec 28, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Heres a shot of Mine using Disk Usage App. about 6gb in System Data lol...

2012-05-02151732.png

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Yeah I think you're right. Still, it's strange that seedoubleu is reporting to have more than 14GB of 'bad sectors', what would be hidden there?

I still think this has something to do with the device's memory controller, because the 3+ GB really isn't accessible.

As Paul from MoDaCo said, HTC's not using the standard ICS MTP protocol. They've created a hybrid so the phone can support mass storage. Rather than letting the OS manage storage as a single disk, they're manipulating storage behind the scenes to create the illusion of two separate disks. It would make sense (to me) that what CHKDSK is viewing as bad sectors could be a virtual drive expanding and contracting. Just a guess.

P.S. - To further support this, something strange happened when I had the phone charging via USB. I was using Astro to move some files around and I got "disk full" errors. When connected via USB, even for charging, phone storage is locked on the device and isn't reopened until it's disconnected and the phone does a media scan. So HTC's obviously doing some voodoo in the background.

Last edited:

seedoubleu

Feb 17, 2011
Attached mine,

Funnily enough the System data has once again increased in size since I disconnected my phone (which I didn't do safely :eek:). Coincidence?

Reactions: scorror

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Try moving some apps from phone storage to SD (and vice versa) to see if that effects the size of the system file. If it does, that supports the virtual drive theory.

Birdskenburg

Apr 29, 2011
Hmm nice work HTC:rolleyes: Not very neat

So I guess we might get in to problems when using a large amount of the supposedly available capacity

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Hmm nice work HTC:rolleyes: Not very neat

So I guess we might get in to problems when using a large amount of the supposedly available capacity

It really shouldn't be an issue. If there's 10GB of crap on your phone and 25GB of available storage it doesn't matter which virtual drive it lives on. Using an interface like Astro you can see which virtual drive things are on and move them back and forth. Things like CHKDSK and other drive tools won't work though. I kind of like the approach HTC took vs. using MTP. It's faster for transferring files and easier when accessing the phone from a (Windows) PC.

seedoubleu

Feb 17, 2011
So this is a non issue really? If I were to upload a 1GB file for instance would that just reduce the size of the 'System data' folder to accommodate for that?

irishj

Apr 5, 2012
Dublin
I'm also seeing the same thing, but on my phone is showing 14160 MiB taken up by system data ?

I have no music / videos on the phone, just some games and apps, which according to diskusage is taking approx 5-8 GB. I've 3.7GB free !

Something is not right here

Reactions: Tableuraz

irishj

Apr 5, 2012
Dublin
How did you 'fix' the issue ?

Wipe SD card or factory reset or did you get to fix it at all ?

I did have loads of MP3 on my phone, but when space started to run low, I removed them all...but noticed it barely touched the free space. Must be some kind of caching going on when you use USB to copy stuff back and forth from your phone, but you would assume when you deleted the original content, that this would be removed too. Just speculation at this point...don't really know why this partition is eating so much space and what's contained within it.

I checked the SD card via FX explorer, but can't see the system data partition, so can't delete it.

I may have to wipe the SD card and see, but hate the hassle of setting up all my folders and favourite apps again :(

fallenwout

Oct 19, 2011
Just to clarify to everyone:
The bad sectors seen by chkdsk aren't broken sectors. But chkdsk is right in windows terms, it are sectors marked with the wrong property or a property unknown by windows. Knowing windows can perfectly handle FAT32 I will take a wild guess and say it is a wrong property.

To explain more:
If you delete a file, it is not thrown away, the sectors were it is on get the property "overwritable" so the OS shows them as "free space". Sectors assigned with a wrong property or not writable due to hardware error get the property "bad sector". Therefor it is theoreticaly possible to recover "bad sectors" if windows notices that those sectors are still readable AND writable. This is triggered by chkdsk /f /r

Like windows, your phone does NOT recognize bad sectors as writeable and ignores them as usable space, therefor you WILL loose that space on your phone.
The only solution I found so far is to copy your sd content to a PC, format it into FAT32 and copy the contect back. You will see you gained the amount of bad sectors back in free space.

edit: factory reset of your phone is absolutely NOT NECESsARY

irishj

Apr 5, 2012
Dublin
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info ! I'll wipe the SD card later via Windows and copy the content back and see what we have. I'll update once completed.

seedoubleu

Feb 17, 2011
Thanks for the info, will try this when I'm home. My main concern now is preventing it from happening again, any idea what causes the issue in the first place?

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

mmx6688

Dec 16, 2009
Amazon Fire TV
Just to clarify to everyone:
The bad sectors seen by chkdsk aren't broken sectors. But chkdsk is right in windows terms, it are sectors marked with the wrong property or a property unknown by windows. Knowing windows can perfectly handle FAT32 I will take a wild guess and say it is a wrong property.

To explain more:
If you delete a file, it is not thrown away, the sectors were it is on get the property "overwritable" so the OS shows them as "free space". Sectors assigned with a wrong property or not writable due to hardware error get the property "bad sector". Therefor it is theoreticaly possible to recover "bad sectors" if windows notices that those sectors are still readable AND writable. This is triggered by chkdsk /f /r

Like windows, your phone does NOT recognize bad sectors as writeable and ignores them as usable space, therefor you WILL loose that space on your phone.

Does that mean if we use pc to delete the files on phone'SD will cause those deleted space is locked and can not use any more? For instance you delete 1G on sd from PC but SD free space not change at all.

Sent from my HTC One X

irishj

Apr 5, 2012
Dublin
Completed the SD card wipe and formatted using windows [FAT32] and showed 25GB free

Copied all SD card contents back to phone and checked DiskUsage again and now shows 17GB free !!!!

Rebooted the phone and checked DiskUsage again, still shows 17GB free. That's just crazy...really want to know what's causing this.

Screenshots showing the differences attached

fallenwout

Oct 19, 2011
Does that mean if we use pc to delete the files on phone'SD will cause those deleted space is locked and can not use any more? For instance you delete 1G on sd from PC but SD free space not change at all.

Sent from my HTC One X

No, files with the property "overwritable" will be seen as free space. And if you delete them (doesnt matter if you use mac, windows, android, symbian...) you give them the property overwritable.

It is when an operating system handles the properties wrong, maybe an unknown property, maybe incomplete,... it is then when you get a bad sectors.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    -copy all contents to pc
    -format sd using PC not use phone format , otherwise after format you will loose 1G immediately
    -copy pc backup to sd

then you will get all space you lost.

Sent from my HTC One X
    This is the replay I got from HTC regarding this issue :

Dear Mahesh Kumar,

Thank you for contacting HTC.

We are dedicated in providing you the best quality service and answering your questions and concerns.

We understand how frustrating that can be and our sincere apology for all the inconvenience you are experiencing with your device.

As we understand that the memory of the phone storage is decreasing when you mount your device to your computer of your HTC One X device.

With response to the issue you are experiencing we found this issue on the HTC One X devices and we are currently investigating on this and will implement an update for you soon in order to fix it.

Thank you for your time and patience.

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to email us or call us at our contact center 1800-266-3566, Mon to Sun – 9.00 am to 8.00 pm.

Thank you for your continued patronage.

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Sushil

HTC
    If you are lucky, the free space is go down just the same size of the file you copied to it.

Interesting choice of words. I move a lot of music, pics, and docs between my PC and my phone and never noticed what you described. To test it, I just moved a PDF file from my PC to the phone via USB and storage decremented by the size of the file.

It's to the point now that everyone's loaded up their phones with a ton of different apps. I have 82 downloaded apps installed. As with every other Android phone, a specific app or combination of apps can cause strange behavior. So "luck" may not have anything to do with your storage issue. Your phone could have a defect in its NAND memory, but it could also be an app or utility you're using; especially if it's not optimized for ICS or the way HTC's segmented memory.

This is from Paul at MoDaCo...

"One of the downsides of Ice Cream Sandwich is that, with its one contiguous on-board memory, there is no option to connect this to your computer as good old ‘mass storage’. The One X gets around this by partition it’s memory in two blocks - the old style ‘/data’ partition which comes in at 2.11GB (where your apps and data go if you don’t ‘move to SD’) and the virtual / sdcard partition totaling 25.24GB, which can be accessed via mass storage! Personally, I can’t decide whether it’s better to have that one big space and be limited to MTP or to have this solution... but for people wanting to easily drop content on their device, mass storage is definitely a big plus."

Does it happen if you completely restore your device and try it without adding your own apps? If it doesn't, it's something you've done to the phone not vice versa.
    One interesting thing about the chkdsk is that it says:

Volume HTC STORAGE created 16/11/2061 6.05 PM

I have a sdcard prepared some 50 years in the future.
    I noticed yesterday that after updating Dark Meadow and my phone going funny and seemingly downloading twice I had lost 1GB of space and dropped to my last 200mb. I hooked up to my pc and checked the size of all the files and folders and it turned out I had lost 3GB of space!

I did the transfer data and format and have also restarted the phone twice and now I have my 3GB back but the phone is taking ages to do anything?

Looking at SystemPanel all four cores are working, my memory usage looks about the same as previously and the loaded applications and processes looks fine so what could be causing this severe slowdown?

I formatted to Fat32 and 16kb clusters as recommended. :(

Even I have always recommend to format SD by PC. But for your case I suggest you format it from your phone. Try it.