[Q] Cannot find matching CF-root

Search This thread
Jun 19, 2011
Bristol
Hey everyone, my phone is running 2.3.5 of Android and it is branded to Orange. My build number (and kernel version) is BVJVC. I cannot find the right cf root for me. There doesnt seem to be any for JVC. Can anyone help?

imgibby123

Feb 6, 2011
dundee
Hey everyone, my phone is running 2.3.5 of Android and it is branded to Orange. My build number (and kernel version) is BVJVC. I cannot find the right cf root for me. There doesnt seem to be any for JVC. Can anyone help?

Are you planning on rooting to then flash a custom rom or do you just need root access?
If you are planning on changing roms then just flash a pre rooted firmware or one that has a root solution available.

scubadude

Feb 6, 2012
Cape Town
urchindesign.co.za
What do you want cf-root for? If you want root to you can flash a custom ROM it doesn't really matter which one you use. If you want it to run you current stock ROM with root then it is better to run the correct one. I cannot find that one either. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

J_Caselles

Feb 4, 2012
There's no cf-root for JVC. I've only found a french forum with a very tricky way to root... far easier to flash another ROM that has cf-root. But come on, let's have a little more fun... ICS! ;)

Jun 19, 2011
Bristol
I want to change rom. Can I just flash any rom compatible with galaxy s i9000 or do you have to have compatible kernels? I have seen tutorials where it says to flash to something specific before flashing to the final one. If it's possible can someone send me a link to a custom pre-rooted rom which I can flash straight away onto my phone?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

scubadude

Feb 6, 2012
Cape Town
urchindesign.co.za
most of the roms come with a kernel. You can then flash other kernels but these do need to be comparable. I have team oceans 4.2 for example. This comes with its own kernel but I have installed semaphore 0.9.1 which sheet a lot of testing has been the best fit for my use. Hope that makes sense. If you have something particular inn mind let us know and we can help more

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda premium

imgibby123

Feb 6, 2011
dundee
I want to change rom. Can I just flash any rom compatible with galaxy s i9000 or do you have to have compatible kernels? I have seen tutorials where it says to flash to something specific before flashing to the final one. If it's possible can someone send me a link to a custom pre-rooted rom which I can flash straight away onto my phone?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1533327.
This is a stock firmware and the Odin 512.pit that I use when going back to stock and root is easily applied. It is a good idea to save these on your computer if (or when) things go wrong .

Jun 19, 2011
Bristol
Can I just flash a rom with its custom kernel over my orange stock rom and it's kernel? They don't have to be similar in any way? Also, so I don't need root access to flash a custom rom.

imgibby123

Feb 6, 2011
dundee
You will need root access to flash custom roms as most have to be flashed by cwm(which you will get when you root your phone)

Jun 19, 2011
Bristol
This brings me back to my original problem, people told me to flash a rom with compatible CF-root, but to flash i need to root? So i am stuck in a little circle?

Or does this only apply to custom roms and not flashing stock roms?

scubadude

Feb 6, 2012
Cape Town
urchindesign.co.za
You flash Cf-root with Odin. This gives you root. You then flash custom ROM through recovery on your phone. As mentioned above if you want root to flash custom ROM then you need root it does not really matter which cf-root you use. Just follow instructions in Cf-root thread then follow instructions from ROM thread you want to flash.

If you want to use stock ROM with cf-root then it needs to be compatible.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using xda premium

scubadude

Feb 6, 2012
Cape Town
urchindesign.co.za
CF-Root info here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=788108

From thread:
Instructions (long)
- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
- Unzip the attached CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.zip
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start ODIN
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar
- Put your phone in download mode
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure repartition is NOT checked
- Click the START button
- Wait for the phone to reboot
- Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

Help! I don't know which file to pick! The filenames confuse me!

First thing: don't panic! It's all rather easy, and you won't easily do something bad! I am personally attentive to use the exact same version as the ROM I am running, but it's not that important.

First, go to Settings -> About phone -> Build number. It should say something like FROYO.xxJPy. It's primarily the JPy that we are interested in. Try to match that with a download link available in this (and the next few) posts. Some of the downloads dont just have JPy file name format, but are called xx_xxx_JPy.

Find the one that is closest to yours, if yours is not present, and flash that one.

If you are just installing CF-Root to flash a custom ROM like Darky, make sure you have ROM Manager already installed, ClockworkMod flashed, then simply install the latest CF-Root, reboot once normally, then reboot in recovery and run the Darky update.zip. In this case it does NOT need to be a near match at all!

Before you start it is a good idea to download your stock rom or another one for your phone from here. http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?page=3&t=1&o=1&m=GT-I9000&r=-1#modelsa Then where it says region click your country.

I recommend getting everything you need before you start. So make sure you Odin, a 512 pit file & your stock rom with the PDA, Phone & CSC files. There are plenty instructions for getting back to stock if you search.

Next get the ROM you want & the kernel you want.

Now that you have everything you are ready to go.

My process is as follows.

1. Remove SD Card, some say to remove sim but I have never done this.
2. Turn on phone & turn on USB debugging.
3. Connect phone to usb & copy everything on my internal sd card onto my pc. (I have a samsung folder & create a folder with the date and put everything in there - just in case)
4. (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
5. shut down phone.
6. Follow cf-root thread instructions.
7. Unzip the attached CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.zip
8. Start ODIN
9. Click the PDA button, and select CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar
10. Put your phone in download mode (power on, volume down, home button)
11. (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
12. Make sure repartition is NOT checked
13. Click the START button
14. Wait for the phone to reboot
15. Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

Now you have root & cf-root. Restart phone. Next step is generally as follows.
1. Start phone.
2. Connect phone to pc.
3. copy files you wish to flash onto root of internal sd card. in my case team icssgs 4.2 & semaphore 0.9.1
4. (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
5. restart phone into recovery.

NB. Make sure to do a backup at this point and ensure you have a copy of your efs folder somewhere!!! - if for some reason your IMEI number is corrupted you will need this

6. factory reset & clear cache
7. advanced button -> clear dalvik cache.
8. back & choose install zip from sd card
9. choose zip from sd card.
10 .select the zip file (in my case team icssgs 4.2)
11. Choose yes- install... zip name
12. repeat steps 8-11 and select semaphore kernel.
13. factory reset & clear cache
14. advanced button -> clear dalvik cache.
15. reboot phone. Reboot can sometime take a while. sometimes you may need to do this twice.

Semaphore: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1468795
Team ICSSGS: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1398223

If no luck then reinstall stock rom using odin making sure to use all three files & pit file with repartition checked.

Please note I am still fairly new at this so it may not be perfect & you should always rather follow instructions from the thread of the ROM you wish to flash

Hopefully that's it. Don't think I left anything out.

Last edited:

J_Caselles

Feb 4, 2012
This brings me back to my original problem, people told me to flash a rom with compatible CF-root, but to flash i need to root? So i am stuck in a little circle?

Or does this only apply to custom roms and not flashing stock roms?

Ok, let's clear things up a little. Every rom has its own kernel, let's say the default kernel of that ROM. There are stock Roms, which are those official of Samsung. Those come with its own kernel, but not rooted.

Now: there are some stock roms, of which some guys have managed to modify its kernel just to be able to have root access, and to have a modified version of the recovery: ClockWorkMod recovery.

There are other kernels, though. Kernels that people develope to improve those default kernels that come with stock kernels. But improve performance comes with (perhaps) less stability (actually that's not completely true, as cooked kernels also improve stability, and are in general far better than stock ones). What is true is that not every cooked kernel works with every rom, you have to make sure it works with what you want.

You definitely don't need to have root access to flash, but you do in order to make those highly important security backups! You can have root without flashing kernel.

Now, what are those roms that flash over other roms...? Generally cooked roms are stock roms modified to improve them. But they still use a lot of the stock roms system, that's why cooked roms have to be flash only over that rom they are based on. You still don't need to be root to flash those roms, but generally you do need ClockWorkMod recovery, that's why you need to flash cf-root kernel prior flashing a cooked rom. Or perhaps the cooked rom do not come with a modified/rooted kernel and you still needs to change the kernel (but usually they already come with a rooted kernel)

Hope that helps you even a little to know what do you want to do!

Top Liked Posts