wi-fi tether issues

Search This thread

ppp38

Jul 16, 2012
Im not rooted and I can tether fine using FoxFi both for bluetooth and WifiHotpot. If you are on Verizon, when you try to tether to your tablet via Bluetooth on Foxfi, make sure you have the PDANET app on your tablet.

wmoore

Oct 2, 2011
Brisbane
Using a rooted HTC Rezound to offer up the 4G...my iPads find the broadcast in seconds, laptops as well. Nexus 7 has yet to find it. Tried different channels, different settings, different wifi tether pgms, still nothing. My phone apparently cant seem to connect via bluetooth properly either, tried foxfi/pdanet. I dont care about the iPad having network access, its a paperweight after my nexus arrived, but I would like to be able to use my nexus on the road/at work/etc. Any help would by spectacular...
Similar here. I always used Barnacle on my Sensation to tether my iPad but the Nexus can't see Barnacle. If I use stock wifi tethering though, it works fine.

I haven't really looked into it yet (but will next week when I'm away from a fixed wifi).

nickles96

Mar 14, 2008
Hey all.
i had downloaded the wpa_supplicant file from another thread, certain i was thinking i would need to apply it on my Nexus 7.
prior to, however, for grins, i just tried it straight away as is.
i am able to tether just fine to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon) --
Google Nexus 7 is unlocked and rooted.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus, is unlocked, and rooted, with custom BAMF JellyBean rom.

no problems. no wifi_supplicant hack. happy camper.

randroid123

Sep 13, 2010
I'm having a strange issue that hopefully someone here can shed some light on... I have an iPhone 4s and wifi tethering with the nexus 7 is working for my Internet browsers and rom manager just fine, very snappy actually! But for some reason the market and pretty much all Gapps aren't playing nice with the tethering - I get a no connection message when trying to use them. Anyone know what my problem here is? (besides that my iPhone 4s should be a GNex...)

EDIT: it's a Verizon iPhone if that makes a difference...

rushter

Jul 19, 2010
Kawasaki City
Anyone having issues using any wi-fi tether apps from your phone with this tablet? I get "connecting" and "obtaining ip address" when trying to tether with my nexus s 4g (rooted) but i can't get them to work. The same tether apps from my phone work for my laptop but not this tablet? I can use the bluetooth tether with these same apps but the wi-fi tether doesnt' connect. I guess my questions are:

1. anyone else having this issue
2. if so, is connecting bluetooth from the tether app slower than connecting using the 'wi-fi' option

THanks in advance for this!

Have you tried to download the Wi-Fi tether app instead of using the built in tethering? Works great on my Samsung Galaxy S2.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

BenMGP

Aug 15, 2011
Baja California
Have you tried to download the Wi-Fi tether app instead of using the built in tethering? Works great on my Samsung Galaxy S2.

I am tethering fine with Foxfi, however no matter what app I try, I have issues downloading large files through Oron, Depositfiles, etc. Simply won't start the transfer.

Emails, browsing, etc is fine.

Reactions: Uh60m Pilot

DarthOtto

Aug 15, 2012
I am able to tether through bluetooth but the connection to the internet is slow. I can't wifi because of my phone. I would like to do this through usb. I have the cable and my N7 is rooted my phone is not.

Chinpokomon

Feb 9, 2009
There is a way to direct network traffic over USB if you are hooked up and using ADB on the host. I made it work so,e time ago for a project, but don't recall the details off-hand.

Look around in some of the other forums for other Android devices, it isn't specific to the Nexus 7 at all. You will see a lot of threads about trying to tether a PC to a phone over USB, to use the cellular network, but there are some discussions about using it in reverse too.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
I managed to tether through wi-fi and bluetooth. Try using a CM7 RCA rom, or something off of here if you like. The built in features for 2.3 and up are great for tethering over wi-fi. Just make sure the rom supports it now since Im using CM10 and for right now wi-fi tethering does not work. Best of luck to you.

CM10 supports tethering, however WPA/WPA2 tethering was broken on devices with bcmdhd wifi until I fixed it earlier this week. Some devices may not have the fix enabled yet (It has to be enabled on a per-device basis, since the "fix" will break devices that don't need it.)

If you have a device that doesn't have the fix yet, try setting the security to "Open" until your device has the fix pulled in.

ronf1011

Nov 20, 2010
vallejo
What tethering app are you using on the iPhone? I can't find one that works on my iPhone, locked .

ajg74

Nov 25, 2009
Manchester
I use internet sharing on my HTC Trophy, works a treat, no issues at all but then again it is Windows Phone 7...........

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I can confirm foxfi works flawlessly also. That app is amazing. Plus it allows tether at higher speeds than normal. Even better than wireless tether app.

tiny4579

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 15, 2011
Hey Entropy512, mind sharing what change needs to be made on the device side to get native WiFi tethering working with the bcmdhd driver?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone having issues using any wi-fi tether apps from your phone with this tablet? I get "connecting" and "obtaining ip address" when trying to tether with my nexus s 4g (rooted) but i can't get them to work. The same tether apps from my phone work for my laptop but not this tablet? I can use the bluetooth tether with these same apps but the wi-fi tether doesnt' connect. I guess my questions are:

1. anyone else having this issue
    2. if so, is connecting bluetooth from the tether app slower than connecting using the 'wi-fi' option

THanks in advance for this!

Go check your nexus s 4g's tethering mode. Some phones only work in the ad-hoc mode instead of the infrastructure mode, and most of the tablets don't support ad-hoc mode. PC normally supports both modes.
    I am having issues. I create a hotspot using my s3 but my nex7 can't connect with a password or not. I got the Bluetooth tether to work instead. Using the FoxFi app and I'm not rooted for either devices.

Works fine with my I9000
    Try changing the wifi hotspot name in Foxfi. I could never get Foxfi to work with my S3 and Windows 7 laptop using a password. Without a password it worked fine.

I ended up getting SVTP Wifi Hotspot and USB Tether for my S3 and now I can connect with a password to my laptop.

Will be getting the Nexus 7 tomorrow so I'll check out how the SVTP works with that.

I am tethering fine with Foxfi, however no matter what app I try, I have issues downloading large files through Oron, Depositfiles, etc. Simply won't start the transfer.

Emails, browsing, etc is fine.