[Q] Nexus 4 won't connect to PC

Search This thread
Mar 6, 2014
Hi, I can't get my computer, Lenovo y410p running Windows 8.1 to recognize my Nexus 4 in the file explorer. The Nexus Root Toolkit also will say "no fastboot device connected" when it is plugged in via USB port. However,

Stock Nexus 4
Kernel 3.4
Build number kot49h

Computer won’t recognize phone in file explorer.
Enabling USB debugging has no effect.
Enabling and disabling MTP has no effect either.
However, when I am connected in MTP mode my comp recognizes the phone in the “safely remove hardware and eject media” in the notification area of the taskbar.

I can connect in Camera (PTP) mode – my computer will show my phone in the file explorer.
I’m using a Lenovo y410p running windows 8.1
I’ve used the Nexus root toolkit to uninstall and reinstall the drivers and this hasn’t fixed the problem.
I’ve also used the device manager to uninstall all drivers and this hasn’t fixed the problem.
I’ve tried 3 different USB cables – this hasn’t fixed the problem.
I don’t have a fast charge app installed.

I want to root the phone so that I can use Button Remapper to assign one of my volume buttons to be my power button. My power button is currently broken, forcing me to use Awesome On to turn my phone’s screen on and off. I’d also like to be able to load music on to my phone.
If anybody has any idea wtf is wrong with my phone I’d love for some help. Thanks.

Last edited:

scream4cheese

Jun 22, 2011
New York, NY
Hi, I can't get my computer, Lenovo y410p running Windows 8.1 to recognize my Nexus 4 in the file explorer. The Nexus Root Toolkit also will say "no fastboot device connected" when it is plugged in via USB port. However,

Stock Nexus 4
Kernel 3.4
Build number kot49h

Computer won’t recognize phone in file explorer.
Enabling USB debugging has no effect.
Enabling and disabling MTP has no effect either.
However, when I am connected in MTP mode my comp recognizes the phone in the “safely remove hardware and eject media” in the notification area of the taskbar.

I can connect in Camera (PTP) mode – my computer will show my phone in the file explorer.
I’m using a Lenovo y410p running windows 8.1
I’ve used the Nexus root toolkit to uninstall and reinstall the drivers and this hasn’t fixed the problem.
I’ve also used the device manager to uninstall all drivers and this hasn’t fixed the problem.
I’ve tried 3 different USB cables – this hasn’t fixed the problem.
I don’t have a fast charge app installed.

I want to root the phone so that I can use Button Remapper to assign one of my volume buttons to be my power button. My power button is currently broken, forcing me to use Awesome On to turn my phone’s screen on and off. I’d also like to be able to load music on to my phone.
If anybody has any idea wtf is wrong with my phone I’d love for some help. Thanks.

Is your phone in bootloader mode when the pop-up says "No fastboot device connected"?

xxISYMFSxx

Apr 1, 2014
Richmond

Does the driver state "adb interface" under device manager?
Did you also try the command "fastboot devices" on command prompt?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

Mar 6, 2014
Does the driver state "adb interface" under device manager?
Did you also try the command "fastboot devices" on command prompt?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

i just did a factory reset and my comp still won't recognize my phone in MTP mode with USB debugging enabled or disabled. However, when I connect in camera PTP mode, my computer will recognize my phone when debugging is enabled, but will not recognize it when it is disabled.

captaindyson

May 24, 2012
Sounds like you are missing the CORRECT USB drivers, (note the windows ones don't always work) try PDAnet for an easy installation of them, then check ADB drivers, as said above the command "fastboit devices" is a good guide to your connection.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk