NEW!!! Chrome Beta (4/17/2012) not working after update

Search This thread

cvcduty

Feb 24, 2011
Holly
Yet again, Google Chrome Beta is broken after the latest update. I have ICSSGS RC4.2 and just updated Chrome Beta to the latest release. And as before, this update fails the Chrome Beta to launch on my Cappy... so beware...

I am using my old copy as before until someone figures out how to fix it... :)... again...

Last edited:

cmilldrummin

Aug 26, 2011
Columbus
Have you tried editing your build.prop, which was the easiest fix for the previous chrome issues?

Sent from my glitched ICS Captivate using XDA App

cvcduty

Feb 24, 2011
Holly
Have you tried editing your build.prop, which was the easiest fix for the previous chrome issues?

I can and I will but what should the build.prop entry be to allow Chrome to load properly?
The thing is, I can find the new update with no issues. It installs fine, it just refuses to open. It hangs and then dumps me to the main window.
So, can someone give me suggestions as to what the right build.prop entry should be and I will try it.

Thanks

cmilldrummin

Aug 26, 2011
Columbus
Look at your build.prop and the line that says ro.build.id= should match the line that reads ro.build.display.id=. If either one says gingerbread edit it to match the other and reboot your device.

objectuser

Apr 16, 2012
Chrome is working for me on my Captivate, running Slim ICS (even though Chrome is fairly buggy and annoying in one or two places).

cvcduty

Feb 24, 2011
Holly
Look at your build.prop and the line that says ro.build.id= should match the line that reads ro.build.display.id=. If either one says gingerbread edit it to match the other and reboot your device.

Ok. So my build.prop shows as such.
ro.build.id=IML74K
ro.build.display.id=SGH-I897-user 4.0.3 IML74K eng.onecosmic.20120204.223407 test-keys

So what has to match? Do I edit the display ID=IML74K??? and delete the rest?

cmilldrummin

Aug 26, 2011
Columbus
Make a backup before doing so, but yes chrome beta does a check to see if that line is correct. If it's says something other then what a stock ROM would say, it won't run. So change it as you already described and it should work fine. But again make sure to make a backup of your build prop before doing so, just in case.

nnchoudhari

Nov 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Make a backup before doing so, but yes chrome beta does a check to see if that line is correct. If it's says something other then what a stock ROM would say, it won't run. So change it as you already described and it should work fine. But again make sure to make a backup of your build prop before doing so, just in case.

I tried this change .. no success :(

cvcduty

Feb 24, 2011
Holly
I have same problem too. Updated build.prop and reboot but still not work

Ok... It seems that some people are using what I posted as a direction to change the build.prop to make the Chrome work... Actually, what I put on my earlier post is my exact build.prop what is NOT allowing the Chrome to work... so some one needs to provide an exact line entry. Please do not use my post as this is how my stock (ICSSGS ICS RC4.2) build.prop looks like...

Sorry for the confusion.

Limitz Cash

Apr 7, 2012
Philadelphia
I downloaded chrome beta, but I cannot even install it. Something about a para phase error. Idk

Sent from my Serendipity VII flashed Captivate using xda premium

elmerct

Dec 1, 2010
I'm not sure if your situation is the same, but upgrading an existing chrome install didn't work for me. It crashed whenever I tried to open it. I uninstalled the one I had then installed the latest one from the play store. Its been working fine since. Running Slim 3.4 btw.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

bravomail

Jan 12, 2011
Detroit
You guys should tell me why I should bother getting Chrome? Isn't stock browser Chrome based with HW accel by Samsung?

technosapien

Jan 28, 2012
I've just tested this problem myself, and if you have LCD density set to 120 that's the cause of the issue. Set it back to 160 in build.prop or using dalingrin's CWM zip, and it works....

bravomail

Jan 12, 2011
Detroit
BTW Chrome release works. How do you like it? Beta was superbuggy, would not render certain websites, or leave white holes.

A

arceusg

still won't work on custom roms

Sent from my YP-G70 using xda app-developers app