[Q] Leaving Verizon Unlimited Data for T-Mobile and N5

Search This thread

pablomoca

Aug 5, 2011
Los Angeles
So I've been really thinking of leaving Verizon and my grandfathered unlimited data to switch to T-Mobile and the Nexus 5. I am extremely reluctant to leave the grandfathered plan because I know I won't be able to get it back once I leave. I live in Los Angeles and T-Mobile has decent LTE coverage here. Thought it's still very sparse compared to Verizon. I would be switching over a total of 4 lines, 2 of witch have unlimited data. On Verizon I use about 15gb - 20gb of data (mostly tethering).

The main reason for me wanting to leave is cost savings and available devices. I'm tired of waiting on Verizon for updates to the limited amount of phones they do offer. It seems unless you have an iPhone you're at the mercy of Verizon (even the Galaxy Nexus couldn't resolve this).

I'm looking for anyone who has made the switch and how it's been going? Is it worth it? Any regrets?

I am currently testing a Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and love the phone! The service is decent also. I have a Moto X Dev Edition on Verizon which is no slouch either, but the guaranteed updates on the Nexus 5 are very appealing to me.

troy13x

Jan 8, 2014
So I've been really thinking of leaving Verizon and my grandfathered unlimited data to switch to T-Mobile and the Nexus 5. I am extremely reluctant to leave the grandfathered plan because I know I won't be able to get it back once I leave. I live in Los Angeles and T-Mobile has decent LTE coverage here. Thought it's still very sparse compared to Verizon. I would be switching over a total of 4 lines, 2 of witch have unlimited data. On Verizon I use about 15gb - 20gb of data (mostly tethering).

The main reason for me wanting to leave is cost savings and available devices. I'm tired of waiting on Verizon for updates to the limited amount of phones they do offer. It seems unless you have an iPhone you're at the mercy of Verizon (even the Galaxy Nexus couldn't resolve this).

I'm looking for anyone who has made the switch and how it's been going? Is it worth it? Any regrets?

I am currently testing a Nexus 5 on T-Mobile and love the phone! The service is decent also. I have a Moto X Dev Edition on Verizon which is no slouch either, but the guaranteed updates on the Nexus 5 are very appealing to me.

do it. i had verizon. but just the bare minimum. 2 gb of data. 450 minutes and unlimited texts. i was paying 90 a month and thats with a 22% discount. with tmobile im at 85 a month with unlimited texts and minutes. 2.5 gb of data with gets throttled down to 3g when i go over it

and thats not even counting my 15% discount i get from my job. verizon has good coverage but the money was just too much. and i didnt even have a crazy plan. since you tether you should be good

Reactions: pablomoca

scottjb

Sep 11, 2010
Greensboro, NC
Sounds as if you have the answer. You're testing a T-mobile line and can do a direct comparison. I moved from a Verizon unlimited plan to the T-Mobile unlimited everything plan and have been happy with it. LTE coverage has been good where I live. The only difference I've seen so far is T-mobile generally has EDGE or GPRS when traveling highways outside of populated areas where Verizon might have LTE on the highways.

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
Sounds as if you have the answer. You're testing a T-mobile line and can do a direct comparison. I moved from a Verizon unlimited plan to the T-Mobile unlimited everything plan and have been happy with it. LTE coverage has been good where I live. The only difference I've seen so far is T-mobile generally has EDGE or GPRS when traveling highways outside of populated areas where Verizon might have LTE on the highways.

It will be gone soon just hold on, atleast its better than Sprint

fallingd0wn

Apr 9, 2010
IN
I did the same. I never had any complaints about Verizon service and loved the unlimited data but even with a 25% discount it was still expensive. I was also tired of their strict device polices. I always had to make sure the next phone I got was hackable before purchasing just so I could run a current version of android. The fact that I'd also have to pay full price for each new phone just to keep unlimited sealed the deal. If I'm going to pay full then it'll be for the device I really want. Not the limited, locked down devices they offer. I've been using TMO unlimited. In my area, it's fine for the most part. I have good coverage in the places I spend the most time and the data speeds are good. The only time I miss Verizon is on the rare occasion that I'm traveling or in rural areas. In those cases I may be stuck on 2G or no signal at all. Overall, it was worth the switch.

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
I did the same. I never had any complaints about Verizon service and loved the unlimited data but even with a 25% discount it was still expensive. I was also tired of their strict device polices. I always had to make sure the next phone I got was hackable before purchasing just so I could run a current version of android. The fact that I'd also have to pay full price for each new phone just to keep unlimited sealed the deal. If I'm going to pay full then it'll be for the device I really want. Not the limited, locked down devices they offer. I've been using TMO unlimited. In my area, it's fine for the most part. I have good coverage in the places I spend the most time and the data speeds are good. The only time I miss Verizon is on the rare occasion that I'm traveling or in rural areas. In those cases I may be stuck on 2G or no signal at all. Overall, it was worth the switch.

You wont miss Verizon when you go out of U.S :cool:

Dragn4rce

Jun 29, 2012
Anaheim
a3u7y2eh.jpg

... Sooooo Lol ;)

Sent from my Ñ£×Ú$ 5

mpry1

Jan 12, 2012
We made the switch last month from big V to T-Mobile and are glad we did. Better service faster speeds and lower price, plus the ability to use a pure Google phone without any carrier bs. it was pure win for my wife and I.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pablomoca

Aug 5, 2011
Los Angeles
I guess the thing that worries me is the coverage. I've been carrying around both phones for a week now and I've been doing speed tests almost everywhere I go. The result is Verizon consistently has higher speeds (for me pegging out at about 57mbs). Now I don't know if that really translates into Verizon being "better". Do I really need all of that speed if all I'm doing is streaming netflix or youtube and tethering? Or is that speed only relevant if I'm downloading things?

Thank you all for the input you've given so far.

darklordofthesith

Dec 20, 2008
Bethlehem Tsp.
I made the same switch yesterday and couldn't be happier. Bought two nexus and am glad I did. Best part is we bought them flat out. Just have to pay 80 and taxes and fees. service is excellent and call quality is superb. I don't mind staying with T-Mobile for a little bit but plan on switching to Aio because it's cheaper and more data per month.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

do it. i had verizon. but just the bare minimum. 2 gb of data. 450 minutes and unlimited texts. i was paying 90 a month and thats with a 22% discount. with tmobile im at 85 a month with unlimited texts and minutes. 2.5 gb of data with gets throttled down to 3g when i go over it

and thats not even counting my 15% discount i get from my job. verizon has good coverage but the money was just too much. and i didnt even have a crazy plan. since you tether you should be good
    a3u7y2eh.jpg

... Sooooo Lol ;)

Sent from my Ñ£×Ú$ 5
    We made the switch last month from big V to T-Mobile and are glad we did. Better service faster speeds and lower price, plus the ability to use a pure Google phone without any carrier bs. it was pure win for my wife and I.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk