[Q] VERY slow microSD transfer rate in USB mode!

Search This thread

Deusdies

May 24, 2010
Minneapolis, MN, USA
I have a Class 6 microSD card in my Nexus One.

Rooted, running CM7 nightlies. Phone plugged in USB 2.0 port.

When the phone is on and is in USB mode, transfer rate to card does not exceed 100 kB/s!

In Recovery (Amon RA), the speed is about 1.8 MB/s, so that's fine. I know it should be higher but this is still fine.

So - the question is obvious - what the hell is wrong? Why are my writing speeds so slow?

schizophrenia

May 11, 2009
I have a Class 6 microSD card in my Nexus One.

Rooted, running CM7 nightlies. Phone plugged in USB 2.0 port.

When the phone is on and is in USB mode, transfer rate to card does not exceed 100 kB/s!

In Recovery (Amon RA), the speed is about 1.8 MB/s, so that's fine. I know it should be higher but this is still fine.

So - the question is obvious - what the hell is wrong? Why are my writing speeds so slow?

Just to say i have the same problem.....
looking for an answer, if there is any.

ZeppeMan

Dec 14, 2009
Same issue with a class4 card. Sometimes it even drops too 300kb/s.. and never go above 1.8Mb/s

meechto

Have the same issue with a Sandisk class 2 MicroSD card. Seems to be something wrong with CM7. With everything else remaining the same, never had this issue with CM6 though. CM6 would easily give me transfer rate of 2 Mbps and above while writing to the card from the PC but now it always sticks at 768 kbps going at most upto 819 kbps once in a while :(

Last edited:

ZeppeMan

Dec 14, 2009
Have the same issue with a Sandisk class 2 MicroSD card. Seems to be something wrong with CM7. With everything else remaining the same, never had this issue with CM6 though. CM6 would easily give me transfer rate of 2 Mbps and above while writing to the card from the PC but now it always sticks at 768 kbps going at most upto 819 kbps once in a while :(

I have this with all ROMs and currently i'm using CM6.1.1.

elgarteo95

Oct 11, 2009
Hong Kong
I once have this issue on a cm7 nightly build too
but after flashing RC1 plus IR's CFS kernel
everything's back to normal
maybe it's a problem of the USB driver
try to update to a newer build or change the kernel

ZeppeMan

Dec 14, 2009
I once have this issue on a cm7 nightly build too
but after flashing RC1 plus IR's CFS kernel
everything's back to normal
maybe it's a problem of the USB driver
try to update to a newer build or change the kernel

It's not the USB driver. Couple weeks ago when I still had my Hero the transfer speed was much higher. From the day I got my N1 (even with stock ROM) I had this problem. I wil try other kernel.

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
The problem is .37 kernels, although going by the above post I guess IR's latest has solved it... will have to try.

meechto

Possible fix

I flashed the Wildmonks kernel and now the issue has not only gone away but the write speeds go pretty much upto 4.3 Mbps quite often :D The minimum it ever goes down to is of course 2 Mbps since I am using a class 2 card. To any one else facing this issue, I would suggest you flash a different kernel and and see if it helps. I have pasted the link to Wildmonks CM7 kernels below for a quick reference:

http://wildmonks.whoisthedrizzle.com/kernel/2.6.35/010611/CM7_Kernels/

got2best

Feb 20, 2009
I am also having this problem. Which one of Wildmonks kernel's Did you use? I also tried IR kernel and still no fix.

meechto