[Kernel][26APR'13][RedPill] ExFAT | STweaks | Scoobydoo | UV/OC | Ext2Int

Search This thread

goddamnit

Nov 4, 2010
Sound good .
As this is the first time I see there is a kernel support blocking of Multicast that cause battery drain .
For that I bought a new rounter lol

Let me try this kernel :D
---------------------------------
Hmm .. I think there is no download aviliable right now

Last edited:

T-Loop

Oct 15, 2008
Lahti
Fantastic to see more Kernel development for our big baby. I was spoiled with Galaxy Nexus and all the fantastic kernels.

One question I have in mind though, Is it possible to add color control for this phone? It was one of the biggest things with Nexus, to tweak the colors right. Now I'm using Sammy's Dynamic setting for display, but it doesn't always adjust the colors correctly.

Thanks for your work, I'm excited! :)

Reactions: pongster

ars_92

Download links will be up as soon as its done uploading. N7105 is not supported as I don't have a device to test it on.

I only release kernels for devices I personally own. I don't like blind building even if it could work. I like to test things (and break and fix things) myself. :)

Just a heads up, it seems samsung has released the source code for at&t note 2. Maybe it has something that might be newer than the international source drop? Using n7100 myself, but who knows, maybe there is something there which is useful for us :D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

interfreak

Aug 16, 2010
Townsville
Intriguing!!

Will test it out as soon as it's ready for download. But what is the difference between the 'Normal' Red Pill kernel and the 'Ultimate' one?

Cheers :)

Ferranza

Nov 13, 2010
imperia
here are the differences:

**Ultimate (Will not work with ExFat since I used SLQB)
All of the above PLUS:
SLQB
Busfreq Undervolting (less 100mV each)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**AOSP (Will work with CM10 Based ROM's only)
Ultimate PLUS:
AOSP Ramfs Tweaks
4.4.3 Toolchain

edwinpang

Nov 11, 2010
Not oc/uv on default or there is just no way/option for it?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    RedPillHeader.png
    "This is your last chance.
    After this, there is no turning back.
    You take the blue pill -
    the story ends, you wake up in your bed and
    believe whatever you want to believe.
    You take the red pill
    - you stay in Wonderland and
    I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
    - Morpheus, The Matrix
    (Copyright belongs to the Wachowski Brothers... Larry and Andy)
    Kernel Source: RedPill Source Based on N7100 Source Drop (until Rev1.00). Rev1.01 and beyond are currently based on N8000 sources. This Kernel is for the N7100 International Version Only!!!
    MatrixPills Image by Corinne Wilger. Visit her site HERE.

What Some HyperDroid RedPill Users Have Said:

"so far this the only kernel which gives me the least wakelocks.. or hardly any.... good job..
    i dont care about benchmarks which ppl are whining about.. i would say this kernel rockz" - xinfinityoO
    "Batterywise the best kernel on my device - had not encountered just 2% loss in 7 hours at night for a very long time"- zikarus
    "first impressions... blazing fast...smooth... hopefully no issues
    (well never had one with previous releases anyways)...cheers pongster!"- jermitano
    "I am stunned. The battery life looks great. Very smooth and stable and great response. Great work guys."- mariosraptor
    "Awesome work! That's the least I could say. Real development and all that done during free time.
    I've made donations but that won't be enough to show my gratitude. I know you don't do that for money but
    that's the only way I can think of tell you all how grateful I am."- mbutandola
    RedPill Features

Highlights

• Exynos-Abuse Secured (Thanks to AndreiLux for the original low level patch & Samsung for the Official Fix)
    • SDS patch included
    • Ramfs from Stock Kernel + Busybox and its various functions in /sbin
    • Versions up to Rev1.00 were Based on Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 Source Drop Release 1; Rev1.01 and up are based on N8000 Sources
    • Included patches for performance, stability and battery life
    • Init.d support
    • SetCPU, ROM Toolbox and Voltage Control Support
    • CPU Overclocking and Undervolting Support (Thanks to AndreiLux)
    • GPU Overclocking and Undervolting Support (Thanks to AndreiLux)
    • Enable or Disable File Syncing
      (fsync disabled by default as I've tweaked the system for optimum latency designed for Flash Storage)
    • CFS Autogroup by Mike Galbraith Enabled
    • CPU Topology and Sched_MC enabled
    • AFTR and LPA enabled
    • A lot of tunables via sysfs included (Use ROM Toolbox or similar Utility to easily change it)
    • Git Implementation of SHA-1 for 12% faster boot time
    • CPU set at 1.6Ghz at Boot for faster boot time (Thanks to Imoseyon)
    • LZO compressed kernel using optimized values for the size of the kernel for faster boot time (Using faster lzo code from mainline)
    • CIFS Support (cifs.ko located in /lib/modules) | Tweaked Ext4 Filesystem
      (Patches + Mount Options + Tweaked IO Schedulers leaning towards latency for Flash Storage)
    • sio | zen | row | noop | deadline (tweaked for better latency and balanced throughput for Mobile NAND based devices)
    • Tweaked the mount options for Ext4 to adapt to the current focus on latency
    • pegasusq CPU Governor (Thanks to AndreiLux for the some of the new governor specific logic he added)
    • WiFi Multicast Blocked (Thanks to Entropy512)
    • Using Google Toolchain 4.7 + compiler optimizations specific for that version (Thanks Google & Linaro)

Power Saving Features:
    • AFTR + LPA enabled
    • sched_mc enabled (set at 2 by default)
    • ARM CPU Topology enabled
    • No HZ enabled

Boot Time Features:
    • Used git Implem of SHA-1 for 12% Boot time improvement
    • Added [PATCH] arm: remove "optimized" SHA1 routines by Linus Torvalds
    • Added [PATCH] arm: remove stale export of 'sha_transform' Linus Torvalds
    • Set Clockspeed at 1.6Ghz at Boot time to ensure all critical tasks have enough power to perform them while
      the governors/maxfreq isn't set yet. (Thanks to Imoseyon for this hack)

CPU Features
    • Supports CPU Overclocking and Undervolting (Thanks to AndreiLux)
    • Supports GPU Overclocking or Undervolting (Thanks to AndreiLux)
    • pegasusq CPU Governor pegasusq set as default (obviously) :)

Filesystem Features (Currently Supported)
    • ExFat (Using Proprietary Samsung Modules) *Stock based RedPill only
    • Fat32
    • Ext2/3/4
    • CIFS (cifs.ko is in /lib/modules)
    • Ext2Int for N7100 (Thanks to mattiadj for idea and base script that I used to get it fully working on N7100 and RedPill) (ExFAT and FAT32 only) *Stock based RedPill only

I/O Schedulers
    • SIO (2012 0.2 version) (tweaked for Flash) Set as Default
    • deadline (tweaked for Flash)
    • zen (Thanks to bbedward)
    • noop
    • row (Thanks to Tanya Brokhman)
    • Tweaked values in deadline and SIO I/O scheduler to give better than average throughput while attemting to improve latency (if not more aggressive). Based on our initial (indicative, not conclusive... yet) testing, having these in line with the vm dirty, expire, writeback values + ext4 mount options to "schedule" write outs as fast as the system can handle it works quite well to balance throughput with latency expected in a mobile device. We took the big picture view and tested our tweaks instead of copy pasting random "known" good values and challenged some assumptions even we had at the start. The result is a mobile device tuned for average throughput and balanced battery life with good latency (not the lowest latency out there, but given the benefits of better I/O throughput and potential battery savings + extending the lifetime of NAND Based storage I think it was a compromise worth taking) I could have tweaked it for extremely great throughput and battery savings but that wouldn't be fun to use. I hate micro-lags myself.
    • Our Test Data regarding I/O schedulers and Kernel Tweaks can be found HERE.
    • The blog post that describes what we are trying to do can be found on my blog post HERE. (Thanks to s2d4)

Memory Features
    • Custom minfree values tweaked for 2GB RAM
    • Tweaked vm values in sysctl that's optimized for latency

Display Features
    • Stock mdnie values for more vivid details on the current generation of AMOLED Displays

Performance Patches Enabled

Mike Galbraith's Ultimate CFS Performance Patch (CFS Autogroup)
    *More info on this here: https://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/20/91

Added the CGroup Patch:*Added [PATCH] cgroup: Provides a way of tasks grouping by timer slack value
    by Kirill A. Shutemov Based on patch by Jacob Pan. Introduces per cgroup timer slack value
    which will override the default timer slack value once a task is attached to a cgroup. It's useful in mobile devices where
    certain background apps are attached to a cgroup and minimum wakeups are desired.

Experimental Latency Related Patches
    • Disabled "fsync disabled" by default
      (can be enabled by doing an echo "0" > /sys/class/misc/fsynccontrol/fsync_enabled
      in a terminal emulator or as a script for gscript or scriptmanager) (Or use STweaks to toggle it) (Thanks to Ezekeel)
      Using the tweaked Ext4 filesystem + scheduler and mount options leaning towards latency + vm values in the kernel
      makes the most of the speed of Flash Storage based devices. At the speed at which the data is written to and from the kernel
      to the Fast Storage devices, you would only lose up to 1 second worth of data at most IF the kernel crashes.
      I don't plan on that happening so I enabled the system to get the maximum possible performance in this area.
    • Tweaked Ext4 Filesystem (Patches + Mount Options + Tweaked IO Schedulers leaning towards latency)
    • Tweaked the mount options for Ext4 to adapt to the current focus on latency

3rd Party Kernel Apps Support
    • STweaks by gokhanmoral
    • ROM Toolbox by jrummy
    • SetCPU by michaelhuang
    • System Tuner
    • Voltage Control | ExTweaks by xan
    FAAAQ's

Kernel Frequently Asked & Answered Questions (FAAAQ)

What exactly IS the RedPill?
    The RedPill is a custom kernel for the Galaxy Note 2 (N7100) International version. It's aptly named to provide users a choice. This is how I would have built Samsung's stock kernel. So, I used the Samsung Source from their site as a base and added relevant patches that are built on the shoulders of giants... such as arighi, gokhanmoral, Entropy512, AndreiLux, codeworx, netarchy, hacre, franciscofranco, Ezekeel, imoseyon, Erasmux, cattleprod, hardcore, faux123, etc. and all the kernel hackers of the world that work on making this usable for all of us... I claim nothing to be original or created by myself... I simply put together features others have created that I personally would like to see and use in my own device and share it with the world because I can AND choose to do so... While I do bugfix the occasional compile error and test for near perfection, it's nothing compared to those who write most of the code for the Linux kernel. Major props to all of them!

Where is the source for building this Kernel?
    You can find the source HERE. I love GPL and We should all support Open Source Software and its Developers. Please Note that Open Source doesn't mean all of this magically wrote and patched itself... it takes a lot of FREE time to do this and would appreciate if you let us know how you've improved the code.If you know what you're doing, you can easily build your own kernel too. *Please let me know if you have any improvements you feel should be included and send me a pull request. *If it tests okay, it may be included in the next release.

FYI, I'm not particularly fond of devs who release their source as tarballs. (I'm looking at 'ya Samsung!) I'm pretty sure you use a tool like git internally to manage all the changes and revisions. Why do you have to make it so hard for those that want to play with the source by releasing it in a tarball instead of publishing it on github or bitbucket? If you're a kernel dev that does this I consider you "open-forced" NOT "open source". If you don't want to use git and can't be bothered with it why not make a patch and upload that instead?

Does the RedPill support ROMs for N7105 and other N7100 variants?
    As of the current Revision Released, I will not be working to making it work on a device I don't currently own. I only build kernels I can actually test myself. While "building blind" might work, I prefer to break my own device before someone else's as they probably paid good money and worked hard/smart to be able to afford the device. FYI, I'm also not in favor of devs who build blindly then ask for donations so they can support the device. I want to own my device, not let it be owned by those who donated their hard earned money to get you the device. I've seen too many "devs" build blindly then ask for a donation so they can support the device, only to find a newer, better and faster device comes out and then chooses to buy that instead of the device he built blindly for and actually got donations to buy it. Talk about Bait and Switch!

Why doesn’t the RedPill have high benchmarks?*
    That’s done on purpose to keep YOU away. Seriously. The way the VM system is tweaked (dirty ratio’s, minfree values, etc.) + the focus on better latency in any type of load + a lot of other small tweaks all lead to good performance and battery drain in actual use (I like using my device and not keep it sleeping to bloat my battery stats, thank you). This may not give you the benchmark scores you want to be able to show off… which is good since it means YOU stay away from this kernel and continue to rely on benchmarks rather than actual usage.

Why should I even ROOT my device? Is a custom kernel more secure?
    With the Exynos-Abuse Exploit out for ANYONE to use, you're probably better off rooting and installing a custom kernel that includes the fix of AndreiLux. (RedPill and Perseus as of this writing) Now I know it will void the warranty, as you all are aware of, but if the only way to secure your device and your personal data (You don't want anyone to see your google search terms and results as well as those "private" moments that you may have kept for yourself just like any normal person) is to root and install a secured kernel, what choice is Samsung giving you?

Can you imagine what a nefarious and talented malware developer could do with this? They could break your system and have a pop-up that says "Pay up to free your system from being one of my mobile drones"... OR "Donate to get the full features of your device" (This one actually happens a lot on XDA... some talented dev gives you partial features to lure you in... then WHAM, BAM, THANK YOU MA'AM... If you want the full features, please donate yada yada yada...) I digress, as always. :)

Now, would you rather wait till Samsung officially patches this exploit and run the risk of exposing yourself to the risks this exploit opens you up to? Don't assume malware devs aren't rushing their current code to try and pry their way into your system using this exploit. For all we know, they're busy trying to cover up a similar exploit and currently awaiting Play Store approval. Yes, even the Play Store Apps can compromise your system. Even if Samsung does act fast, (not as fast as AndreiLux since he fixed it in a jiffy) how sure are you that your system hasn't been compromised? You wouldn't even know it.

The best reason to root RIGHT NOW is to completely secure your system, now more than ever. If you need to claim a warranty, you can tell them:
    a. I had no choice, you messed up, xda-devs cleaned it up.
    b. Flash back stock kernel and remove any trace of root and your use of a custom binary.
    c. Completely brick your phone and tell Samsung that the exynos-mem exploit was actually used by malware that zapped your system dead.

I'm not a fan of any of these choices since I believe warranties should be honored by the manufacturer, especially if the bug they created was the reason for the claim for warranty in the first place.

How do I know I'm secured from the Exynos-Abuse Exploit?
    Don't rely on apps that tell you whether you're vulnerable or not as the low level kernel fix AndreiLux implemented doesn't need to change the permissions of the /dev/exynos-mem.

Try running Chainfires Exploit APK and try getting the exploit to say anything else but "FAILED"... or head over to the thread HERE and download the exynos-abuse binary and run it from a terminal.
    If your shell changes from $ to # then the exploit was successful, if not then you're safe.

Can the RedPill be OC'd and UV'd?
    It can be UV'd and OC'd.By default, I've decided to keep all voltages and clock speeds stock as experience has taught me that NOT ALL DEVICES ARE CREATED EQUAL. You can UV the CPU arm voltages and OC using 3rd party Apps that do that. (SetCPU, VoltageControl)

Can the RedPill GPU be OC'd and UV'd?
    Yes. Thanks to AndreiLux. You'll need to use STweaks to fully configure this. YMMV as always.

Why a tweaked deadline and SIO I/O scheduler?
    The deadline I/O scheduler by Jens Axboe has proven itself as a low overhead, high throughput and acceptable latency I/O scheduler. *When tweaked for NAND based Mobile devices, it does even better. *While it "starves" writes by default with a 2:1 Read:Write ratio, this can easily be tuned via sysfs.

Why is my favorite governor (whichever it is) not available?
    Simplicity is the Ultimate Sophistication, as Leonardo Da Vinci eloquently said. *Based on extensive testing and user feedback, we gathered that these 2 governors included gave the best performance and battery life on our device. Simple choice to have only the best ones available based on actual testing and feedback. *I included only these governors so you all have a simple choice to make in finding your favorite one. *These are all tunable via sysfs so you can skew it towards battery or performance based on what is important for you. *Don't expect uber smoothness and 16 hours screen-on time though... *there will be compromises when leaning towards any of the two factors most users consider important in a kernel.

Why LZO Compression for the Kernel?
    It decompresses much faster than any other, bar none. Since the kernel size and compression speed is not an issue when using LZO in the kernel. (You only decompress the zImage when booting. Compression is done when building the kernel) Don't believe me, believe the data right HERE.

Why ARM Topology and sched_mc?*(From linaro.org)
    "The sched_mc function adds a power saving awareness to the Linux scheduler which is tuned for performance by default. When sched_mc is enabled, the scheduler tries to gather the running processes in a minimal number of cpus and clusters. This choice of the location of a process is done thanks to the cpu topology function which describes the affinity between cpus."
    (more info HERE)

Why is my AndroidOS usage so high?
    This is most likely a reporting error from Android itself. Use Better Battery Stats to closely watch what really eats your battery. That has shown to be more reliable. (If I were Android, I'd fold buy out BBS and fold its code in by default) :) If you still have doubts, do a real world battery test, as some have done, and they saw that their battery consumption actually remained the same or in some cases even improved. YMMV, of course. Let's not fall for "placebos" here and say that "hmmmm.... since AndroidOS must be high than my battery doesn't last as long!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ultimate Version FAAAQ DEPRECATED SINCE MOST FEATURES ARE FOUND ON STABLE

Why SLQB? (According to its author, Nick Piggin)* (Only for the Ultimate Revision)
    ”SLQB is a slab allocator that focuses on per-CPU scaling, and good performance with order-0 allocations. Fastpaths emphasis is placed on local allocaiton and freeing, but with a secondary goal of good remote freeing (freeing on another CPU from that which allocated).” Using this on the Stable version breaks ExFat from working properly. Thus, the Ultimate version is for those who don't need ExFat support.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HyperDroidDevs FAAAQ

Where do I report Issues or Get Community Support?
    Use this thread to report issues, preferably with a last_kmsg, dmesg in a text file or a logcat. How do you do those? I'll let you use XDA's brilliant search function. And no, it's not broken, the search function that is. (I've heard that so many times... "Search isn't working so I posted a question here instead...")

Where are the HyperDroidDevs and their Team from?
    We are an international team of crazy people who all have real life day jobs that are mostly not related in any way to Android Development. We're crazy enough to spend sleepless nights trying to make our devices (which we all personally own and have NOT been donated) better than how we received it. We come from all over. I am from the Philippines, where it's always FUN to be! We have Devs and Team members from Spain, Greece, France, Finland, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Canada, USA, India, Poland, Philippines and even more countries. :)

How do I show my appreciation? Can I donate to you?
    You can show your appreciation concretely in several ways:
    • Pressing the "Thanks" Button on XDA
    • Follow me on Twitter @sarcastillo and "Like" our Facebook Page
    • Report issues politely and completely
    • Donating any amount is completely up to you. *I look at donations as a "tip" for a job well done, rather than a "wage" or a "bounty" to get things done. *And Tipping is always up to you... the tipper. *I won't stop development if you don't donate, that's for sure, as I do this mainly for myself and my HyperDroid mates to begin with. I make more money running my own business than this hobby so “tips” are not a necessity… it just tells me how many people actually find the work useful enough to say thank you via a financial gesture.

This Kernel will ALWAYS be FREE to Download and USE, even if the time spent making it IS NOT FREE. *That's Open Source. (The time people spend on open source projects could have been used to spend more time with their families, for example. But the Devs commitment to get something done right is almost always tugging at him to Dev just a little bit more) *:)

*I've personally donated to Devs who've done things I would never have been able to figure out at the time they did figure stuff out. *Learning anything new takes time and time, in my book, is more important than money as I can't turn back time, while I can always earn money. SO I donate to Devs who spend their free time making Stuff better and easier for those of us who haven't figured out how to get it done.
    Download Links

Download Links: (CWM/TWRP Version Only)
    I've put the links down here to ensure you at least TRY to read the IMPORTANT info posted above.
    Don't forget to enjoy the RedPill; it's Awesomeness Delivered!

RedPill

RedPill AOSP

Credits and Disclaimer

Credits: (Huge props to all the devs I've learned from by reading and studying their code)
    • faux123
    • Ezekeel
    • franciscofranco
    • supercurio
    • hardcore
    • Netarchy
    • Hacre/Ninpo
    • Chainfire
    • Erasmux
    • Imoseyon
    • gokhanmoral
    • Tegrak
    • Entropy512
    • AndreiLux
    • cattleprod
    • dvtonder
    • All the hardworking Kernel Devs at lkml.org
      (Linus Torvalds, Jens Axboe, Mike Galbraith, etc.)

Special Mention to the following:
    To my mates at the HyperDroid Dev Team: (who help me test and refine the features of our kernel for our ROM)
    • D.O.C. (formerly doctorcete) (for the friendship and being an example of diplomacy in
      dealing with usual ****storm of questions from users who refuse to search and read) :)
    • kristofpetho (for his excellent work on the HyperNote and his patience with dealing with bugs that destroy the user experience)
    • Arighi (for the initial guidance on how to get the kernel booting and working & a lot of battery driven patches)
    • AF974 (for the Overcome based Recovery on S2 that's so bad ass I want to stay in recovery all the time.)
    • petsasj (for his great work on HyperDroidParts for S2 and all future Apps that are just pure awesomesauce!)
    • sicopat (for letting us use his server and helping us out with a lot of things smali)
    • s2d4 | phly-phantom | amerikian (for testing everything at the risk of the potentially time sucking Soft Brick...)

Disclaimer: I made this for my personal use and has been personally tested by me and my team (HyperDroid Dev Team).
    While it may work for other N7100 International ROM's, we have not tested it personally.
    You have the liberty to choose to use this Kernel and by flashing this Kernel you will have
    surrendered your right to complain that you lost your Warranty
    . If you're smart enough to figure
    out WHY you need a Custom Kernel, you SHOULD be smart enough to undo it if you need your
    device serviced officially. If your device explodes, melts or otherwise disintegrates from its awesomeness
    I shall NOT be held responsible.

Reposting the Kernel: Please don't repost this kernel anywhere else.
    Keep the download links intact as I have taken the effort to provide fast links for everyone.
    If you can't understand English well enough and feel the need to re-post this kernel on
    a foreign language web site or forum, please let me know first and link to this page...
    (Google Translate can make it easier to read in your Native Language)