Did I buy a fake

Search This thread

Suzook1

Jun 12, 2010
I bought a phone off CL (yes I know) everything looked super legit

the model number though is a G9006V

Is this a real S5 or a chinese copy. Seems to be no way to root or install custom

lingowistico

Jan 4, 2013
Stockholm
goo.gl
If your phone really has a Mediatek processor then it is a fake. But as already mentioned, not all programs correctly identify the chip. You should confirm the finding with another program and preferably provide us with a lot more details about your phone so that we have more confidence in the verdict.

Photos of the phone and any literature? In particular the top exterior, the label under the battery (you may wish to obscure part of the IMEI number) and a screen shot of at least the Settings menu > General > About Device. Particularly helpful would be installing the Phone Info app and tell us the results.

Good fakes fake the Phone info too.

A

AndroidSlave

If its fake, you should file a police report. Its fraud and illegal counterfeiting.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Inm8

Jul 14, 2014
Get a refund or take seller to court. ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app

chickndude

Jul 20, 2014
I'm also wondering the same thing. Running CPU-Z returns MediaTek MT6592, 8x ARM Cortex-A7 @ 1.66 GHz.

I've looked at some other videos and discussions online on how to tell a fake one apart, but for the most part it looks real, has waterproofing seals, a 16MP camera, heart rate monitor (though i have my doubts as to its results), etc. The Android version is 4.4.2. The fingerprint scanner doesn't seem legit, though, as i don't really need to slide my finger over the home button and any finger will unlock it. All in all i'm not really bummed as it was a third of the price of the other S5's listed online and still is much better than my previous phone. Really i just wish i could find a way to root it... I actually never really considered that it might be fake, though i was a little curious after reading about some of the things here:
ibtimes.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-s5-10-amazing-hidden-features-you-never-knew-about-1445367
...notably the touch sensitivity, which i don't have as a setting.

The battery life is also really weird, when opening certain apps (QQ, Anki) the battery life rapidly falls (completely gone within a couple hours) and i've got to restart the phone for it to stabilize again. I can watch movies or listen to music for what seems like days, though.

Last edited:

chickndude

Jul 20, 2014
Hey, thanks for the reply. I just managed to root it using the tutorial here (though CWM is upside down??):
youtube.com/watch?v=s66e-kwvKUU

Also, KIES 3 doesn't detect it, should i take that as a good sign it's a fake?

bOkz

Jan 11, 2011
Sydney
Does the fingerprint sensor work? If not then it's absolutely fake.

Next is how much was the selling price? Too cheap means probably fake.

Now about the processor, the second you see anything other than qcomm or exynos, it's already fake.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts