[Q] Rooting from tablet

Search This thread

Walker823

Mar 6, 2014
Can I root my nexus from a Microsoft Surface? It has a USB port. I'm trying to do this because my nexus drivers won't install properly on my laptop.

AarSyl

Surface or Surface Pro? I ask because I don't know about you being able to load the appropriate drivers to recognize your tablet on Widows RT. Are you able to run command prompt? That's the biggest factor here.

Tablet: ASUS Nexus 7.2
Rooted, Custom Rom & Kernel

Walker823

Mar 6, 2014
Surface or Surface Pro? I ask because I don't know about you being able to load the appropriate drivers to recognize your tablet on Widows RT. Are you able to run command prompt? That's the biggest factor here.

Tablet: ASUS Nexus 7.2
Rooted, Custom Rom & Kernel

It's the 1st gen surface. And I'm not sure if i can run a command promt. I'm sort of a noob.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
If it's a surface 1/2 then no/not easily at all.

The drivers dont require custom code from goog to install on winrt, they only require generic usb libraries to make the fastboot driver work.
It would be as simple as ms releasing the missing pieces to driver devs, which they have much less reason to do as there's no expectation of support for arbitrary devices on winrt.
(I dont have a winrt device so I could be mistaken but) winrt generally requires you to obtain drivers straight from ms, I don't think they generally allow manufacturers to distribute windows/arm drivers like they do for windows/x86.

You need to be able to use fastboot, and there isnt a windows/arm version available.
It might be possible to compile an arm version, but it's highly unlikely anyone has actually done this.

Even if there was, you would need to use the hack to enable unsigned desktop apps to run on winrt.

Reactions: AarSyl

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If it's a surface 1/2 then no/not easily at all.

The drivers dont require custom code from goog to install on winrt, they only require generic usb libraries to make the fastboot driver work.
    It would be as simple as ms releasing the missing pieces to driver devs, which they have much less reason to do as there's no expectation of support for arbitrary devices on winrt.
    (I dont have a winrt device so I could be mistaken but) winrt generally requires you to obtain drivers straight from ms, I don't think they generally allow manufacturers to distribute windows/arm drivers like they do for windows/x86.

You need to be able to use fastboot, and there isnt a windows/arm version available.
    It might be possible to compile an arm version, but it's highly unlikely anyone has actually done this.

Even if there was, you would need to use the hack to enable unsigned desktop apps to run on winrt.