Restore Z2 tablet back to factory / stock after root?

Search This thread

fearofbirds

Mar 4, 2014
Hi,

I rooted my Z2 tablet a few days ago and have found that I don't really need the advantages it brings (from what I can tell). SO - I want to get it back to the way it was when I first opened the box.

I have seen threads about different devices and how to restore them to factory or stock (??), but they seem to call for specific files or flash software. So that brings me once again to this forum to figure out whether anyone can direct me to some instructions on how to do this. I figure it shouldn't be too hard. Just being careful.

Thanks very much for the advice once again.

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
I think if you flash the rootable kernel again, you could use an unrooting tool to undo the root. I'm also aware that there are files that you can flash to re-lock the bootloader (I once did this with an Xperia mini pro, although I'm not sure if such file exists for this tablet) but the DRM keys are lost forever a.f.a.i.k. But at least if you manage to re-lock the bootloader you will be able to install F/W upgrades through official ways again.

Last edited:

fearofbirds

Mar 4, 2014
I think if you flash the rootable kernel again, you could use an unrooting tool to undo the root. I'm also aware that there are files that you can flash to re-lock the bootloader (I once did this with an Xperia mini pro, although I'm not sure if such file exists for this tablet) but the DRM keys are lost forever a.f.a.i.k. But at least if you manage to re-lock the bootloader you will be able to install F/W upgrades through official ways again. Anyhow, you won't be able to restore to (more or less) factory status without at least flashing a couple of files.

THank you for the response. Unfortunately i'm not even sure how I would go about flashing 'the rootable kernel'.... Feeling a bit foolish for getting into this actually.

From what i'm reading, it seems like I need to get the stock software and start again. So i'm looking for the 'FTF' for my tablet, which is a SGP511. Not having any luck though.

fearofbirds

Mar 4, 2014
Which was the process that you followed to root it?

It was on another site - can't remember which. It got the clockwork mod installed. I think? Or was that just a recovery thing? No idea.

I'm actually now just doing a factory reset to see what happens, and it said 'root access possibly lost' in the process, which I thought was a good sign. Guess i'll keep tinkering with enough caution to eventually get the warranty back in tact.

Hopefully the loss of DRM doesn't effect the warranty.

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
In that case I guess you will have to download a firmware ftf file of an official unmodded firmware (preferably one of your region but I think especially if you have the wifi-only version it doesn't matter much as long as it contains the interface and input languages that you need), and install (or "flash") that using Flashtool. After that the root will certainly be gone and if you could then find a file to relock your bootloader I think your warrenty will be fine. I honestly don't think that Sony service and repair personel will check for DRM keys every time before repairing a device.

Last edited:

fearofbirds

Mar 4, 2014
UPDATE

Factory reset appears to have gotten things back to normal. My plan is now just to unroot using an unroot tool (app i guess?) and then to lock the bootloader some how as well.

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
Factory reset appears to have gotten things back to normal. My plan is now just to unroot using an unroot tool (app i guess?) and then to lock the bootloader some how as well.

So it's certain that the tablet is still rooted at this moment? Some superuser apps have an option to do a full unroot, such as SuperSU, you could try that

fearofbirds

Mar 4, 2014
That's great. I think that's sorted it out. SuperSU had the full unroot option and it looks like it's all sorted.

Thanks for the help.