[HOW TO] [GUIDE] [Q&A] - Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 ROOT & Then Some

Search This thread

tkdmarine

Mar 26, 2010
Please Help Noob Status

Like the title says I need help rooting my Verizon Galaxy S5 SM-G900V. I once rooted and flashed my old Galaxy Tab but it was forever ago. From what I am reading I cannot root my phone because I have already done the OTA update for Android 5.0. Please if someone could break down the steps Noob style for me so that I can root my phone that would be great thanks.

5ft24

Apr 21, 2011
Mount Vernon
Like the title says I need help rooting my Verizon Galaxy S5 SM-G900V. I once rooted and flashed my old Galaxy Tab but it was forever ago. From what I am reading I cannot root my phone because I have already done the OTA update for Android 5.0. Please if someone could break down the steps Noob style for me so that I can root my phone that would be great thanks.

Go back to the first page of the thread. Spells it out.

pyrite123

Aug 27, 2013
Damn, I just traded in my old S3 for a new S5. It's also on ANK2... and I can't find anything on it. I'm assuming there is no root for it yet? Should I take the OTA to lollipop?

Vekter

Oct 24, 2010
Welp, took the OTA a few weeks ago and now Towelroot is saying my phone is incompatible. Can't even use the modstrings to root it, it just straight up says "nope". Any love here? I can't figure out what's going on.

eragon5779

Dec 1, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
LG G8
Damn, I just traded in my old S3 for a new S5. It's also on ANK2... and I can't find anything on it. I'm assuming there is no root for it yet? Should I take the OTA to lollipop?

Welp, took the OTA a few weeks ago and now Towelroot is saying my phone is incompatible. Can't even use the modstrings to root it, it just straight up says "nope". Any love here? I can't figure out what's going on.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3068546

Follow this to update to Android 5.0 and keep root

eragon5779

Dec 1, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
LG G8
I noticed it says in the thread "if you do not already have root..." to flash that specific firmware using odin. This method will work with ank2, correct? Just making sure that's what you were pointing me at.

Also thanks very much.

Right. That method works for all versions. If on NK2, just flash NCG kernel in ODIN, run towelroot, install SuperSU, flash NK2 kernel in ODIN, install SafeStrap, then follow the directions from there.

Reactions: unit713

fukenbiker

Jan 28, 2011
Los Angeles
lango.us
Right. That method works for all versions. If on NK2, just flash NCG kernel in ODIN, run towelroot, install SuperSU, flash NK2 kernel in ODIN, install SafeStrap, then follow the directions from there.

I used ODIN to flash my new SM-G900V running Lollipop back to baseband version: G900VVRU1ANI2 Android version 4.4.4
Then I used ODIN to flash the NCG kernel
After flashing the NCG kernel with ODIN the phone restarted and began with "Android is upgrading" after getting past the verizon splash screen. 337 apps "optimizing app".
starting apps
opened my files and found towelroot and clicked to install
apps force closed so I clicked each one as they popped up as the towelroot APK was installing. Opened Towelroot
and
hit the make it rain button... success!
pulled the battery
volume down, home, power button held, to go to download mode, I hit volume up
put the NC2 kernel in ODIN and flashed
optimizing app 154
phone turned on and I went to play store and installed my purchased app Root Explorer and tested it and was able to use Root Explorer to browse the contents of my phone.
Thank you very much! I sent twenty bucks to the towelroot folks

I forgot to install Superuser SU while it was running the NCG kernel so I fired up Odin and put the S5 in download mode again and flashed the NCG kernel again, made it past the forced closes again to install Superuser SU, flashed the NC2 kernel again.

From what I've learned, flashing the new lollipop rom like MOAR, you have to flash these kernels back and forth with Odin if you want SafeStrap to work.

I tried the OptimusRom, but I am happy with the handset on the NI2 build of KK. After finally getting root, TB freezes all the Samsung bloatware and the Verizon apps nicely and I'm happy with my daily driver.

UPDATE: I am running the OptimusRom 5.0 now. And I did not flash it to a ROM Slot. Battery life doubled. I don't see SS anymore on reboot, but if I need it, I can always start over, but I'm happy with it enough for now.

new update:
I found a debloat script and side loaded it with a computer using Android Debugging Bridge. Plugging the phone into the computer and flashing NGC kernel to see safestrap is no big deal anymore, Odin is my friend. After using ADB simply Odin up when you're done, and flash the OC4 kernel to turn the phone back on.

I have this all dialed in the way I want without anything extra and the amazing camera works great. Here's a screen shot of my battery life. I think it's pretty good:
battery.png

Attachments

• battery.png
    battery.png
    161.8 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

kairo26

May 7, 2015
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 Android Version 5.0 Model# SM-G900V

Greetings All,

I found a similar post for my question, but I don't want to downgrade to Kitkat 4.4.4. because of the risk of having data wiped. I do have my current data backed up. My intentions are to root it. pick a software (wondershare or something else) to try and retrieve business info (SMS) from a specific number.. up to about 3 weeks ago. I Accidently erased it and I need it. I am not sure if it is possible, but reading through other forums. It seems like there is a chance? How many SMS before that info gets re-written?

Heres what I am trying to do. I want to root my phone. I have no idea what information is needed so I'm providing the following. Let me know if there is any other information needed.

Thank you

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 Android version 5.0
Model# SM-G900V
Baseband version G900VVRU1BOC4
Kernel Version 3.4.0 dpi@SWDD6315#1 Wed March 18 13:27:28 KST 2015
Build# lrx21T.G900VVRU1BOC4
SE for Android status
Enforcing SEPF_SM-G900V_5.0_002
Hardware Version G900V.05
Security Software Version
MDF V1.1 Release 4
VPN V1.4 Release 3
KNOX version 2.3
configuration version J13.SAM.SMG900V.1

al50

Apr 7, 2013
Down South
I have been reading through these threads looking to see whether or not a non-rooted Verizon S5 with the OTA OC4 update. I have seen different replies to whether or not it can be safely rooted. Coming from a S3(rooted with Alliance Rom Build 23 on MF1) to the S5 that's non-rooted with the OC4 update installed, I am a newbie on these methods of accessing root and don't want to "brick" it. I've seen the posts on how to root and how to Odin the OC4 update and still have root. I just haven't seen any posts directly speaking of rooting a non-rooted S5 that has the OTA OC4 update. Just want to be safe at all costs. I apologize for the lengthy post and thank you all for your hard work in your development(s). CHEERS :)

fukenbiker

Jan 28, 2011
Los Angeles
lango.us
I have the exact same S5 handset as you do.

I made the previous post, one page back.
The bottom line is you have to Odin back to 4.4.4 Baseband version G900VVRU1ANI2 and use towelroot like everyone else.
This video helped me alot:
https://youtu.be/R64pvVHfG28

Note that I'm not afraid of a wipe and I'm just a little bit more dare devil and I tried a short cut and it didn't work. Stuck in a recovery bootloop with nothing in recovery was as far as I got without reading directions. Also, I could care less about 'Lollipop'. I was happy with my old S2 and CyanogenMod. It got smashed, still works, but you'll cut your finger swiping it's smashed so bad, and it's hard to read. I never will have a cool lock screen with five options to turn on anymore, unless someone leaks and they crack the locked bootloader.

So I'll be content running KitKat now that I have root, and I used Titanium Backup to remove all the Samsung bloatware and the Verizon apps. That will have to do.

Also, I've done a lot of reading, and it sounds like that's all Titanium Backup is good for, as the folks flashing custom roms have flakey problems when using TB to restore stuff. So I just use it to freeze stuff so my app drawer isn't chocked full.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

MATLOCC

May 19, 2015
newbie very confused! Help first post.

I have been reading and know very little about rooting. Am I wrong that there is not root for lollipop? You must get back to the 4.4.4 version and then "flash" (what ever that means, some kernels and stuff.
I need a step by step process to follow and I don't want to brick the phone. Can someone help me? Do I have to back up stuff onto my computer or my phone or what?

SpitefulSiren

Feb 23, 2014
Can't root

Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 Root & Then Some Thread

The Goal of this thread is to get you rooted and provide you with up to date information all in one place.
The OP will be updated as much as I possibly can with the latest information so please try and refer to it or just search the thread

Questions Answered (Updated 8/8/14):
Can I Root my Verizon S5?
- Yes (see OP here or below details)
Can I Root the NE9 Update?
- Yes, See the Guide post HERE
Can I unlock my bootloader and install CWM/TWRP
- NO, NO and NO. Right now we only have root. Root will not allow you to install custom recovery
Can I atleast install Safestrap Recovery?
- As of now (6/25/14) we have Safestrap thanks to Hashcode.
Will this trip Samsung KNOX and what do I do with it
No, root will not trip your KNOX counter. SuperSU will disable KNOX.
Where do I install SuperSu (superuser app)
6/16 - Right now please use the updated SuperSU app posted to @Chainfire website until it is updated to the play store. The play store version will work, you just will not be able to update binaires. Go here http://download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip and extrack the .APK and sideload it.
What apps are safe to debloat and how do I remove them?
List will be below. For best removal try titanium backup pro or root explorer. If you haven't bought them by now I suggest you do.
Can I Install Xposed Framework and make it work
Glad you asked, the answer is Yes. See below for further info
Can I get rid of the SD Card R/W restrictions
Yes - Details Below
How do i get rid of that security update notification?
See below
How do I disable OTA updates?
See below

I will keep this OP updated with valued questions from the community. Please refer to OP

I just a Verizon Galaxy S5 online, baseband version G900VVRU1ANK2. I need to root it to fix a sim card issue but it is virtually impossible to root this thing, I tried with towelroot & even Kingo root, both failed. What are my options? Any help appreciated :(

Badger50

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
I just a Verizon Galaxy S5 online, baseband version G900VVRU1ANK2. I need to root it to fix a sim card issue but it is virtually impossible to root this thing, I tried with towelroot & even Kingo root, both failed. What are my options? Any help appreciated :(

You'll probably need to Odin back to NCG firmware and kernel, then use towel root. That's what worked for me.

Reactions: SpitefulSiren

fukenbiker

Jan 28, 2011
Los Angeles
lango.us
brick

I downloaded Odin & the NCG file. I'm a semi noob at this, it would suck to brick my device lol. Where can I find detailed instructions on how to proceed? Thanks in advance :)

I tried flashing without much more than an idea, and not understanding the directions is what made me read and study more. I got stuck in a recovery boot loop. It's that pit in your stomach you get if you hardly ever gamble, and you put several hundred dollars up for grabs in Vegas, when you really need the money for other things.

So, in an effort to upgrade from paper weight status, I finally figured it all out, and I admit, it's complicated compared to getting root on a handset that doesn't have it's bootloader locked.

I'm very happy with my S5 running OptimusROM

Here's what really helped me:

https://youtu.be/R64pvVHfG28

fukenbiker

Jan 28, 2011
Los Angeles
lango.us
it's complicated

until you do it once or twice, then it's not so scary.

I'm not saying you can't brick your phone, but it looks like it's impossible to make a brick out of a SM G900V.

If you read that thread about CyanogenMod, those guys without locked bootloaders are having a blast flashing all kinds of ways and ending up in boot loops or frozen on start screens, I read about craziness over there just for the grins. Sounds like they got most of it working, except the camera, CM camera is really bad, barely works, crashes or forcecloses. It's up to 70 pages of entertainment now, and they still have people trying to flash CM12 with the wrong Kernel.

The kernel flashing is the way, it appears to me, the work around a locked bootloader, if you will.

The bottom line, if you screw up, you're going to have use a computer to download stock firmware (ALL_VZW_G900VVRU1ANI2_G900VVZW1ANI2_2525521_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.md5) to your computer and learn how to use Odin.

The phone needs to be turned on by holding volume down/home/power all at the same time and don't let go when you feel it vibrate. It will show you a screen that I thought was pretty scary at first, then let go. Then press volume up. Then plug your phone into your computer with Odin running. See the Com port in Odin light up? click the AP button and put the tar in, and FLASH it baby! Back to stock. Square one.

The directions are plentyful here in this forum. I like videos is why I posted a link to that video in my previous post to help you. If you have a Verizon handset, you will never get to play with CyanogenMod, (because the SM G900V has a locked bootloader) and I suspect that if you try, might be the one true way to end up with a brick. Verizon made sure we can't have a custom recovery, unfortunately.

Badger50 sums it up well when he printed: "You'll probably need to Odin back to NCG firmware and kernel, then use towel root. That's what worked for me."

That's what worked for me too. And as far as I know, it's the only way you can get root access to have a 'work-around'.

It's a work-around that does the job however! It worked and towelroot is the only way, as far as I know, is why I bought them a beer.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 Root & Then Some Thread

The Goal of this thread is to get you rooted and provide you with up to date information all in one place.
    The OP will be updated as much as I possibly can with the latest information so please try and refer to it or just search the thread

Questions Answered (Updated 8/8/14):
    Can I Root my Verizon S5?
    - Yes (see OP here or below details)
    Can I Root the NE9 Update?
    - Yes, See the Guide post HERE
    Can I unlock my bootloader and install CWM/TWRP
    - NO, NO and NO. Right now we only have root. Root will not allow you to install custom recovery
    Can I atleast install Safestrap Recovery?
    - As of now (6/25/14) we have Safestrap thanks to Hashcode.
    Will this trip Samsung KNOX and what do I do with it
    No, root will not trip your KNOX counter. SuperSU will disable KNOX.
    Where do I install SuperSu (superuser app)
    6/16 - Right now please use the updated SuperSU app posted to @Chainfire website until it is updated to the play store. The play store version will work, you just will not be able to update binaires. Go here http://download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip and extrack the .APK and sideload it.
    What apps are safe to debloat and how do I remove them?
    List will be below. For best removal try titanium backup pro or root explorer. If you haven't bought them by now I suggest you do.
    Can I Install Xposed Framework and make it work
    Glad you asked, the answer is Yes. See below for further info
    Can I get rid of the SD Card R/W restrictions
    Yes - Details Below
    How do i get rid of that security update notification?
    See below
    How do I disable OTA updates?
    See below

I will keep this OP updated with valued questions from the community. Please refer to OP
    Basic Tools & Fixes
    ODIN Back to Stock
    To view detailed instrcutions on how to ODIN back to Stock for VZW S5 see this post HERE

How to disable the annoying Security Update Notification
    Using Titanium Backup look for the app "Security policy updates SPD_v2_1402_4_1" and freeze it

How to disable verizon OTA
    Using Titanium Backup look for "SDM 1.0" and freeze it

Fix S-Health FC when using Xposed
    See this link for step by step I recommend trying to back up Xposed settings as it requires you to uninstall it.
    You also need to Wipe the data of the "Health Service" under "All" Apps for it to work. - CONFIRMED
    6/18/14 - Spoke with Wanam Developer, doesnt seem to be an issue within Wanam, more then likely it is Xposed.

Allow Apps to write to extSD (Root Explorer or build.prop editor needed)
    See explanation and thread HERE

Running List and How-To For Debloating Apps

I personally recommend 2 Apps to remove bloat. I will list instruction for Titanium Backup (TiBu)
    1) Titanium Backup I use this 99% of the time. Please buy the PRO version and support great developers.
    2) Root Explorer

To uninstall bloat. Open TiBu and select the middle option for "Backup/Restore"
    Select the app you wish to remove
    Select Un-install!
    Poof!! no more bloat app.

Here is a list of apps safe to remove that will not cause you to have to have issues. This is how they appear in TiBu​
    This list will grow with time. Remember remove them at your own risk
    Accessories
    Amazon
    Amzon app suite
    Amazon Kindle
    Amazon MP3
    Appstore release
    Audible
    Caller Name ID
    Cloud
    HP Print Service Plugin
    Message+
    My Verizon Mobile
    NFL Mobile
    POLARIS Office 5
    Slacker
    Verizon Tones
    Verizon Support & Protection
    Voicemail
    VZ Navigator​

Fellow XDA memeber @xboxexpert has created a batch file method of removing bloat. See His thread HERE
    Instructions for Rooting.

First and foremost....A HUGE thanks to @geohot for our current root method. If you have not done so, please donate to him. Also this will only work on the NCG build. You must start form here then you can update to newer builds. Check the forums

- See here for his OP
    - Once you have completed the instructions and used Towelroot. Let's get us some SuperSu on it!!
    6/16/14 For now please download the following zip located HERE and extract the SuperSU.apk from the "Common" Folder in the ZIP and sideload the app. 6/18/14 Play Store version of SuperSU has bene updated and will update the binariy. Download SuperSU from playstore HERECredit to @Chainfire for SuperSU
    - Enable USB Debugging if you have not done so Already in Developer Options. I've heard this helps when installing the binary To enable Developer Options go into Settings > About phone and tap on your build number 7 times.
    - Once SuperSU is installed Open it.
    - It will state that Samsung KNOX is detected and ask to disable it. The choice is yours, but I let it disable.
    - Next you will need to update your binary. The choice are "Normal" or "TWRP/CWM". You MUST choose "Normal" as TWRP and CWM require unlocked bootloaders which we do not have as of now.
    - Download Root Checker form the Play Store HERE
    - Once you have verified you have root CONGRATS!!

Please keep in mind this only works for Devices with a Kernel Build Date older then 06/03/2014.

UPDATE 8/8/14 - Rooting the NE9 Update
    - a step by step Guide for rooting NE9 is available thanks to member @muniz_ri along with other members. I personally have not used it yet but many have. See his OP and thread located HERE

UPDATE 12/9/14 - Rooting the NI2 Update
    - Basically it is the same as rooting the NE9 build. For a detailed guide please see this link HERE. Credits to @JTidler for the post.
    Saftestrap Compatible ROMS!!!!

Last Updated 12/9/14
    Know of a ROM you want listed? PM me

ROMS are starting to show up slowly and surely Check over in the Verizon Galaxy S5 Android Development Section HERE
    I will be featuring a few in this post once I have had a chance to flash them and play with them or have enough info to feature them​

Alliance ROM by @BeansTown106 is the most customizable ROM to date and can be found HERE
    UPDATE 12/9/2014 - OP Beanstown106 has ended his support for the ROM, its last build was on NI2. Not to say someoen will not pick it up, but just a note. Stay Tuned

OptimalROM ROM by @BigBot96 offers a nice smooth optimized stock experience and can be found HERE

Eclipse S5 TW by @nitroglycerine33 is a TW based ROM that offers AOSP Stylign with a pure Google Experience. It can eb found HERE.

Symbiote Syndicate by @elliwigy is by far the smallest packaged ROM removing as much bloatware as possible and it can be found HERE

Rick's ROM by @Misterxtc is a simple Deodexed Debloated and Tweaked ROM based on @BeansTown106's base. It can be found HERE
    Instructions for Installing Safestrap Recovery

Until everything is 100% I will just post the link to hashcode's thread for the S5. Please keep in mind that this is ONLY FOR THE VERIZON S5. ATT users, DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT flash Safestrap. Hashcode illicitly says not to in his thread. If you want up to date info on ATT Safestrap I suggest following Hashcode on twitter.

First and foremost you need to know what exactly safestrap is before proceeding.

Credit to Hashcode
    "WHAT IS SAFESTRAP?

Safestrap is a Bootstrap / Recovery for locked bootloader phones. The goal is to avoid touching your primary system (I'll call this "stock" system) and only flash or make large changes to another place on your phone that Safestrap treats as a "2nd system" (in this case, it's a series of virtual ROM slots located on the internal emmc area: "/sdcard"). Once installed, you will see a "Splashscreen" giving you the option to hit "menu" to enter recovery. The recovery portion of Safestrap is now based on TWRP 2.7.1.x (a touch based recovery) and you can perform .zip installs, backups and restores here. The additional features I've added to TWRP are mostly located under the "Boot Options" menu:
    Here you can create virtual ROM-slots (probably only 1 on the S5 due to partition size and internal space) for flashing ROMs. These ROM-slots allow for different sizes of /system, /data and /cache partitions. The defaults *SHOULD* be good enough for flashing the stock-based ROMs.

NOTE: The bigger you make these partition the less room you will have to make other ROM-slots.
    You can activate a new ROM-slot by choosing the slot you wish to make active and then selecting the "Activate" button. Once active, you will see the "rom-slot#" up in the top of the screen shown in green. If you make the "stock" ROM active, then you can see it in the top shown in red.
    Once a ROM-slot is active, all actions you would normally perform using TWRP are directed to that ROM-slot. For example, "Install" to flash a .zip, backup and restore."

Hashcode's Verizon S5 Safestrap Thread can be found HERE