I accidentally rooted stock t-mobile mytouch 4g 2.3.4 (2.32.531.1)

Search This thread

raphael888

Jul 23, 2010
Dears:

Following is my steps.

1. go to htcdev.com, get and flash RUU_Glacier_hboot_0.89.0007_signed.exe.
2. go to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1498003 and download hasoon2000 's Vivid All-In-One Kit V2.1.
A. extract Vivid All-In-One Kit V2.1 and execute Vivid 2.1.exe in it.
B. because I've installed HTC driver and registered in HTCDEV, I started from step 3 "Get Token ID" to step 5 "Unlock Bootloader".
C. download http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.0-glacier.img and put it in Vivid_All-In-One_Kit_v2.0\Data\Recovery directory.
D. rename recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.0-glacier.img to recovery-cwm-vivid-5.5.0.4B2.img
E. back to hasoon2000 's Vivid All-In-One Kit V2.1. Execute Vivid 2.1.exe again then choose "CWM 5.5.0.4(GB)" and press "flash recovery"
F. boot the phone into recovery, go to "-mounts and storage", choose "- mount /data", "-mount /sdcard", "- mount /system".
G. back to Vivid 2.1.exe, in "Extra" section, choose "Perm Root(GB/ICS)", that's all.

Last edited:

DylanTheVillian

Nov 21, 2010
Spring, TX
I just got my replacement again(3rd time in 3 months) I wonder if I should try this....?

Edit: upon further thinking.... That's a lot of steps for an "accident"....?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

raphael888

Jul 23, 2010
I just got my replacement again(3rd time in 3 months) I wonder if I should try this....?

Edit: upon further thinking.... That's a lot of steps for an "accident"....?

Yesterday, I tried to root vivid and amaze and both was succeeded.
Then I was wondering if I can use the same method to root mytouch 4g.
The downgrade steps is a little bit complicated, I'm too lazy to take a try.
That's why I use "accidentally" , and that works!

morbidmrmartin

Jul 16, 2010
Lansing
This is awesome if it's legit! The downgrade process we've been using is a big hassle IMO. Great find!

eqjunkie829

Apr 17, 2011
West Jordan, UT
Yesterday, I tried to root vivid and amaze and both was succeeded.
Then I was wondering if I can use the same method to root mytouch 4g.
The downgrade steps is a little bit complicated, I'm too lazy to take a try.
That's why I use "accidentally" , and that works!

Downgrade process was cake! Only thing that would make it easier is full automation!

Sent from my Glacier using Tapatalk 2

raphael888

Jul 23, 2010

Attachments

• 2012-04-29_05-47-18_593.jpg
    2012-04-29_05-47-18_593.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 724

GrimReaper24

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 10, 2011
It should say s-off , not s-on... I have been telling people not to use HTC Dev to unlock your phone. I believe it makes flashing different roms a pain in the ass...

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA

I am gonna move this outta dev section to the Q&A..

Also Dev method isn't that bad few extra steps to do things..

jjbadd385

Jul 10, 2011
Laurens S.C.
That's nothing more than HTCDEV unlocked bootloader! When you flash a Rom, prepare to flash the boot.img seperate! You should really re-lock your bootloader and root properly. That big pink "UNLOCKED" has got HTCDEV unlocked all over it...I wouldn't do this people!....

Sent from my HTC GLACIER using xda premium

burton7061

Jun 30, 2012
Thank you raphael888 for your post. This indeed works. Here is how I verified this is more than just the HTCDEV bootloader unlock.

First I just did the HTCDEV bootloader steps. Then installed Root Check from the market. Root checker verified the phone was still locked although the bootloader was unlocked. The system security status was S-On

I then continued your steps to the end. I then checked the phone with the Root Check. This time it said that I have root privileges. I also loaded Root Uninstall. I was able to give SU authority to system apps. The system security status is still S-On. However it appears I have SU access.

So your steps gives the Super User ability. You may not be able to flash the ROM. However if your goal is to be able to have greater control over your phone this is much better than the HTCDEV Bootloader Unlock.

Once again Thanks for your help!!

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
This is EXACTLY HTCDev bootloader unlock, and you don't know what HTCDev bootloader unlock is. Or should I clarify: this is EXACTLY the rooting method that involves HTCDev bootloader unlock as one of its steps, referenced as "HTCDev unlock" just like other methods are referenced by the main step in multiple-step scheme ("gfree" or "root.sh"), which isn't a method of choice and isn't suggested to anyone but those who only want root on stock ROM, thus it didn't receive a sticky of its own.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's nothing more than HTCDEV unlocked bootloader! When you flash a Rom, prepare to flash the boot.img seperate! You should really re-lock your bootloader and root properly. That big pink "UNLOCKED" has got HTCDEV unlocked all over it...I wouldn't do this people!....

Sent from my HTC GLACIER using xda premium
    Dears:

Following is my steps.

1. go to htcdev.com, get and flash RUU_Glacier_hboot_0.89.0007_signed.exe.
    2. go to http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1498003 and download hasoon2000 's Vivid All-In-One Kit V2.1.
    A. extract Vivid All-In-One Kit V2.1 and execute Vivid 2.1.exe in it.
    B. because I've installed HTC driver and registered in HTCDEV, I started from step 3 "Get Token ID" to step 5 "Unlock Bootloader".
    C. download http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.0-glacier.img and put it in Vivid_All-In-One_Kit_v2.0\Data\Recovery directory.
    D. rename recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.0-glacier.img to recovery-cwm-vivid-5.5.0.4B2.img
    E. back to hasoon2000 's Vivid All-In-One Kit V2.1. Execute Vivid 2.1.exe again then choose "CWM 5.5.0.4(GB)" and press "flash recovery"
    F. boot the phone into recovery, go to "-mounts and storage", choose "- mount /data", "-mount /sdcard", "- mount /system".
    G. back to Vivid 2.1.exe, in "Extra" section, choose "Perm Root(GB/ICS)", that's all.

It should say s-off , not s-on... I have been telling people not to use HTC Dev to unlock your phone. I believe it makes flashing different roms a pain in the ass...

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA