[App] Soft Screen Tuner

Search This thread

RBS_Vader

Sep 1, 2010
BTW, who knows: constant light gray stripes on gray background - is that covered by warranty? seem to be some damaged/worn-out rows. It is not software issue, 100%.

W

weymouthstan

"Screen Adjuster" from the Market does much the same job, and works on ICS.
It's free, but it needs restarting after a reboot, and the changes don't show when you're in a hardware decoding video player (like MX Player).

I had an S3 for a while, and HD videos looked fabulous on it and crap on my S2. I thought it was a hardware thing, but I switched from Rockplayer to MX player (with HW decoding disabled) and jacked the red up 10% using Screen Adjuster and got the playback looking identical (only smaller, obviously)
I was happy to send the S3 back after that. :)

WS

expl0de

Sep 30, 2010
The app is old and beta, it has some bugs and you may need to reflash your rom to go to stock.

BadCluster

Sep 21, 2008
Venice
www.giocoleria.org
I don't know if I've do something wrong... but I've decompiled the Soft Screen Tuner.apk and now I've the source code.
But I'm not a developer and I don't know how to modify this AWESOME app for do it compatible with ICS!
If I can I do an attachment with the source code... maybe any developers come here and help us...

@For the author of this FANTASTIC app: If you do this app Pay in the market I'll buy it! and I think a lot of people buy it! you'd can be a very rich man! lol

I'm sorry for my english!
I wait to know if I can attach the Source Code!

Reactions: _Sofos_

VeEuzUKY

Oct 10, 2008
Can it be done? Ill pitch in and donate! This app is a breakthrough! Count me in!

wql

Oct 21, 2008
Fishburg
Hi guys.
My program works with files that were /system/etc on firmware 2.x
At ICS do not have these files there and I have no idea at now, how to do it differently.
My programming skill is weak. (its my first work on android :) ).
I`m Sorry :(

Last edited:

jj_95nano

Sep 9, 2012
Your app IS COOL!

Hi guys.
At ICS do not have these files there and I have no idea at now, how to do it differently.

I used your screen tuner app on gingerbread. It helped remove yellow tint, but the yellow tint came back in the camera app, browser app and gallery apps... I know there are mdnie profiles even for camera and gallery; So can you please tell me how to change color temperature in those mdnie profiles too??? (I can do it using root explorer/notepad++) (I just need to know the value that changes color temperature in those profiles)

Thanks! I hope for a reply soon!

EDIT: See this post for info about mdnie on ICS: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29611133&postcount=5

Last edited:
Reactions: p.z12791 and wql

jj_95nano

Sep 9, 2012
Good luck with that! Till then, it is ur app that will make me stay on gingerbread! ;) Hope it works on ICS/JB in the future... But it is a great app with awesome potential!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

jj_95nano

Sep 9, 2012
Now that JB is available why don't u try developing the app for JB? ;)

VeEuzUKY

Oct 10, 2008
Guys we need make this happen! Have 2 Tabs running JB, both with horrid yellow/brown tint and all the "color correction" apps available on the Google Play store like SUN FILTER, or FILTER MY SCREEN, or are a joke. What do we need to get this development going. As I stated before, count me in for donation to get this going. Happy 2013 everyone! Lets get this app off the ground again!:) :) :)

_Sofos_

Sep 9, 2011
Thessaloniki
Guys we need make this happen! Have 2 Tabs running JB, both with horrid yellow/brown tint and all the "color correction" apps available on the Google Play store like SUN FILTER, or FILTER MY SCREEN, or are a joke. What do we need to get this development going. As I stated before, count me in for donation to get this going. Happy 2013 everyone! Lets get this app off the ground again!:) :) :)

I have discovered two solutions so far.
1. Kernel with screen options (let's you change color values - depends on the phone tho) 2. Screen Adjuster : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netmanslab.sa - Bug : you have to disable screen Adjuster if you want to install an app manually, check the description.

I also prefer this one but I'm fine with those 2 as workaround.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

VeEuzUKY

Oct 10, 2008
I have discovered two solutions so far.
1. Kernel with screen options (let's you change color values - depends on the phone tho) 2. Screen Adjuster : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netmanslab.sa - Bug : you have to disable screen Adjuster if you want to install an app manually, check the description.

I also prefer this one but I'm fine with those 2 as workaround.

Yes but there are two problems with these apps. First they ONLY add tint.. you cant subtract a color, just add more color.. that destroys the Gamma curve and add a haze/tint to the whole screen (specially visible on dark areas).. it looks just as bad as not not trying to correct the colors. Would be simple I think for the developers to modify the sliders to - and + / +100 -100% instead of just 0-100%.

But the second problem is that these apps destroy the GUI performance! All gets slow, stutters, lags and all animations and flow of the Tab becomes a disaster! Cant use. Unless the developers of these apps fix the problem, these apps really are no good. I wrote to them before and made a request but got (as usual) no reply.

And as for the bug of having disable the screen adjustment to install an app, yes, I know and its also silly but not a huge issue for me.. surely the developers could also fix it..

So really, Im still looking for a proper solution.. these apps are not a solution and do more harm than good.. add horrible tinting when changing colors, kill the desktop performance of the phone and interfere with app install.. lots of issues and still not get acceptable color correction!

Last edited:
Reactions: p.z12791

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Soft Screen Tuner [Abandoned]
    current version 0.8 beta
    need root, work only Gingerbread firmwares !!!

Abandoned, because don`t work with ICS firmwares and I have no idea, how fix it at now :(

This is not a service or background process.
    After making changes you can uninstall the app and settings will stay in.

Dont work with non Samsung phones

support phones:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    Samsung Galaxy Note
    Maybe other Samsung phones with Amoled screens

ver. 0.8 beta
    * bugfixes
    + Added Saturation
    + added test images (menu > Test the current settings)
    + added Spanish (Thanks to Dano)
    Whoa! :jawsdropped:
    You have made an amazing discovery mate! I'm sure wql will know how to load profiles at boot if he looks at the source code of Galactic night. Fingers crossed.:thumbup:

Edit: can u share with me how you modified one of the profiles? (i know about values of mDnie and my screens variation - it would be lovely if u could share only the procedure)
    Thanks !:D

Sure. I downloaded the ADT bundle and the source code for Galactic Night (http://code.google.com/p/galacticnight/), opened it in Eclipse and in ScreenControl.java changed the values of bwSepia to mine. Then I compiled the app, installed the apk and switched to "Mono Sepia" in the app. Of course, you can use any profile you want, it's just an example of how I did it. It's a pretty crude solution but it does work. The way I understand it, the profile gets loaded each time you turn on your screen, that's how the mDNIe "interface" for loading custom profiles works in ICS/JB. I'm not sure if loading profiles at boot would be tricky or not, I spoke to arpruss about the app but forgot to ask him that.
    The reason Screen Adjuster and similar apps work poorly for screen calibration is that they are basically just full screen transparent overlays. I'm not a fan of available kernel adjustments either. They only offer control for red and blue channels and most importantly, the adjustments don't seem to affect pure whites. So if you have a yellow tinted screen, you can add more blue to make the greys neutral however pure white will still be yellow tinted.

The good news is that there IS a way to make adjustments like it was in Gingerbread. The bad news is that no app that I've seen does that and we need a dev who will do it for us. Someone has already linked a post by arpruss that explains mDNIe files were moved into the driver itself but there is still a way to inject a custom mDNIe profile in ICS and JB.

The catch is that not all Galaxy variants support this full nDNIe control. International i9100 does for sure. To check if your device supports it, download a free app by arpruss called Galactic Night: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.pruss.GalacticNight&hl=en and check if Sepia mode is available. If it is and it works, your phone has the full mDNIe system.

Now, Galactic Night is open source, and the way it works is by loading custom mDNIe profiles, which is just what we need for color control. My phone is green tinted so what I did was change one of the modes to my liking, compile the app and simply switched to that mode. It loads the custom mDNIe profile, doesn't slow down the phone and works everywhere (UI, camera, videos, browser). Pretty happy with my screen now, no more green tinted whites and it scales up with other colors too, it's not just whites that are affected.

A simplified way mDNIe works would be like this. You can control eight main colours individually: black, blue, green, cyan, red, magenta, yellow and white. The standard mDNIe profile looks like this:

Code:
    0x0000,	//kb R	SCR
    0x0000,	//gc R
    0xffff,	//rm R
    0xffff,	//yw R
    0x0000,	//kb G
    0xffff,	//gc G
    0x0000,	//rm G
    0xffff,	//yw G
    0x00ff,	//kb B
    0x00ff,	//gc B
    0x00ff,	//rm B
    0x00ff,	//yw B
    Each line controls the output of two colors, so the last line would mean yellow gets a 0x00 Blue subpixel, and white gets a 0xFF Blue subpixel. If you want to change the tint of your whites, you just change RGB values for white. It's pretty simple really.

What we need is a dev who would look at the Galactic Night source code, make an app that does the same thing but has an UI to make custom mDNIe profiles on our phone. And add an option for the app to start on boot because currently I have to run the app manually after rebooting. I would do all this if I had more knowledge on android development however I don't unfortunately.
    Your app IS COOL!

Hi guys.

I used your screen tuner app on gingerbread. It helped remove yellow tint, but the yellow tint came back in the camera app, browser app and gallery apps... I know there are mdnie profiles even for camera and gallery; So can you please tell me how to change color temperature in those mdnie profiles too??? (I can do it using root explorer/notepad++) (I just need to know the value that changes color temperature in those profiles)

Thanks! I hope for a reply soon!

EDIT: See this post for info about mdnie on ICS: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=29611133&postcount=5
    This is working amazing, tuning the profiles directly is a much better option. Finally it has arrived.