[q] nexus 4 backup

Search This thread

CAZORLA

Jan 23, 2014
Hi

i stupidly dropped my nexus 4 on the floor and the screen completely smashed, the buttons work fine, but my phone is locked so whenever i connect to my laptop it wont backup my files.

Is there anyway i can backup my pictures and videos?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated, as i have some memoroable pictures stored on there?

Thanks

mr cazorla

:)

Morbe

Mar 6, 2013
Do you have USB debugging enabled? If so you can pull your picture folder via adb.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Morbe

Mar 6, 2013
hi

no its not enabled as my phone has not been rooted

:(

As goofball2k said, you don't need to root your device to enable USB debugging. In your case though, you can't enable it due to the broken screen.

When your screen is locked and you connect your phone to the pc, does it show the phone? If it does it will probably show no folders inside. Right?

What you need to do is unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery and then in the recovery you will be able to use adb pull command.

To do all that you can read efrant's guide (unlock bootloader, flash custom recovery) in this forum, or you can use a toolkit like this guy in your same situation: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2177440

I would recommend efrant's guide as it teaches you the basics on how to use adb and fastboot to flash anything you like.

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

DrFredPhD

Oct 30, 2010
Unlocking his bootloader will wipe the device though. He's SOL unless it's already unlocked.

snapper.fishes

Aug 7, 2010
Hong Kong
Another solution would be to make a backup image of the entire phone memory (see the bootloader unlock sticky thread), but he needs to set a password for the desktop backup first.