Towelroot then more battery drain?

Search This thread

TheArtiszan

Jun 12, 2009
So I just rooted my device with towelroot so I don't trip the knox counter.
All went well with the root process.
Let the phone reboot like it needed
Used the APK from chainfires zip to install supersu on the phone.
When I installed that I allowed it to update su and then disabled knox.
rebooted the phone and verified all was able to power up again okay.
Since doing that I notice that the phone is staying pretty warm without any use and screen off and is being held awake by the kernel. (according to gsam battery monitor)

Has anyone else noticed wake-lock or battery drain issues after rooting the phone with this method?

philliman

Nov 23, 2007
Philly
So far, so good for me. It's pretty much the same

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

TheArtiszan

Jun 12, 2009
Freeze any tmobile app that you don't really use or system app with titanium backup

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Okay I will give that a try.
Worst case scenario I will try and master reset it.

Just happy to have full sd card access again and native tethering working in stock software. Plus ad blocking.

TheArtiszan

Jun 12, 2009
I don't think you will actually need to unroot it. About how long are you getting with your battery now?

tcourb

Jun 8, 2014
I don't think you will actually need to unroot it. About how long are you getting with your battery now?

i plug it out when i wake up at 07:00 in the morning and when i get back from work almost at 18:00 o clock its almost done. only %10 battery remaining. it drains very fast! before towelroot my battary lasts almost 1.5 days

krntehknik303

Nov 5, 2010
Aurora
I'm not even rooted and time to time my phone would get hot without me using it.. It's weird. Known issue or could this be a hardware issue?

TheArtiszan

Jun 12, 2009
I'm not even rooted and time to time my phone would get hot without me using it.. It's weird. Known issue or could this be a hardware issue?

That sounds more like there is a app going rogue or something. While there is a possibility it could be hardware, my bet it is more a software issue. When that happens to me I try to master reset and test without the applications for a little like I might with this if the battery issue don't clear up.

krntehknik303

Nov 5, 2010
Aurora
That sounds more like there is a app going rogue or something. While there is a possibility it could be hardware, my bet it is more a software issue. When that happens to me I try to master reset and test without the applications for a little like I might with this if the battery issue don't clear up.

I actually did a master reset the second day I got my phone because the first time I messed something up with restoring some stuff from my iPhone using Smart Switch (don't know exact name) and my phone was getting hot even before and after the master reset.

Just want to clarify factory reset is the same as master reset right?

indianl

Oct 8, 2009
Same issue here - applied Towelroot on an HTC One M8 (Verizon), root did not work, but battery drains considerably faster now (would estimate about 30% faster drain than before).
There is definitely something going on with the towelroot apk, I have not installed anything else.

iwillkillyou

Aug 13, 2010
Haven't noticed any lag because of towel root. However installing xposed and xprivacy gave me unbearable lag. I had to Uninstall them and the phone went back to being smooth.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

diablo009

Apr 20, 2009
Atlanta GA
So I have to completely setup my phone again? :eek: I guess that's the price for being brave and trying new things :p

Resetting to factory settings after towel root RETAINS root.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

lol i guess so. Back up with kies that will help restoring apps and data.

Or, since you are rooted, use an app lie Tibu to backup apps and data, and restore it after reset. Root survives factory reset.

tcourb

Jun 8, 2014

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Or, since you are rooted, use an app lie Tibu to backup apps and data, and restore it after reset. Root survives factory reset.
Thanks for the info friend. I already factory resetted and solved the battery drain issue.

indianl

Oct 8, 2009

I am not rooted - towelroot doesn't seem to work on the HTC One M8 (Verizon).

I did a factory reset, but the battery still drains like a jug of beer on a summer day... down to 15% after 6 hours :confused:

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

Something's running rogue and keeping your CPU running high, which probably accounts for the heat. A hot phone wastes more energy, so you're getting hit twice. Did you try installing wakelock detector to hunt down the issue?

Looked at wakelock detector, but that only runs on rooted KitKat phones. As mentioned before, Towelroot did not work on my HTC One M8...