LG G3 - Cracked Lens after few hours out of the box

Search This thread

mosesbd

Jan 17, 2013
Netanya
i just Bought my LG G3 Yesterday ,
it was used gently, as i appreciate the feeling of a new device in my hands like any geek,
i did not drop it ( no need to justify here )

i took my G3 to show off a friend and i asked people were in the room if anyone noticed that my phone fell in the past few minutes - one of them is working in a cellular shop and he immediately brought me the news that he already knows what happened by my response because some one who bought g3 from his store came back with the exact same crack and claim he did not drop the phone at all as well.

so i have a broken Lens, camera cant take photos right and i am Deeply disappointed By Lg as i was expecting a higher build quality,
i might be the first to report but just - wait for it ,
people will Google the problem and i am just the first to let you know.

photos added

Attachments

• IMG_1841.jpg
    IMG_1841.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 3,229
  • IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 2,813

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
It doesn't just crack I dropped mine off a balcony 3 floors onto some rocks and it broke the screen of my F400S and some other stuff, but the lens was fine. Hence why I have a D850 but lenses don't just crack.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

whitlecj

Jun 7, 2010
I just had the same thing happen to mine. Not sure how or why it happened but it did. It was in my hot car turned off for an hour or so and then when I got home ours later, I noticed it. It has never been dropped or hit.

ipwngeek

Jul 2, 2011
Grimstad
It is a very, very small chance that it happened by itself - BUT if the glass was fitted in the phone, and was made with too high tension; it COULD technically brake "on its own". However, very rare for this to happen...

I just tried pressing my lens with my thumb, with quite a lot of pressure - didnt do anything

whitlecj

Jun 7, 2010
Anyone know where I can get a replacement lense or where to be looking for them when they come available? Talked to LG and they said they could repair but it would take 2 weeks and they could not tell me what it would cost. I can use my camera because my glass is completely gone over the camera, I would just like to get something over it to keep dust out.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

bftiedt

Dec 27, 2012
I just bought an LCD separator machine send it to me I need practice lol. I seen someone else say the sent there's into lg and cost $150 to fix. You could always get a square trade warranty and go that route

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

whitlecj

Jun 7, 2010
If I could just find a thin 1/2 inch diameter piece of glass, I could fix it myself. Problem is finding the glass. Would not be hard at all to fix and like I said my camera works perfectly fine.

Apr 28, 2013
Sony Xperia 1 III
I just had the exact same thing happen. Phone was fine last night. Set it on night stand before bed. Showered and got ready in the morning. No drops. Got in the car in the morning and touched something jaggedy when I was stopped at a light. Weiiiird. Looks exactly like OP's pic. Luckily I paid for insurance since it's included in T-Mobile's jump program, so hopefully they'll swap it out.

DroidApprentice

Nov 7, 2010
It is one of the areas of the phone which get hotter from use, but I find that an unlikely factor in causing that problem.

WilliamStern

Mar 26, 2010
Miami, Fl.
Hate to say it, but my lens just cracked as well about an hour ago. I went to take the phone off my desk, and it kinda slipped from my fingers. The phone never made it completely off the desk. The two bottom corners were still touching, and the top half maybe a few cm off. Nothing I would ever consider a drop. When I flipped the phone around, to my surprise the lens was cracked. I don't know what to say? Any other phone I've owned in the past this wouldn't have happened to it in this very same situation.

Apr 28, 2013
Sony Xperia 1 III
Hate to say it, but my lens just cracked as well about an hour ago. I went to take the phone off my desk, and it kinda slipped from my fingers. The phone never made it completely off the desk. The two bottom corners were still touching, and the top half maybe a few cm off. Nothing I would ever consider a drop. When I flipped the phone around, to my surprise the lens was cracked. I don't know what to say? Any other phone I've owned in the past this wouldn't have happened to it in this very same situation.

Yeah, man. My old HTC M7...I always run skinless, treat my phones like dirt. Dropped it maybe three times onto concrete from waist height, nothing. So this is pretty gnarly.

Update on T-Mobile, they basically said that they'd take it back under warranty IF it's a manufacturer's defect. But because it's physical damage, they'll probably flag it as user error and charge me for it. I'm claiming manufacturer's defect because I swear this happened spontaneously without a drop whatsoever. So now I basically have to call LG directly, and I'd probably be up for a fight. If anyone here has experience or advice it'd be greatly appreciated.

julz05

Apr 21, 2009
Same Issue

Hey, I had the same issue with the AT&T version, ended up having to send it back along with my powermat (since I assumed that might have caused the crack). They repaired it without charge since they determined that it was indeed a manufacture defect. So if you have something similar it is probably a manufacture defect, and hopefully they will make a note of this soon.

idelgado782

Jul 29, 2008
Union, NJ
Hey, I had the same issue with the AT&T version, ended up having to send it back along with my powermat (since I assumed that might have caused the crack). They repaired it without charge since they determined that it was indeed a manufacture defect. So if you have something similar it is probably a manufacture defect, and hopefully they will make a note of this soon.
I just looked at my phone last night and I have the same issue. I'm on att and I'm going to call them today to see if they will repair it for me. I'm a bit upset honestly. The camera world buy the broken glass distorts the pictures and makes them look foggy. Julz05 who did you send it back to? LG or AT&T?

No matter what, I can never stay away from android for long.

julz05

Apr 21, 2009
I just looked at my phone last night and I have the same issue. I'm on att and I'm going to call them today to see if they will repair it for me. I'm a bit upset honestly. The camera world buy the broken glass distorts the pictures and makes them look foggy. Julz05 who did you send it back to? LG or AT&T?

I sent it back to LG. I called the LG service number and explained the problem, they issue a RA# and you have to send it to their warehouse. Took them almost 2 weeks to fix the phone, and they are just mailing it back now

idelgado782

Jul 29, 2008
Union, NJ
I wanted to come back and post an update for my circumstance just in case any in the future needs to do the same.

Unfortunately I couldn't send my unit back to att or lg because my water damage sticker had been tripped. I had my phone in my pocket and I went on a ride in an amusement park and didn't realize we want under waterfalls! Needless to say I got soaked and water seeped into the phone but after sticking it in rice overnight I was lucky enough to not have water damage besides the tripped sensor. I went on a search and found a seller on eBay selling the top piece which includes the camera lens cover, power/volume rocker. It cost $38 plus $6 shipping and took about a week to get to me. To replace it was fairly easy. Removed 7 screws and unsnapped the old part and then applied the new piece.

One thing to note: the original piece States 850 in various areas and the new piece States 855. However it is the same exact part and for $44 I replaced itself myself without having to be without my phone. Here are some pictures :

2fd61160b498eaed2bc489a54af1d13b.jpg

db1c0ee3d4e058f1a8d644fcd6e52c1a.jpg

Here's the link for the eBay auction http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=351144850263&alt=web

Reactions: tiguy99 and GTCC

oilslickjim

Oct 7, 2012
Auckland
Exact Same Problem

Hi - today I found the exact same fault in my phone. Like other posts here, I did not drop it or get any impact on the phone.

I am in New Zealand and am really disappointed in what I thought was otherwise a great phone. I now have to waste my time trying to establish whether I have any cover for this problem and also realise that it looks like impact damage and technicians will claim it was my fault.

I think this is a manufacturing fault and reading here confirms that something is very wrong here.

Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wanted to come back and post an update for my circumstance just in case any in the future needs to do the same.

Unfortunately I couldn't send my unit back to att or lg because my water damage sticker had been tripped. I had my phone in my pocket and I went on a ride in an amusement park and didn't realize we want under waterfalls! Needless to say I got soaked and water seeped into the phone but after sticking it in rice overnight I was lucky enough to not have water damage besides the tripped sensor. I went on a search and found a seller on eBay selling the top piece which includes the camera lens cover, power/volume rocker. It cost $38 plus $6 shipping and took about a week to get to me. To replace it was fairly easy. Removed 7 screws and unsnapped the old part and then applied the new piece.

One thing to note: the original piece States 850 in various areas and the new piece States 855. However it is the same exact part and for $44 I replaced itself myself without having to be without my phone. Here are some pictures :

2fd61160b498eaed2bc489a54af1d13b.jpg

db1c0ee3d4e058f1a8d644fcd6e52c1a.jpg

Here's the link for the eBay auction http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=351144850263&alt=web

Why so many skeptics thinking this isn't a manufacturers defect? I don't even have this issue and I'm convinced it is a manufacturers defect.

It's already been admitted by LG that ir ports and mic ports are cracking from a manufacturers defect (Which I can almost guarantee is caused from to much heat)
    And I'm 99% certain it's the same heat issue severely weakening the camera lens causing this to happen.
    I know heat can cause hard substances like hard plastic and glass to crack because heat makes hard substances harder but more brittle.
    I've seen heat crack a cpu core before, Which is made from glass. And if heat can split a glass cpu core in half then I can't see any reason why it couldn't crack the glass above the camera which is only a few millimeters away from 50c-80c temps

I was doing some testing with a custom kernel on my G3 the other day and realized the stock gpu frequency in my case is what is making my phone get hot, once underclocked it's as cool as a cucumber but it stutters and lags.
    My final conclusion is, This phone "as is" needs a SD805 for the adreno 420 GPU so it can run at lower frequencys at the same performance but since we can't do that our only option seems to be a gpu underclock which needs root, bump and a custom kernel to accomplish and it will cause stutters and lags but seems to resolve all heat issues my G3 used to have.

The GPU on this phone at stock IDLES at around 60% of it's max gpu frequency just having the screen on NOT DOING ANYTHING, LG did this to ensure a "smooth" experience at these resolutions.

Phone Specs:
    - D852
    - Rin 1.7.0 Kernel
    - CloudyG3 1.2 Rom