zyrtek69

Oct 7, 2010
Lol I hope it Comes soon with all this stuff coming from cricket

Sent from my Zio using XDA App

phazei

Feb 17, 2008
Seattle
... :(
Why does my phone say total memory: 134956kB?

Hmm, actually, the partitions are like so:
Code:
/dev			67476K total,	67464K avail
/sqlite_stmt_journals	4096K total,	4096K avail
/system			105984K total,	23884K avail
/data			190848K total,	87028K avail
/cache			105984K total,	102548K avail
/data/FLEX		18304K total,	8240K avail
/sdcard			7754256K total,	5603608K avail

So when it gives me the mem info it's just talking about the /system partition? What about all that unused space everywhere else? Where's the 256mb it's talking about?

Last edited:

MagickalShadow

Sep 24, 2010
Houston
www.magickalshadow.com

Code:
/dev			67476K total,	67464K avail
/sqlite_stmt_journals	4096K total,	4096K avail
/system			105984K total,	23884K avail
/data			190848K total,	87028K avail
/cache			105984K total,	102548K avail
/data/FLEX		18304K total,	8240K avail
/sdcard			7754256K total,	5603608K avail

So when it gives me the mem info it's just talking about the /system partition? What about all that unused space everywhere else? Where's the 256mb it's talking about?

You're over thinking this. You are not going to actually see a section on your phone with big lights flashing that say "this is your 256Mb of memory". Seriously, if you absolutely just feel like you are being ripped off or something, then contact Kyocera and ask them. Or, contact Google and ask them how Android manages memory and space.

By the way 134956 Kilobytes is only about 131 Mb (Megabytes) give or take a half Mb or so. 131 Mb is less than 256 Mb.

Last edited:

MagickalShadow

Sep 24, 2010
Houston
www.magickalshadow.com
Yeah, I'll just call Google's convenient customer service hotline. I hear they have 100,000 CSR's on staff at all times to answer all Google related questions. :p

Well, they are the best ones to explain where your storage space goes when you fill it up with their program.

From the sounds of your post here, you are not sure what the difference is between a kilobyte and a megabyte. You mentioned "all that unused space" but you listed less storage space than what you are looking for.

Spz0

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 23, 2010

Code:
dot dot dot

Your OS has to reside somewhere in memory correct? Perhaps that's what is taking up your missing space.

phazei

Feb 17, 2008
Seattle
I'm fully aware of the difference between KiB and MiB.

If I add those partitions up it comes to a bit under 512mb, so accounts for ROM in the specs. But only 256mb is user accessible, so that must be what's not root only. Apps are installed in /system/app, so although there might be 256mb user accessible, there's a maximum of 103.5mb minus system media (and whatever else is on the /system/ partition) for apps. Not much. And the rest of the user space is probably /data/.
I should have looked at the partition free space when I wiped the thing again the other day. Oh well.

Still feels like I'm getting ripped.

phazei

Feb 17, 2008
Seattle

phazei

Feb 17, 2008
Seattle
I am sure the way they measure storage space is the same way everyone else in the industry measures it. If you buy another phone that states it has 256Mb of storage, you will most likely find that you have a similar amount of room available.

No doubt. That doesn't change the fact that to the average consumer, who doesn't know what linux even is, manufacturers are fronting some large number that isn't relevant to what the consumers would be using. It might be standard, but it's still dishonest. It's analogous to the whole 500MB BS the HDD mfg's created using decimal rather than binary to cause the whole ridiculous MiB thing. Everything digital operates in binary, so use for the whole "mega" = 1000 vs "mibi" = 1024 is solely for the mfg's benefit and no-one else's.

gregnotcraig

Jan 9, 2010
Mesa, AZ
azgeek.us
Can we please take this whole "where's my memory, damnit?!" argument outside? At least start a new thread or something. this entire thread has been thrown off topic. Now, you kids get off my lawn!

MagickalShadow

Sep 24, 2010
Houston
www.magickalshadow.com
Can we please take this whole "where's my memory, damnit?!" argument outside? At least start a new thread or something. this entire thread has been thrown off topic. Now, you kids get off my lawn!

Hmm...if I was the one asking about the memory, I would wonder if you were calling me a "kid" for having concerns. Seems like it could potentially be rude and insulting...

gregnotcraig

Jan 9, 2010
Mesa, AZ
azgeek.us
Hmm...if I was the one asking about the memory, I would wonder if you were calling me a "kid" for having concerns. Seems like it could potentially be rude and insulting...
Did you lose your sense of humor when you logged in to the forum?
People take themselves too seriously.
No offense was intended. Next time I'm trying to be funny, I'll plaster lauging smileys all over my replies.

MagickalShadow

Sep 24, 2010
Houston
www.magickalshadow.com
Did you lose your sense of humor when you logged in to the forum?
People take themselves too seriously.
No offense was intended. Next time I'm trying to be funny, I'll plaster lauging smileys all over my replies.

One does not have to take themselves seriously to understand that some people do not know how to relate their intentions when typing text. It is not my fault that you did not make yourself clear. Of course, the true sign of taking oneself seriously is when you blame others for not getting your own point across.

I have a great sense of humor. You simply don't tell a good joke.

gregnotcraig

Jan 9, 2010
Mesa, AZ
azgeek.us
One does not have to take themselves seriously to understand that some people do not know how to relate their intentions when typing text. It is not my fault that you did not make yourself clear. Of course, the true sign of taking oneself seriously is when you blame others for not getting your own point across.

I have a great sense of humor. You simply don't tell a good joke.

Touche.
Text in any format - sms, forums - is a terrible medium for communicating humor, sarcasm, etc.

phazei

Feb 17, 2008
Seattle
Now, you kids get off my lawn!

HAHA, I thought that was funny. Like a grumpy old man who's just bitter. I got it. I think it was clearly humor. Perhaps you just have to have heard it before. That phrase is common and is always used for humorous intent. In my head I imagined you doing the old man impression.

I was joking when I talked about googles customer service center with 100,000 reps. I thought it was a riot. Craig just doesn't get our humor. (See, I said Craig rather than Greg because it's the opposite of the username, so it's funny.)

Last edited:

Webinator

Oct 15, 2010
I don't know if this is going in the right place, but I'm going to sell my Zio. I have it for sell for $200 with screen covers front and back, soft cover, and a 8gb micro sd card. I will sell it with all the bought apps and with the root program (disabled right now). I will pay for standard shipping. This phone is 3 weeks old and in perfect condition. I have the box with it too. Thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong place in the forum.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was looking around for a thread for this phone, but found nothing. I hope people start working on it, I'd like to mod it.
    Is there anything I can do to help, like dumping the rom? Do any of the current tools even work on it?
    I read somewhere Kyocera was going to put out an upgrade to 2.1, bit I can't find anything besides a mention of that.

EDIT: FEB 22, 2011
    NEW 2.2 THREAD
    YES! It is actually out! For real!

EDIT: Jan 27, 2011
    It was released (somewhere around page 76) that Android 2.2 would be released Late Feb to early March.

START NEW THREADS!
    If you have questions other than modding, it would help to put it in a new thread with the prefix subject "Kyocera Zio M6000 - "
    I figure if lots of threads pop up like that it would be more likely that they'd notice it and actually create it's own forum. If everything is just tagged onto this thread, then it will just get huge and unnavigable, and the mods won't notice enough activity.

Update:
    hotaru was awesome enough to post a full dump of the Zio for us:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8907621&postcount=287

If you look around this thread you'll find info about rooting the phone. Also in this thread a port Clockwork Recovery was released. There are some issues with it that were not resolvable. Such as if you boot to Clockwork and don't actually reset the phone, it will lose the Cricket settings and revert to Verizon. So it will work to recover a ROM and backup, but you need to also need to reset or restore when you go there.
    Chalo Valencia Jr.

heres what i got to day at zclusive face book page

ZIO OS 2.2 UPDATE.....
    ...Kyocera rep stoped by our corp store today and I was able to speak with him.
    Here's the info i gathered.
    1. Zio OS 2.2 will be launched nationwide week Feb 22nd - Feb 28th.
    2. OS 2.2 has been completed and testing is complete since Jan 16th.
    ...3. Tethering is disabled.
    4. Adobe Flash will be supported
    5. WiFi recommended for downloading update, file is 133 MB.
    6. Performance Improvements
    −The new 2.2 OS has improved management of device memory, providing the user with faster transition through the device user interface and faster interaction with applications.
    7. 5 Home Screens
    −More home screens to further customize device short cuts and quick access to key apps.
    8. Live Wallpaper Support
    −Allows the user to customize their home screen with animated wallpapers (
    9. Camera & Camcorder Feature Buttons
    −Added to the short cut screen to allow for quicker access. These are two frequently used feat...ures consumers wanted quick access to -upload images and content to social networking sights even faster now!
    10. Gallery Zoom Gesture Support
    −Peek into stacks of pictures and zoom in and out with greater ease.
    11. Multiple keyboard languages
    −Allows the user to switch between different languages by swiping across the space bar. This will then change the keys, as well as the auto-update dictionary.
    12. MS Exchange supported (email, calendar, and contacts)
    −Provides the user total access to their daily calendar, all saved contacts and the ability to multitask via e-mail; this is the true Smartphone experience! (Kyocera will provide set up and instructions in updated User Guide)
    13. Application Auto Update
    14. As new apps are downloaded, the user can choose auto update or manual update –the user controls how updates to their device are handled.

DO NOT unplug the device from the computer while the update is in progress (device screen will go black once upgrade is in progress). This will break the device.
    •The tethered upgrade process will take about 10 minutes (progress will be sho...w via status bar in-tool). Thereafter it will power-cycle and wake-up.This may take several minutes as the new system boots on the handset, please be patient.
    –You can confirm the SW version as follows: Menu > Settings > About Phone, scroll down to confirm Android Version = 2.2.1and Build Number = V1.900CR.9C.

ZioAndroid 2.2 Upgrade: Wi-Fi download process, before you start….
    •The device should be fully charged when starting the download.
    •It is recommended that the user set their screen timeout setting to „never time out.‟
    •The file can only be dow...nloaded over Wi-Fi. The user must set up the Wi-Fi connection and remain connected to Wi-Fi for the entire length of the download.
    –Do NOT attempt the download over Mi-Fi(it will take forever).
    •The speed of the upgrade is largely dependent on your Wi-Fi connection and data speeds. On high-speed Wi-Fi connection with good signal quality, the upgrade could take as little as 30 minutes to complete.Under less desirable circumstances, the upgrade could take upwards of 2 hours.

The upgrade consists of 3 separate software packages, your device will power-cycle after each one is downloaded and installed. Only after the third power cycle and restart package will the icons on the home screen be updated.
    •The download ...happens in the background and there are only a few times during the upgrade that the device will not be usable (this is noted in the upgrade instructions). However, it is recommended, for the most efficient upgrade experience, that you refrain from using your device to make / accept calls, sendmessages, or for web access while the upgrade is in process.
    •If the download is interrupted (Wi-Fi is lost) the user can manually restart the download / installation, otherwise the device will automatically retry in 2 weeks.

Source: Zclusive on facebook - this is a very reliable source and all the info seems to be in order, plus this is an awful lot of work for someone to put into something if it werent real

here is the link to the thread - http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=195543437141983&id=100001138331313
    Here is an APN now if some can dump the ROM. Since it can be rooted, a recovery.img can be done, it's 1/3 to having custom 2.1 ROMs built for it.
    my brother got here today... universal androot worked great and i got a rom dump...
    i removed a few system apps he wanted removed before i dumped the system partition, that's what's in the "removed system apps" folder.

http://ig.gl/zio.zip
    Im now waiting to read all the "I somehow bricked my device" posts bound to show up..
    So someones gotta say it..
    Lets be clear: if you dont think you can update your phone yourself using zclusives method, DONT!

Wait for the OTA update.
    Please...

Wait for the update...