[A510] [How-to] Flash stock ICS recovery and stock ICS rom on Acer A510

Search This thread

salisbury_steak

Oct 21, 2010
Manila
www.fb.com
Hello co-A510 users,

I've been lurking for quite a while and I repeatedly see questions about "how to get the JB bootloader?". Followed by the answer "Go back to stock ICS, then get the OTA.". Usually followed by the follow-up question "B-b-but... how?"

This post attempts to answer that follow-up question, for most folks, in the easiest way possible.

The Six Steps to Stock:

Step 1: Download the Stock Acer OS (rom zip)
- Go to http://www.acer.com.au/ac/en/AU/content/drivers
- Select Tablet >> Iconia A >> A510 in the product list
- On the new web portion that will appear, select the "O.S." tab, and download your appropriate build (mine is WW.GEN 1)

Step 2: Flash the OS (rom zip)
- Save the zip in your SD card
- Enter your custom recovery, and flash it
- After the successful flash, reboot your system
- CWM will ask you if you want to keep your custom recovery, say NO. Remember, you want to go back to stock. So let the zip do it's job

Step 3: Check your System Date and Time
- Once booted, make sure that your date and time (time zone included) is correct.

Step 4: Check for System Updates
- Go to Settings >> About Tablet >> System Update >> Check now

Step 5: Wait
- If a pop-up is saying that you're on the latest version, try again at a later time.
- If there's no pop-up saying you're on the latest version, wait. It's a 252MB JB rom downloading in the background.

Step 6: OTA Update
- Once the JB zip is downloaded, a pop-up will say "Install Later, More details, Install Now"
- Select Install Now
- After a few familiar windows, you will now be on the JB recovery, and the JB rom. Ready for the adventure ahead.

Reactions: Lusanagi

Lusanagi

Dec 4, 2011
Queretaro
This is nice, but a little info regarding why installing JB bootloader would be nice (if I remember correctly one of the things is to reduce the screen flicker, but that's what I THINK), and also how to root and get back in custom ROM road

Oh, and also, is there a way to know what verion of tab we have if we're already on custom ROM?

Last edited:

salisbury_steak

Oct 21, 2010
Manila
www.fb.com
This is nice, but a little info regarding why installing JB bootloader would be nice (if I remember correctly one of the things is to reduce the screen flicker, but that's what I THINK), and also how to root and get back in custom ROM road

Oh, and also, is there a way to know what verion of tab we have if we're already on custom ROM?

The main reason that you would want to have the JB bootloader, is to fix the audio stutter bug of the ICS bootloader.

(If you're on the ICS bootloader, play some music files, then turn your screen off. The CPU throttles down to the point of slowing down your music player.)

About how to root JB, I think it should deserve it's own thread. I simply follow the one here, it's pretty complete already (I rooted my stock JB just an hour ago):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=35907925#post35907925

And yes, whatever ROM you are on, you almost always have the settings >> about phone menu.

salisbury_steak

Oct 21, 2010
Manila
www.fb.com
what I meant was get the appropriate build (either WW.GEN 1 or AAP.AU2); I did enter About Phone, but wasn't able to find any of that data (obviously)

Ah... good point. What I personally did was to restore my nandroid back-up from my stock image.

As an alternative, I would say flash NoThrills' optimized WW Gen1 rom. However, I do admit that it is something that I never tried as base. And it's a "do it at your own risk" thing.

tolikvl

Sep 17, 2012
Firmware version 1.073 A510 ICS
After flashing you will have stock firmware 1.73.00 WW GEN with closed bootloader.
Flash the fastboot mode (with unlock bootloader).
Run the restore.bat in the extracted archive folder.
After flashing tablet upgraded to firmware version AV051_A510_1.034.00_WW_GEN1 by OTA.
First post in 4PDA

Sorry for my english .. :cyclops:

ablabla

Nov 13, 2009
Hello co-A510 users,

I've been lurking for quite a while and I repeatedly see questions about "how to get the JB bootloader?". Followed by the answer "Go back to stock ICS, then get the OTA.". Usually followed by the follow-up question "B-b-but... how?"

This post attempts to answer that follow-up question, for most folks, in the easiest way possible.

The Six Steps to Stock:

- On the new web portion that will appear, select the "O.S." tab, and download your appropriate build (mine is WW.GEN 1)

- CWM will ask you if you want to keep your custom recovery, say NO. Remember, you want to go back to stock. So let the zip do it's job

- Once booted, make sure that your date and time (time zone included) is correct.

- If a pop-up is saying that you're on the latest version, try again at a later time.
- If there's no pop-up saying you're on the latest version, wait. It's a 252MB JB rom downloading in the background.

- Once the JB zip is downloaded, a pop-up will say "Install Later, More details, Install Now"
- Select Install Now
- After a few familiar windows, you will now be on the JB recovery, and the JB rom. Ready for the adventure ahead.

Hi,

I'm keen to update my bootloader, and have been trying to get it done for a while now.
However, i got stuck while following your instructions... at the beginning already!
At that url you quoted, there are only UPDATE files. They won't work, tried already. Those need you to have stock rom.
Where can you get a real stock rom zip?

Thanks!
.A.

x4x3

Nov 15, 2012
Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Free mobile app

Hi.
I am trying to get stock jb Rom on my 511 (sorry, i know 510 is in the threat).
Cwm 6.0.4.5, jb bootloader, cm11 and rooted. Full wiped and formated.

Downloaded 4.0 from Acer, edited update.zip 1. line ond got cwm error 7 device probably encrypred.
Tried same with 4.1 from Acer and got cwm error too.

Dont know what to do now?
Could anyone provide help?

Update.............

Now i am on ics, but ota updates could not be downloaded because of unstable network. Flashing update.zip via sd ends in red android logo (tried editing 1st line) after 1/3 progress?
DAMN...

Last edited:

5H00T4

Nov 14, 2010
Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Free mobile app

Hi.
I am trying to get stock jb Rom on my 511 (sorry, i know 510 is in the threat).
Cwm 6.0.4.5, jb bootloader, cm11 and rooted. Full wiped and formated.

Downloaded 4.0 from Acer, edited update.zip 1. line ond got cwm error 7 device probably encrypred.
Tried same with 4.1 from Acer and got cwm error too.

Dont know what to do now?
Could anyone provide help?

Update.............

Now i am on ics, but ota updates could not be downloaded because of unstable network. Flashing update.zip via sd ends in red android logo (tried editing 1st line) after 1/3 progress?
DAMN...

Hi both of you, I know I am terribly late, but I have basically the same problem.
I wanted to go back to the latest stock version because I am selling the tablet.
Before I had all kinds of CM and then NoThrills and wanted to go completely stock.
I managed to get 4.0/ICS with all Stock options, but I couldn't find a way to upgrade to JB with any "official" method.

The standard OTA search says "Unstable network connection" and the SD card update.zip ends with the red triangle robot.
Personally the journey is at an end for me, since I don't care, it will stay on ICS.

Maybe one has to fiddle with the bootloader lock/unlock, but I am tired of it.
Sorry for not being helpful, just saying I have the exact same problem.:eek:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello co-A510 users,

The Six Steps to Stock:

- Select Install Now
    what I meant was get the appropriate build (either WW.GEN 1 or AAP.AU2); I did enter About Phone, but wasn't able to find any of that data (obviously)