[MOD] ROOT | CWM | ODIN | SGH-I727 and SGH-I727R Skyrocket

Search This thread

Copperhed

Oct 13, 2010
Wy
ROOT THE AT&T SGH-I727 AND SGH-I727R SKYROCKET

This procedure does not trigger the Flash Counter, no ! yellow triangle at boot!!!

This method will flash a custom recovery image and then you can flash the superuser.zip file or custom rom to root your phone.

This will root 2.3.5 or 2.3.6.

This requires knowledge with the use of ODIN (Read a guide).

BE CAREFUL because this can harm your phone and I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF IT DOES!!!!

DO NOT HAVE "RE-PARTITION" CHECKED IN ODIN!!!!

First Things you need to have:

*You Need ODIN 1.8++(CLICK ME)
*The USB Drivers for Our Skyrocket
*Clockworkmod Recovery which you are going to flash via ODIN(THIS FILE DOES NOT ROOT YOUR PHONE!)
Code:
recovery.tar MD5 Checksum 9ffa2458019af7974ef4820d0cf5992c
*Superuser+Su files to flash in clockworkmod Or download your favorite custom rom. There is a good list here
*SDCARD installed for CWM Recovery

FIRST STEPS.......

*Install the drivers and make sure the Phone is recognized by your PC.

*Place the "superuser.zip" on your EXTERNAL SD card.

Or place a custom rom on your EXTERNAL SD card.

If you want STOCK rooted then use the superuser.zip, if your going to put a custom rom on anyway then you can use that rom.

***If you have never rooted or installed a custom rom before, I suggest using the superuser.zip method.***

NOW LETS INSTALL CWM RECOVERY........

*Take the battery out and place it back

*Hold both Vol up + Vol down, and plug in the USB cable.
*SGH-I727R (Rogers) users hold Vol down and plug in the USB cable.

*Press Vol up to continue to Download Mode.

*Make sure Odin recognizes your phone as in this picture.
attachment.php

*On ODIN, Select the PDA button and browse to the SkyrocketCWMrecovery.tar that you downloaded earlier

*Make sure the Re-Partition box is NOT checked*

*Select Start and Odin will do its thing.

*It should flash the Recovery file and reboot the phone.

NOW LETS MAKE A BACKUP AND GET ROOTED!!!

*Unplug USB, Take the battery out, place it back, and boot into CWM recovery with the button combo below

*Hold Both Vol up + Vol down and Hit power.

*Once in CWM Recovery, navigate the menu by using the volume buttons and select with the power button.

*Select "backup and restore" and then select "backup".
Now CWM Recovery is backing up your current stock rom, it will take a few minutes, be patient.:)

*After back-up and while still in CWM recovery...

*Select "Install zip from sdcard", choose the superuser.zip, select "YES" and let it install, you may need to flash it about three times if you get errors. Even with the error, sometimes it still works.

(follow the custom rom developers instructions for install of that custom rom!!!!).

*Reboot your phone and check for the superuser app in your app drawer.

*Now you are rooted with CWM Recovery installed!

Have fun!!

Attachments

• Xyfgd.png
    Xyfgd.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 469,222
Last edited:

Phoneguy589

May 1, 2011
S.E. Florida
Will odin be need at some point? I used darklords method but not sure about how to install and access cwm on this device. I had romracers cwm on my atrix.

Phoneguy589

May 1, 2011
S.E. Florida
Thanks. I had installed it before I had rooted so I couldn't flash cwm but all is good now.got itinstalled and made a stock nandroid.

Gr8Danes

Aug 6, 2010
Just to be clear, we can use the CWM for the T-Mobile SGS through ROM manager (just to flash CWM), correct? Are there any features not working?

Copperhed

Oct 13, 2010
Wy
I also believe that using the Odin method will/might trigger the flash counter?

It did trigger the flash counter.

This method does not trigger the flash counter. Only using ODIN to flash a non-stock rom or kernel triggers the flash counter. This method only flashes a the Recovery partition and you use CWM to flash kernels or roms and root.

The ! screen is triggered when you flash a non-stock kernel in download mode - and it's only triggered when flashing using that method. The warning screen "remembers" what you last flashed in download mode, but isn't aware of anything you've flashed using another method.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danielk425

Copperhed

Oct 13, 2010
Wy
Will odin be need at some point? I used darklords method but not sure about how to install and access cwm on this device. I had romracers cwm on my atrix.

ODIN is necessary evil when it comes to Samsung phones, going back to stock, fixing major problems and flashing modems are best solved with ODIN.

I think this is the simplest way to obtain root and have CWM and not trigger the Flash Counter.

Reactions: Anfeldt24

nutedro

Feb 8, 2008
i messed something up

First time doing root myself, ran into a couple of issues.

First Odin on PC said Fail! after choosing recovery.tar file for PDA and clicking start. Phone was still stating "downloading & to not turn off target". Now phone says it's in Odin Mode with yellow triangle error stating "Firmware Upgrade Encountered an Issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again." Downloaded Kies to do recovery, but can't connect...even after re-installing drivers, both from Kies and the driver link from this post.

Im sure i screwed it up, but dont know what to do now....any help would be appreciated!

Copperhed

Oct 13, 2010
Wy
First time doing root myself, ran into a couple of issues.

First Odin on PC said Fail! after choosing recovery.tar file for PDA and clicking start. Phone was still stating "downloading & to not turn off target". Now phone says it's in Odin Mode with yellow triangle error stating "Firmware Upgrade Encountered an Issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again." Downloaded Kies to do recovery, but can't connect...even after re-installing drivers, both from Kies and the driver link from this post.

Im sure i screwed it up, but dont know what to do now....any help would be appreciated!

When using ODIN, be sure ODIN recognizes your phone like this picture.
Xyfgd.png
Make sure no other programs are working in the background, like anti-virus or firewall, and make sure Kies is closed. They can mess up communication with ODIN and your phone.

Have you tried to boot into CWM?

If you can't, try flashing the recovery.tar again.

Then place |Melvin|'s stock rom on your external SD card and flash in CWM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROOT THE AT&T SGH-I727 AND SGH-I727R SKYROCKET

This procedure does not trigger the Flash Counter, no ! yellow triangle at boot!!!

This method will flash a custom recovery image and then you can flash the superuser.zip file or custom rom to root your phone.

This will root 2.3.5 or 2.3.6.

This requires knowledge with the use of ODIN (Read a guide).

BE CAREFUL because this can harm your phone and I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF IT DOES!!!!

DO NOT HAVE "RE-PARTITION" CHECKED IN ODIN!!!!

First Things you need to have:

*You Need ODIN 1.8++(CLICK ME)
    *The USB Drivers for Our Skyrocket
    *Clockworkmod Recovery which you are going to flash via ODIN(THIS FILE DOES NOT ROOT YOUR PHONE!)
    Code:
    recovery.tar MD5 Checksum 9ffa2458019af7974ef4820d0cf5992c
    *Superuser+Su files to flash in clockworkmod Or download your favorite custom rom. There is a good list here
    *SDCARD installed for CWM Recovery

FIRST STEPS.......

*Install the drivers and make sure the Phone is recognized by your PC.

*Place the "superuser.zip" on your EXTERNAL SD card.

Or place a custom rom on your EXTERNAL SD card.

If you want STOCK rooted then use the superuser.zip, if your going to put a custom rom on anyway then you can use that rom.

***If you have never rooted or installed a custom rom before, I suggest using the superuser.zip method.***

NOW LETS INSTALL CWM RECOVERY........

*Take the battery out and place it back

*Hold both Vol up + Vol down, and plug in the USB cable.
    *SGH-I727R (Rogers) users hold Vol down and plug in the USB cable.

*Press Vol up to continue to Download Mode.

*Make sure Odin recognizes your phone as in this picture.
    attachment.php

*On ODIN, Select the PDA button and browse to the SkyrocketCWMrecovery.tar that you downloaded earlier

*Make sure the Re-Partition box is NOT checked*

*Select Start and Odin will do its thing.

*It should flash the Recovery file and reboot the phone.

NOW LETS MAKE A BACKUP AND GET ROOTED!!!

*Unplug USB, Take the battery out, place it back, and boot into CWM recovery with the button combo below

*Hold Both Vol up + Vol down and Hit power.

*Once in CWM Recovery, navigate the menu by using the volume buttons and select with the power button.

*Select "backup and restore" and then select "backup".
    Now CWM Recovery is backing up your current stock rom, it will take a few minutes, be patient.:)

*After back-up and while still in CWM recovery...

*Select "Install zip from sdcard", choose the superuser.zip, select "YES" and let it install, you may need to flash it about three times if you get errors. Even with the error, sometimes it still works.

(follow the custom rom developers instructions for install of that custom rom!!!!).

*Reboot your phone and check for the superuser app in your app drawer.

*Now you are rooted with CWM Recovery installed!

Have fun!!
    A one-click, no-Odin method will be posted later. :)
    I've seen with many other devices that having CWM and root sometimes affects the upgrade process, so I was wondering will this mod have to be removed before the phone is upgraded to ICS by samsung?

Probably yes.., so is there a simple no-flashcountertripping way of removing root and CWM?

When an upgrade to ICS comes from Samsung, it will most likely be rooted and posted in this forum within hours of the release. Un-rooting would be unnecessary .
    If you flashed CWM recovery using my method, you should have a back up of your stock unrooted rom. You can restore this backup and use Odin to flash the stock recovery. This will put you back at the factory state without tripping the flash counter.
    ya i couldnt find it but i found an alternative method. There is a Skyrocket Easy Root one click method. Once rooted you can download Rom Manager and install recovery through rom manager. Although the skyrocket is not llisted in rom manager for recovery you can select the t mobile galaxy s2 and the recovery will work aand install successfully
    Did anyone else have the MD5 hash not match? made me a little leery.

UPDATE:
    Oops, didnt see how many people already mentioned it.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

Following the steps, it's been a breeze so far but...
    I cant boot into recovery, (step 5)

" *Power off phone, unplug USB, Hold Both Vol up + Vol down and Hit power"

when I try this I just get a continual vibrating black screen. any help please.

---------- Post added 27th November 2011 at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was 26th November 2011 at 11:59 PM ----------

OK i found it, after you flash with Odin and you need to boot into recovery (Step 5) here is the correct procedure..

Hold all 3 buttons until you see the first splash screen come up.... then let go of the power button but keep holding the vol+/- buttons until CWM comes up.

now you can follow the rest of the steps.