[Q] how to update a romslot ?

Search This thread

sn123py

Jul 5, 2009
Hi,

i'm on 13.3.2.4, rooted with towelroot and with safestrap. I cloned the primary rom to rom-slot one and installed playstore and so on.

so, how do i update the romslot to 13.3.2.5?

Updating the main rom is easy - download the image, put it on sd-card root, and update.Root the rom again, install safestrap, everything fine.

But how do i update the image in rom-slot 1?

when i copy the file to sd-card root after booted romslot1 the device-update cannot see the image and ota is disabled.

?!?

regards,
macfly

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
umm

Maybe it's because if you understood anything about what you were doing to your device you would understand the question doesn't really make sense. Safe strap does not flash kernel your operating system depends on your kernel you cannot update the slot to a newer version , unless course you wanted to try but it probably would not work ( possible )but all you have to do is rename file from .bin to .zip and flash.... Only attempt on a slot

sn123py

Jul 5, 2009
Thanks for your answer.

flashing the .bin as a .zip does not work on a rom-slot.

my question was more targeted on how to handle a customized kindle hdx in daily use and how to honor updates from amazon.

would you simply ignore updates from amazon and stick on "old" Versions, because its complicated to keep a rom-slot current?

or, if not, how to keep a rom-slot current? update the stock rom slot, backup the new system and restore the new system to the "daily-use" rom slot?

regards,
macfly.

Maybe it's because if you understood anything about what you were doing to your device you would understand the question doesn't really make sense. Safe strap does not flash kernel your operating system depends on your kernel you cannot update the slot to a newer version , unless course you wanted to try but it probably would not work ( possible )but all you have to do is rename file from .bin to .zip and flash.... Only attempt on a slot

sn123py

Jul 5, 2009
update:

i got the slot 1 updated to 13.3.2.5 with the following steps:

- backup stock slot (system only)
- restore the backup to slot 1

right now, google play store is not working any more, but thats a different problem.

thanks for pushing me to the right direction,
macfly

Thanks for your answer.

my question was more targeted on how to handle a customized kindle hdx in daily use and how to honor updates from amazon.

would you simply ignore updates from amazon and stick on "old" Versions, because its complicated to keep a rom-slot current?

or, if not, how to keep a rom-slot current? update the stock rom slot, backup the new system and restore the new system to the "daily-use" rom slot?

regards,
macfly.

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
well

Thanks for your answer.

regards,
macfly.
Technically yes but sense safestrap is no longer supported good luck getting it to work on future updates.