[BUILD] [GingerBread] CM7 from Neopeek!! **Dev Preview** ClockworkMod!

Search This thread

arrrghhh

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2007
Hey all,

Wanted to post CM7 here for everyone to enjoy.

Neopeek has been working hard to get this build up and running, he's been doing great work!

Neopeek's Original Post - if you wish to see Neopeek's original post about the CM7 topic.

Also, since now I am using his new ClockWordMod method - CWM Recovery thread

As is stated in the title, this is mainly for devs/testers. Lots of things are broken, and there will be frequent updates.

There are two methods to using this build:

1) ClockWorkMod (requires 3 separate ext2 partitions)

2) Loop'd system.ext2 image (like XDAndroid) [In progress]

The benefit of #1 is a dedicated system/data partition, and *partial* USB mass storage support.

The benefit of #2 is, it's easier :p.

I still have to work to get #2 up, but I wanted to post #1 ASAP. Lots of work to flesh out the post to, be patient!

I've been holding off on releasing this CWM version of CM7, because I'm still having a lot of bugs with it. Still needs quite a bit of work, but it's getting late for me tonight - I am going to release it, let me know if you guys make improvements, I'd love to incorporate them!

Main issues seem to be related to my durn CDMA device. Need to break into some logs to see what's goin on, it may be a little while! I think GSM folk will be fine. Let me know!

Downloads

Download #1

How-to
Method #1 (ClockWorkMod)

****WARNING****

If you setup dedicated partitions using this method, normal XDAndroid builds will think that you want to use dedicated partitions. I had to modify the init to get it to work correctly (I basically broke the partition detection in the init). It's not pretty, but I don't know of a better way to resolve that issue - let me know what ideas you guys have!

Setup:
You will need to create three (3) ext2 partitions on your SD card. This is not extremely simple, but by no means impossible :p.

If you're using Windows, I like the Mini Partition Tool. If you're in Linux, I usually use gparted.

This takes a little bit of planning - but in total, I would say you need a minimum of 450mb of space for all three ext2 partitions. So work out how much free space is left (if you want a bigger data partiton, or system partition account for it!) and make that the first partition - FAT32. Make sure all the partitions are "primary", not "logical"! See the partition layout below:

1 - FAT32 Primary (remainder of card)
2 - ext2 Primary (at least 150mb, system partition)
3 - ext2 Primary (at least 250mb, data partition - I wouldn't go over 1gb here)
4 - ext2 Primary (at least 50mb, cache partition)

Don't worry about putting anything in these ext2 partitions, everything is populated by Android and CWM. The FAT32 partition is used to kick off Android, while system, data and cache are all ext2 partitions. Reason for this is, hopefully if things go haywire we can blast out cache, not data ;). Also, it should be easier to update using this method than previously.

• Extract the file. Look at the folder it created (npkboot). Copy the entire npkboot folder to the root of your SD (for now this is required - the init assumes there's a /sdcard/npkboot/tmp folder). There will also be an update.zip, in this case update-cm-7.0.0-neopeek.zip. Put this at the root of your SD card (this makes finding it in the menu much easier!)
  • Copy the appropriate startup.txt from the STARTUPS folder.
  • Find haret.exe in th npkboot folder. Run it, and watch the boot process carefully! It will ask you to hold the vol down button to enter recovery, and you have 10 seconds to do so.
  • Assuming you manage to do this correctly (I had some trouble at first :p) you should see an icon like a hat. Wait for the menu.
  • Buttons:
    End key - back (back button seems to do this as well...)
    Send key - enter
    Vol up - up
    Vol down - down (menu button seems to do this as well...)
  • If this is the first install, go to "install zip from sdcard". Then "choose zip from sdcard" This will install the system image to the system partition from the update.zip.
  • If you need to wipe the data partition, you can do that under "mounts and storage". You shouldn't need to do this unless you're going from gb -> froyo or visa-versa. Froyo -> froyo should 'just work', as always YMMV.
  • There are A LOT of options in replimenu. The only ones I have used are install, format /data, /system or /cache and Reboot. According to Neopeek, there are several things that should not be used:
    Neopeek said:
    * Don't use "factory wipe" in CWM (you have been warned :D )
    * Don't use "format sdcard" unless you know what you do (you have been warned :D )
    * Don't use "partition sdcard" unless you know what you do (you have been warned :D )
  • Once you've installed Android, go back to the main menu and "reboot system now" There are some bugs, for example "reboot recovery" and "power off" all just reboot the phone to WinMo.
  • Boot haret again, but this time don't hold the vol down to enter recovery - boot as normal!

#2: Much simpler method, similar to XDAndroid builds.

• Extract the file to your desktop. Go into the CM7 folder, look for the STARTUPS folder - grab the appropriate startup.txt, move it to where haret.exe is.
  • Copy everything in the CM7 folder to the root of your SD card - if you want to run it from a folder, create a rel_path=CM7 statement in your startup.txt after the set cmdline (if you want a different folder, change the CM7.)
  • Grab the ts-calibration file attached to this post (for RHOD), or go to this post for a list of ts-calib's. You can also create your own on boot, but may have to revert to an older kernel to do so.
  • Run haret.exe!

Last edited:

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
****Not Working****​

CDMA seems broken - still! I did some testing with hyc's RIL and it's still busted, so there's something in the system image messing with it - Airplane mode was checked, and I could not uncheck it.

In addition, phone.apk seems like a forceclosefest. Neopeek did point this out in his original thread...

Mobile data - broken (Fixed soon)

Wifi - broken (Fixed soon)

System needs optimization for RHOD - was originally build with DIAM in mind - so it's a little slow.

Failed wakes seem pretty bad - sometimes it is quite difficult to wake the phone.

Boot animation seems to be not present - I'm looking into fixing it, probably graphics libs if anything that's broke it.

Last edited:

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Dev Content

This new method should be great for anyone who wants to make their own updates - you can easily peek into the system image and make changes at will, then just install the new system image! You can even rolll updates instead of an entire system image if you wish.

The script language in ClockWorkMod is called "Edify", see this thread to learn about the syntax. This is related to the META-INF folder you see in the update zip.

There's a few differences in the rootfs', the main being the init. There's also some additional files it looks like neopeek added for Recovery specifically.

Last edited:

Ltilt2

Sep 1, 2010
Los Angeles
PM message

Arrrgh,

Disregard the PM I sent you.

I read the instruction and like you said, its not simple. So I will wait until you upload the easy to run load.

Thanks

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Arrrgh,

I read the instruction and like you said, its not simple. So I will wait until you upload the easy to run load.

Thanks

Sorry, I need access to a Linux box to do the 'easy' build... I will when I get home tonight from work, promise ;).

Is there a reason for the 600mb upper limit? If I use 1 gb, will it cause problems or will it not use it and just waste card space?

You can make it as big as you want I guess... I'm not sure how neopeek sets up the data partition to be honest, I'd have to ask him.

Edit - in lieu of the post below, I adjusted the first post to say it needs to be at least 400mb ;).

Last edited:

helicopter88

Jul 28, 2009
Is there a reason for the 600mb upper limit? If I use 1 gb, will it cause problems or will it not use it and just waste card space?
I have 700 mb and is working well,you can use as much as you want

Arrrgh,

Thanks

Is easy just use mini tool partition wizard,delete the main partition on the sd-card
and do two,one fat32 primary and one ext2 primary,then extract the archive and put the proper startups in npkinstall and in root
from the phone run install.exe
and after the reboot use haret.exe

pdawg17

Apr 3, 2008
I wonder if CDMA data is working with this...that is my biggest issue with GB right now...

Ltilt2

Sep 1, 2010
Los Angeles

Is easy just use mini tool partition wizard,delete the main partition on the sd-card
and do two,one fat32 primary and one ext2 primary,then extract the archive and put the proper startups in npkinstall and in root

yeah easy for you to say, that sounds complicated.

I will wait for the other one.

Do you know the ETA?

Tippfehler

Oct 29, 2008
Bavaria/Germany
i have
- downloaded the file cm7new.tar.gz
- made primary fat32 and ext2 partitions
- extracted the file cm7new.tar.gz to the root of the fat32 partition
- got a lot of linux folders

but i am missing
- npkinstall folder
- startup.txt
- install.exe
- haret.exe
- startup folder

Where are these files?

Last edited:

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
i have

but i am missing
- npkinstall folder
- startup.txt
- install.exe
- haret.exe
- startup folder

Where are these files?

Still need to upload, sorry!

Ltilt2

Sep 1, 2010
Los Angeles
i have

but i am missing
- npkinstall folder
- startup.txt
- install.exe
- haret.exe
- startup folder

Where are these files?

I was looking at that too when extracted the files and didn't see what you are also missing.

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Sorry about the confusion guys, I probably shouldn't have put the download link up before I was done :p.

I just fixed it, so #1 is good to go! I'll get #2 up later, thanks.

Reactions: vinceweis

fishingmedic

Apr 6, 2009
CT
Another noob question, but the rootfs, kernels, oc, etc from the xdandroid builds will work the same on these?

arrrghhh

Feb 10, 2007
Another noob question, but the rootfs, kernels, oc, etc from the xdandroid builds will work the same on these?

The rootfs is more or less collapsed in these.

Kernels are straight from XDAndroid repo.

OC is the same, startup.txt is fairly similar ;).

it's necessary create a swap partition?

What works in this build?

Swap is not necessary.

Most things that work in XDAndroid work in here. Lots of other things are broken here tho :p.

Reactions: fishingmedic

kruijs

Aug 10, 2008
Okay, downloaded and installed without problems.

First impressions:
Absolutely great build in terms of response!
No delays in menus, etc.

Also, this looks like the first build that may have little or no clock delay, so no need for clocksync !!! (to be confirmed since I did not use it very long, die to issues below)

However...

1) No WIFI
2) No Mobile data (2G/3G)
3) camera not working (could be just blackstone)
- maybe other issues, decided to wait for more feedback before continuing, without market access there's little point...

Device: Blackstone
Kernel: extensive testing with provided one (1276), later switched to 1277, to fix audiostuttering, no wifi or mobile data in either...
As a reference, used many NeoPeek / XDAndroid builds, generally got WIFI/Mobile data working until now...

Love to hear if someone else (blackstone?) got WIFI/2G/3G working...
Oh, well, as I understood, this was an early "developer" release, still plenty of room for improvements!

Cheers,
Robbert

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all,

Wanted to post CM7 here for everyone to enjoy.

Neopeek has been working hard to get this build up and running, he's been doing great work!

Neopeek's Original Post - if you wish to see Neopeek's original post about the CM7 topic.

Also, since now I am using his new ClockWordMod method - CWM Recovery thread

As is stated in the title, this is mainly for devs/testers. Lots of things are broken, and there will be frequent updates.

There are two methods to using this build:

1) ClockWorkMod (requires 3 separate ext2 partitions)

2) Loop'd system.ext2 image (like XDAndroid) [In progress]

The benefit of #1 is a dedicated system/data partition, and *partial* USB mass storage support.

The benefit of #2 is, it's easier :p.

I still have to work to get #2 up, but I wanted to post #1 ASAP. Lots of work to flesh out the post to, be patient!

I've been holding off on releasing this CWM version of CM7, because I'm still having a lot of bugs with it. Still needs quite a bit of work, but it's getting late for me tonight - I am going to release it, let me know if you guys make improvements, I'd love to incorporate them!

Main issues seem to be related to my durn CDMA device. Need to break into some logs to see what's goin on, it may be a little while! I think GSM folk will be fine. Let me know!

Downloads

Download #1

How-to
    Method #1 (ClockWorkMod)

****WARNING****

If you setup dedicated partitions using this method, normal XDAndroid builds will think that you want to use dedicated partitions. I had to modify the init to get it to work correctly (I basically broke the partition detection in the init). It's not pretty, but I don't know of a better way to resolve that issue - let me know what ideas you guys have!

Setup:
    You will need to create three (3) ext2 partitions on your SD card. This is not extremely simple, but by no means impossible :p.

If you're using Windows, I like the Mini Partition Tool. If you're in Linux, I usually use gparted.

This takes a little bit of planning - but in total, I would say you need a minimum of 450mb of space for all three ext2 partitions. So work out how much free space is left (if you want a bigger data partiton, or system partition account for it!) and make that the first partition - FAT32. Make sure all the partitions are "primary", not "logical"! See the partition layout below:

1 - FAT32 Primary (remainder of card)
    2 - ext2 Primary (at least 150mb, system partition)
    3 - ext2 Primary (at least 250mb, data partition - I wouldn't go over 1gb here)
    4 - ext2 Primary (at least 50mb, cache partition)

Don't worry about putting anything in these ext2 partitions, everything is populated by Android and CWM. The FAT32 partition is used to kick off Android, while system, data and cache are all ext2 partitions. Reason for this is, hopefully if things go haywire we can blast out cache, not data ;). Also, it should be easier to update using this method than previously.

• Extract the file. Look at the folder it created (npkboot). Copy the entire npkboot folder to the root of your SD (for now this is required - the init assumes there's a /sdcard/npkboot/tmp folder). There will also be an update.zip, in this case update-cm-7.0.0-neopeek.zip. Put this at the root of your SD card (this makes finding it in the menu much easier!)
    • Copy the appropriate startup.txt from the STARTUPS folder.
    • Find haret.exe in th npkboot folder. Run it, and watch the boot process carefully! It will ask you to hold the vol down button to enter recovery, and you have 10 seconds to do so.
    • Assuming you manage to do this correctly (I had some trouble at first :p) you should see an icon like a hat. Wait for the menu.
    • Buttons:
      End key - back (back button seems to do this as well...)
      Send key - enter
      Vol up - up
      Vol down - down (menu button seems to do this as well...)
    • If this is the first install, go to "install zip from sdcard". Then "choose zip from sdcard" This will install the system image to the system partition from the update.zip.
    • If you need to wipe the data partition, you can do that under "mounts and storage". You shouldn't need to do this unless you're going from gb -> froyo or visa-versa. Froyo -> froyo should 'just work', as always YMMV.
    • There are A LOT of options in replimenu. The only ones I have used are install, format /data, /system or /cache and Reboot. According to Neopeek, there are several things that should not be used:
      Neopeek said:
      * Don't use "factory wipe" in CWM (you have been warned :D )
      * Don't use "format sdcard" unless you know what you do (you have been warned :D )
      * Don't use "partition sdcard" unless you know what you do (you have been warned :D )
    • Once you've installed Android, go back to the main menu and "reboot system now" There are some bugs, for example "reboot recovery" and "power off" all just reboot the phone to WinMo.
    • Boot haret again, but this time don't hold the vol down to enter recovery - boot as normal!

#2: Much simpler method, similar to XDAndroid builds.

• Extract the file to your desktop. Go into the CM7 folder, look for the STARTUPS folder - grab the appropriate startup.txt, move it to where haret.exe is.
    • Copy everything in the CM7 folder to the root of your SD card - if you want to run it from a folder, create a rel_path=CM7 statement in your startup.txt after the set cmdline (if you want a different folder, change the CM7.)
    • Grab the ts-calibration file attached to this post (for RHOD), or go to this post for a list of ts-calib's. You can also create your own on boot, but may have to revert to an older kernel to do so.
    • Run haret.exe!
    1) No WIFI
    2) No Mobile data (2G/3G)
    3) camera not working (could be just blackstone)
    - maybe other issues, decided to wait for more feedback before continuing, without market access there's little point...
    1)Known and being fixed
    2)Known and being fixed
    3)Will be fixed after we have something stable
    Thanks for reporting
    Arrrgh,

Thanks

Sorry, I need access to a Linux box to do the 'easy' build... I will when I get home tonight from work, promise ;).

You can make it as big as you want I guess... I'm not sure how neopeek sets up the data partition to be honest, I'd have to ask him.

Edit - in lieu of the post below, I adjusted the first post to say it needs to be at least 400mb ;).

Arrrgh,

Thanks

Sorry about the confusion guys, I probably shouldn't have put the download link up before I was done :p.

I just fixed it, so #1 is good to go! I'll get #2 up later, thanks.