[DEV] Camera driver for 3.x kernel with ION support

Search This thread

_Dorregaray_

Sep 21, 2012
Katowice
tomasz.rostanski.pl
I'm creating this thread to let you know about the progress of getting the camera to work on 3.x kernel.
I'm using 3.4 kernel but the changes should be easily applicable for 3.0 kernel as well.

The goal is to have a functional camera driver using ION memory allocator. Unfortunately the Qualcomm's proprietary libs we have for Touchpad relies on now deprecated PMEM allocator.

What is working:
- preview,
- taking pictures,

What is not working:
- panorama,
- video recording,
- skype.

Sources:
https://github.com/Dorregaray/android_kernel_hp_tenderloin/tree/kitkat-cam
https://github.com/Dorregaray/camerahal/tree/cm-11-ion

Last edited:

puhleez

Jan 3, 2011
Middle TN
As a Rezound owner, I follow the xda community for it and they came up with a hybrid situation where they were still able to use the pmem blobs/drivers for the camera while running under an ion based 3.0 kernel. Worked really well. Something to consider for the short term?

Sent from my TouchPad using xda app-developers app

_Dorregaray_

Sep 21, 2012
Katowice
tomasz.rostanski.pl
As a Rezound owner, I follow the xda community for it and they came up with a hybrid situation where they were still able to use the pmem blobs/drivers for the camera while running under an ion based 3.0 kernel. Worked really well. Something to consider for the short term?

Sent from my TouchPad using xda app-developers app

I have such configuration right now, but after I'll fix some issues I have I want to get rid of pmem and get it working fully using ION if possible. That will require replacing some proprietary Qualcomm libs with the ones supporting ION.

_Dorregaray_

Sep 21, 2012
Katowice
tomasz.rostanski.pl
Just want to be clear. If you get this working, it should work on any 3.xx kernel including J.C. Sullins CM10.1 experimental 3KERN build?

If I will get it working it shouldn't be hard to apply the changes to the 3.0 jcsullins kernel.
In fact the reason I'm working on 3.4 kernel is that the flintman has released a kitkat no data/media build with this kernel.

Last edited:

nevertells2

Dec 22, 2011
Sunny Central Florida!!!
If I will get it working it shouldn't be hard to apply the changes to the 3.0 jcsullins kernel.
In fact the reason I'm working on 3.4 kernel is that the flintman has released a kitkat no data/media build with this kernel.

That's interesting. I thought I read that he was switching over to data/media. Where did you see that he is not doing data/media?

I found this that he posted Jan.7th:

"I have moved the development to a new forum as i have changed over to data/media and don't want confusion on what is what. Posted a new update remember requireds data/media now."

Reactions: tpmusicplayer

flintman

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 25, 2011
MASS
That's interesting. I thought I read that he was switching over to data/media. Where did you see that he is not doing data/media?

"I have moved the development to a new forum as i have changed over to data/media and don't want confusion on what is what. Posted a new update remember requireds data/media now."

That is true in order to fix the Play store issue i was having.

Reactions: Lyok0ne

_Dorregaray_

Sep 21, 2012
Katowice
tomasz.rostanski.pl

Yes, but I'm running his old build and just replacing the kernel and camera driver with the ones I have built. I just don't want to switch to data/media images to be able to easily switch back to the CM9 or CM10 builds not losing anything

Reactions: Lyok0ne

nevertells2

Dec 22, 2011
Sunny Central Florida!!!
Yes, but I'm running his old build and just replacing the kernel and camera driver with the ones I have built. I just don't want to switch to data/media images to be able to easily switch back to the CM9 or CM10 builds not losing anything

Smart move! I personally don't see enough benefit in data/media to endure the hassle of setting up my TP to be able to install a data/media build.
J.C. Sullins CM10.1 with the 3.xx kernel works great for me. Getting the camera and bluetooth working would be awesome!

googlephone

Jul 7, 2010
i'm proud to announce that I got taking pictures working

Dorre, congrats, you are the man..
Jcsullins got BY working with 3.0 kernel and now you made big progress on camera which means we can have fully working touchpad with the new 3.0 kernel. Thank you for your continuous work on the touchpad.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using XDA Premium App

hack4er

Oct 23, 2013
i'm proud to announce that I got taking pictures working

ohh! sir you are really doing great job

hey touchpad users you are very lucky guys for having great dev like sir tomasz

with my best regards :good:also sorry for bad english :eek:

EDİT: ı send to pm sir maybe you can look

Last edited:

k4ever

Apr 28, 2008
Smart move! I personally don't see enough benefit in data/media to endure the hassle of setting up my TP to be able to install a data/media build.
J.C. Sullins CM10.1 with the 3.xx kernel works great for me. Getting the camera and bluetooth working would be awesome!

Bluetooth already works on J.C. Sullins' latest CM10.1 3.xx build...

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

woodytrain

Dec 28, 2011
Bluetooth already works on J.C. Sullins' latest CM10.1 3.xx build...
Replying to a post two weeks old, I suspect you meant "now works", rather than "already works". And the same is true now in most the other recent tenderloin builds (including CM11.x) as jcsullins BT fixes have been merged.

So next up is camera support in kernel 3.x builds.

k4ever

Apr 28, 2008
Replying to a post two weeks old, I suspect you meant "now works", rather than "already works". And the same is true now in most the other recent tenderloin builds (including CM11.x) as jcsullins BT fixes have been merged.

So next up is camera support in kernel 3.x builds.

Oops! Did not notice the date.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts