No need for 4g hot spot anymore, and it's not ad-hoc.....I think

Search This thread

bken620

Jun 30, 2011
Currently I'm using wifi tether with an unrooted Toshiba thrive, non-ad-hoc mode. I know that someone else has already posted this on here, but I have found a way to use it without it setting itself up as ad-hoc, and I couldn't find the other post about it. I did not write this program so I take no credit for it.

0. Need to have root, and I'm currently in gingerbread
1. dl the latest beta (currently 6) of wifi tether from here http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/
2. After you have done that you need to go into "settings", go to "change device profile" go down to "LG optimus s" and select that
3. Now go down to "change LAN" and select "192.168.1.0/24"
4. Enjoy the blazing speed of 4g on something other than you revo

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, I am rooted as well as having gingerbread, so this may be another caviat to it. But try it anyway, what's the worst that can happen. And if anyone else has any other settings that may help, please share

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

mtmichaelson

Apr 5, 2009
Mt. Juliet, TN
Ya, DSpair in IRC had found this out a week or two ago, but all you have to do is select Optimus S as device and Softap under set up method. Worked perfect for my Galaxy Tab.

Sent from my VS910 4G using xda premium

Reactions: Madert

bken620

Jun 30, 2011
That's awesome, sorry if what i put up was a repost, i just hadn't seen any info on this specifically.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

Cybie257

Aug 17, 2011
Salem, OR
Unless I am not seeing it, I can't find a setting to disable 'n' mode. That mode tends to cause the connection to fluctuate from 6Mpbs to 65Mbps and basically loses connection just as the problem with the 4gHotSpot App.

Overall, great find. I tried that once before but couldn't get any of the profiles to work. Can't remember if "LG Optimus s" was on it at the time and maybe changed the network to 192.168.1.0 was the trick.

Connects and Windows will auto connect and it IS Infrastructure. Just hope I can find a way to disable 'n' mode so I can maintain a strong connection. When I went to 'g' only mode in HotSpot, I maintained a solid, no dropout connection rate. Sure, n at 65Mbps would be nice, but g works and is fast enough for tethering and what the standard tethering apps use (the 54Mbps speed)..

Thanks for the heads up and the post!

-Cybie

PS. The only part I don't like about the find is it de-motivates me to figure out the HotSpot app per my post/thread, lol. But, I can live with that! :)

EDIT: The speed I am referring to is the link speed with the Windows Task Manager/Networking tab. When the phone connects, it's 'LinkSpeed' is 65Mbps. When you access internet, or not always so, it will drop the Link Speed down to 6Mbps. If you try to use SpeedTest.Net or Speakeasy.net/speedtest, they will usually come to a halt on download testing near the end. That's the Wifi dropping out. With this and the 4gHotSpot, that will happen. But as soon as I changed the HotSpot to 'g' only connection (at 54Mbps Link Speed), it maintained and never dropped out.

Last edited:

bken620

Jun 30, 2011
I've had absolutely no problems with fluctuation of service when it comes to internet as long as i have 3g or better service.

majorpay

Jun 6, 2010
Colorado
Interesting... I finally got it to work this way. Previously I had been using the standard ad-hoc method, and when I'd switch over my Nook Color couldn't obtain an IP address.

The apparent solution(s) was to put it in SoftAp (still would not get IP address), then forget the connection (left over from ad-hoc) and reconnect.

Seems to work like a charm now.

bken620

Jun 30, 2011
I just leave it on auto, i wasn't really sure what each method was

majorpay

Jun 6, 2010
Colorado
I just leave it on auto, i wasn't really sure what each method was

That's what I was doing, and it seemed to work fine, but leaving it on auto means it's ad-hoc. I guess some people have had issues with ad-hoc, hence the need for true infrastructure, but I personally have been able to get anything I want to connect to ad-hoc. Of course, I don't own a high end tab...

Cybie257

Aug 17, 2011
Salem, OR
That's what I was doing, and it seemed to work fine, but leaving it on auto means it's ad-hoc. I guess some people have had issues with ad-hoc, hence the need for true infrastructure, but I personally have been able to get anything I want to connect to ad-hoc. Of course, I don't own a high end tab...

The one thing you can't get to connect to ad-hoc is another android device. At least none that I know of. It's an issue the Google is supposed to be working on. The other problem with ad-hoc, such as tethering Windows (mainly because Windows has the lamest networking abilities) is that it won't connect automatically. Windows will automatically sense Infrastructure and if you've selected to automatically connect, it will do so every time you switch on tethering. With ad-hoc, you don't have the auto connect ability within Windows. At least not without any 3rd party software/hacks that I'm not currently aware of.

-Cybie

bhp117

Oct 22, 2011
los angeles
I notice that the wifi tether always drop then reconnect every 30-45min connected to my laptop or desktop both win 7 64bit even when my phone screen is on but when the screen is off it'll take much longer for the tether to reconnect and sometimes it won't connect until I turn the screen back on. When the screen is off it tend to drop more frequently 15-20mins.
Are there a way to fix this?
My tether settings
Optima s - ad hoc - 192.168.1.0/24 - disable wake/lock - client approval on

I'm using wifi tether 3.1 pre100
This also happen when I was using 3.1 beta6 that's when I download and install the newer version 3.1 pre100
They just release 3.1 pre101 I'm thinking of trying that to see if that'll fix the bugs

SuperCharged GingerVolt B-) R U?

ojo8

Dec 5, 2009
Just picked up a LG Revo the other day off of craigslist and the first thing I did was install gingervolt 1.2 and android-wifi-tether 3.1 pre6. It's only been a day but so far so good. Wifi tether is working and the phone is super fast.

I'm hoping a future version of wifi tether will allow the phone to adjust wifi broadcast power and/or include bluetooth pan. 4G + wifi tether is sucking up about 20% an hour right now.

bhp117

Oct 22, 2011
los angeles
Just picked up a LG Revo the other day off of craigslist and the first thing I did was install gingervolt 1.2 and android-wifi-tether 3.1 pre6. It's only been a day but so far so good. Wifi tether is working and the phone is super fast.

I'm hoping a future version of wifi tether will allow the phone to adjust wifi broadcast power and/or include bluetooth pan. 4G + wifi tether is sucking up about 20% an hour right now.

Since my laptop and pc connect to ad-hov only I adjust the transmit power to 3mW and do notice it uses lesser power and since my phone is always close to the pc/laptop I don't need to set it to high.
This setting is only for ad-hoc " 3mW-30mW "

Last edited:

bhp117

Oct 22, 2011
los angeles
Since my laptop and pc connect to ad-hov only I adjust the transmit power to 3mW and do notice it uses lesser power and since my phone is always close to the pc/laptop I don't need to set it to high.
This setting is only for ad-hoc " 3mW-30mW "

Cybie257

Aug 17, 2011
Salem, OR
I notice that the wifi tether always drop then reconnect every 30-45min connected to my laptop or desktop both win 7 64bit even when my phone screen is on but when the screen is off it'll take much longer for the tether to reconnect and sometimes it won't connect until I turn the screen back on. When the screen is off it tend to drop more frequently 15-20mins.
Are there a way to fix this?
My tether settings
Optima s - ad hoc - 192.168.1.0/24 - disable wake/lock - client approval on

I'm using wifi tether 3.1 pre100
This also happen when I was using 3.1 beta6 that's when I download and install the newer version 3.1 pre100
They just release 3.1 pre101 I'm thinking of trying that to see if that'll fix the bugs

If you're using ad-hoc and that works fine for your needs, I would recommend Garden Tether on the market. Never had an issue with it working other than not able to connect my friends 3g android phone to mine for faster downloads.

-Cybie

ojo8

Dec 5, 2009
What's the difference between Garden tether and android-wifi-tether?

I tried both of them and besides for some art work they look identical, right down to the settings page.

bhp117

Oct 22, 2011
los angeles

I tried both of them and besides for some art work they look identical, right down to the settings page.

I was having problems w wifi tether because it kept on disconnecting so I tried the garden wifi, at first glance it do feel the same and after a day of use I haven't gotten disconnected yetso far its working good

Last edited:

bken620

Jun 30, 2011

I couldn't tell you, but my guess is that the one in the market is the non-beta version...but that's only a guess, sorry.

Cybie257

Aug 17, 2011
Salem, OR

Garden Tether is ad-hoc only. It's stable and available in the market. It's, in my opinion, the best overall reliable/working tether app out. I've never had any disconnect issues.

Aside from the Verizon 4g Hot Spot app, the wifi tether beta allows infrastructure connectivity along with ad-hoc. If you've ever tried to connect an Android device to an ad-hoc only network, it's likely it either didn't 'see' it, or couldn't connect. Other devices out there fail to connect to ad-hoc also, so infrastructure is needed.

And, look closer. These two apps don't look identical within the settings.. Close, but different. :)

-Cybie

Sent from my VS910 4G using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Currently I'm using wifi tether with an unrooted Toshiba thrive, non-ad-hoc mode. I know that someone else has already posted this on here, but I have found a way to use it without it setting itself up as ad-hoc, and I couldn't find the other post about it. I did not write this program so I take no credit for it.

0. Need to have root, and I'm currently in gingerbread
    1. dl the latest beta (currently 6) of wifi tether from here http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/
    2. After you have done that you need to go into "settings", go to "change device profile" go down to "LG optimus s" and select that
    3. Now go down to "change LAN" and select "192.168.1.0/24"
    4. Enjoy the blazing speed of 4g on something other than you revo

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, I am rooted as well as having gingerbread, so this may be another caviat to it. But try it anyway, what's the worst that can happen. And if anyone else has any other settings that may help, please share

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    Ya, DSpair in IRC had found this out a week or two ago, but all you have to do is select Optimus S as device and Softap under set up method. Worked perfect for my Galaxy Tab.

Sent from my VS910 4G using xda premium