Why is that I can't use OTA to update my Nexus 7 2013?

Search This thread

omgsy

Sep 15, 2010
I just got a message that I have an update for 4.4.4 on my nexus 7 2013 but when I updated and installed, i'm still 4.4.3.

I rooted by using Nexus Root Toolkit by WugFresh.

This happened for 4.4.3 as well from 4.4.2.

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
I just got a message that I have an update for 4.4.4 on my nexus 7 2013 but when I updated and installed, i'm still 4.4.3.

I rooted by using Nexus Root Toolkit by WugFresh.

This happened for 4.4.3 as well from 4.4.2.

What does the error say? Unexpected contents somewhere in the system? Basically, being rooted has nothing to do with whether the OTA fails or not. It usually is due to the system being modified (having Xposed Installed, system apps deleted, etc.). When it's trying to update, it will tell you why it failed.

omgsy

Sep 15, 2010
What does the error say? Unexpected contents somewhere in the system? Basically, being rooted has nothing to do with whether the OTA fails or not. It usually is due to the system being modified (having Xposed Installed, system apps deleted, etc.). When it's trying to update, it will tell you why it failed.

when it rebooted, it just took me to TWRP recovery mode screen and i just rebooted and nothing came up. Just 4.4.3 still.

I did delete system apps such as google plus and stuff like those and have Xposed installed.

Do i have to use factory images and flash it that way?
I did it that way for 4.4.3 from 4.4.2

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
when it rebooted, it just took me to TWRP recovery mode screen and i just rebooted and nothing came up. Just 4.4.3 still.

I did delete system apps such as google plus and stuff like those and have Xposed installed.

Well, even if you were stock/rooted with TWRP recovery, it would fail if you try to update the normal way within Android because it is expecting to boot into stock recovery. Since you have a custom recovery, it doesn't do anything more than boot into recovery. You could flash the OTA zip using TWRP, but it would fail as you have deleted system apps and have Xposed installed. Xposed isn't that big of a deal, as you can just uninstall it from with the Xposed Framework installer, then update, then re-install Xposed without losing any settings. Since you deleted system apps, you could reinstall them individually. HOWEVER, it looks like the easiest thing to do is to flash the factory image like you did going from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 (I assume you didn't flash userdata). Another thing to do would be to just flash the system image from the 4.4.3 factory image, then flash the OTA zip in TWRP. It's really just a matter of your preference. But any of those ways would work.

Reactions: omgsy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well, even if you were stock/rooted with TWRP recovery, it would fail if you try to update the normal way within Android because it is expecting to boot into stock recovery. Since you have a custom recovery, it doesn't do anything more than boot into recovery. You could flash the OTA zip using TWRP, but it would fail as you have deleted system apps and have Xposed installed. Xposed isn't that big of a deal, as you can just uninstall it from with the Xposed Framework installer, then update, then re-install Xposed without losing any settings. Since you deleted system apps, you could reinstall them individually. HOWEVER, it looks like the easiest thing to do is to flash the factory image like you did going from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 (I assume you didn't flash userdata). Another thing to do would be to just flash the system image from the 4.4.3 factory image, then flash the OTA zip in TWRP. It's really just a matter of your preference. But any of those ways would work.