An in car charger /lead combination that actually puts charge into the phone?

Search This thread

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
Anyone know of any? I'd like to be able to use the sat nav with at least the same amount of battery after rather than considerably less even when plugged in

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone know of any? I'd like to be able to use the sat nav with at least the same amount of battery after rather than considerably less even when plugged in

This is the one I use in my car. Make sure you have a good USB cable of course. Anker 18W Dual Port Car Charger @ $7.99.

I needed it for the same thing you do. I use navigation a lot, and stream music as well. It charges at the same rate as the stock Nexus 5 wall adapter/cable. It is still able to slowly charge the phone while using navigation/streaming.

Here is the newer updated 24W car charger for $12.99. It no longer has a dedicated Apple/Android port, but has power management/device detection. So just plug it in to either port and it should quick charge.

Reactions: Ben36

DC_Erok

May 7, 2013

I use the Owl QI Charger. I have a slightly older model, but the company is awesome. The first version the phone would still drain. Without me even saying a word, the company contacted me and sent me a new faceplate so the phone is closer the the QI unit and now the phone charges while using google maps and playing podcasts over bluetooth.

Next the phone was doing ghost touching. The company sent me out a brand new charger at no charge and the problem was resolved.

I admit the QI charges slower than pluging in directly, but the phone does indeed charge and is incredibly convenient not having to manually attach a cable.

Here is their site. .Ships form Korea.
http://www.owllus.com/

kjjjjshab

Jun 5, 2010
Just got my Anker IQ car charger... Combined with the moto cables i hit 1000ma charging.

eneka

Dec 10, 2010
Hacienda Heights
Go on ebay and search for "scosche revolt c2" I found this after looking for so many different chargers and this finally matched what a wanted, 2.1amp from each port and slim profile.

It's $9.99 from ebay and usually sells for like $20+ at besbuy/amazon

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
What about a decent cable that can handle a good 1.5 amps too?

aiiee

Mar 4, 2010
I am told the Air-Dock will meet your needs, charger and cable both. I have one on order but cannot personally confirm their claims yet as I have not received it. Check out the Air-Dock post here at xda for people who have actually used it.

kjjjjshab

Jun 5, 2010

The included micro-usb is moderately large and while it would fit in the Google "bumper" case, it would flex it quite a bit too. So if you already have problems with some cables fitting your case, that one might not be for you.

*speaking from experience with their old model, not sure about the PowerIQ version, but it looks similar.

Last edited:

dweekie

Dec 31, 2012
Just got my Anker IQ car charger... Combined with the moto cables i hit 1000ma charging.

Got one too, along with the 40w wall charger in the past. Power IQ is interesting. It seems to max out at 1000ma on the Nexus 5 even though the chargers are capable of more.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
The only problem with qi charging and sat nav together is mega heat build up. Which I don't want

kjjjjshab

Jun 5, 2010
I have some short duration data to share... with music (on device) playing and gps active (and screen on the entire time), my battery monitor recorded a drain of about -800mA. When I plugged it in to the Anker it went positive, but jumped around quite a bit: 409, 701, 611, 344, 451, 292 mA. So that got it from 77% charge to 82% in about 10 minutes. My battery temp monitor only comes on at 40^ C and it did not, so heat was not an issue.

Reactions: aiiee and Ben36

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis

I thought I was the only one with this problem. Rather bothersome especially driving from Stl to Florida even though eventually it is a straight shot down. playing music, gps, everything = no bueno

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
I thought I was the only one with this problem. Rather bothersome especially driving from Stl to Florida even though eventually it is a straight shot down. playing music, gps, everything = no bueno

I've ordered the one in the link i posted as it was only £7 gbp so for that price worth a try. I'll report when I get it :cool:

Reactions: mistahseller

Kendaihou

Jun 4, 2013
This is the one I use in my car. Make sure you have a good USB cable of course. Anker 18W Dual Port Car Charger @ $7.99.

I needed it for the same thing you do. I use navigation a lot, and stream music as well. It charges at the same rate as the stock Nexus 5 wall adapter/cable. It is still able to slowly charge the phone while using navigation/streaming.

Here is the newer updated 24W car charger for $12.99. It no longer has a dedicated Apple/Android port, but has power management/device detection. So just plug it in to either port and it should quick charge.

I was interested in getting this since I needed a really good and fast car charger but the anker 24w is more than double in price on amazon.ca. I don't think I want to drop 30 bones on a car charger.

Are there any other reliable car charger brands?

mmmmBACON

Mar 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I was interested in getting this since I needed a really good and fast car charger but the anker 24w is more than double in price on amazon.ca. I don't think I want to drop 30 bones on a car charger.

Are there any other reliable car charger brands?

Yeah I had the same problem with the 18w at the time. I don't know why they price gouge so badly... I mean really, almost every major city in Canada is basically near the border with the US, doubling the price is ridiculous.

Luckily there was a 30% coupon I could apply at the time, so the price was only a few dollars more, but still...

Kendaihou

Jun 4, 2013
Yeah I had the same problem with the 18w at the time. I don't know why they price gouge so badly... I mean really, almost every major city in Canada is basically near the border with the US, doubling the price is ridiculous.

Luckily there was a 30% coupon I could apply at the time, so the price was only a few dollars more, but still...

I can't count the number of times I have been gouged by amazon.ca. The prices are always doubled or tripled. I usually just check amazon.com first if I ever want to buy anything. I'll check local places and Canada Computers (they usually great prices) see if they have anything similar to the anker.

Ben36

Jun 8, 2012
Right the one I linked to in post #7 came today, so stuck current widget on and put it in my van - happy me -

ze8y6uzu.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have some short duration data to share... with music (on device) playing and gps active (and screen on the entire time), my battery monitor recorded a drain of about -800mA. When I plugged it in to the Anker it went positive, but jumped around quite a bit: 409, 701, 611, 344, 451, 292 mA. So that got it from 77% charge to 82% in about 10 minutes. My battery temp monitor only comes on at 40^ C and it did not, so heat was not an issue.

I use the Owl QI Charger. I have a slightly older model, but the company is awesome. The first version the phone would still drain. Without me even saying a word, the company contacted me and sent me a new faceplate so the phone is closer the the QI unit and now the phone charges while using google maps and playing podcasts over bluetooth.

Next the phone was doing ghost touching. The company sent me out a brand new charger at no charge and the problem was resolved.

I admit the QI charges slower than pluging in directly, but the phone does indeed charge and is incredibly convenient not having to manually attach a cable.

Here is their site. .Ships form Korea.
    http://www.owllus.com/

Yea, that's the built in cable, not tried the port yet but apparently that's somehow optimised for iPhone not Android charging

Thanks mate. Order placed!