Galaxy S4 constant hot rebooting. Help please!

Search This thread

RojoNinja

Dec 21, 2010
The past few days my phone has been rebooting constantly. Not a full reboot but like a hot-boot. It happens every single time I uninstall an app and more often than not when I install one. I have tried the phone in safe mode, as well as restoring back to mdk and the issue persists.

I am currently on HD15. No matter what I have done it still does this. I have also removed my sd card to see if that was it, and same thing happens. The battery isn't swollen and I really hope it isnt just hardware because I'd have to lose my mdk phone and that would suck. Any help or ideas is very appreciated. It's driving me insane.

Edit: The phone has also done it just when idling.

Last edited:

riker147

Jul 11, 2011
Hasn't happened to to anyone else?
Bummer.

This has been mentioned a lot in the Hyperdrive thread. Apparently it's a pretty common problem with MDK phones. I think I read it has something to do with the kernel. You might want to check there.

Sent from my NCC-1701 using Tapatalk 4

Oishikatta

Mar 16, 2014
The past few days my phone has been rebooting constantly. Not a full reboot but like a hot-boot. It happens every single time I uninstall an app and more often than not when I install one. I have tried the phone in safe mode, as well as restoring back to mdk and the issue persists.

I am currently on HD15. No matter what I have done it still does this. I have also removed my sd card to see if that was it, and same thing happens. The battery isn't swollen and I really hope it isnt just hardware because I'd have to lose my mdk phone and that would suck. Any help or ideas is very appreciated. It's driving me insane.

Edit: The phone has also done it just when idling.

I had it happen on my MDK S4 when using HD15, but not so often as it seems to happen for you.

I'm using the GPE rom (4.4.2) and never had any similar issues with it.

RojoNinja

Dec 21, 2010
This has been mentioned a lot in the Hyperdrive thread. Apparently it's a pretty common problem with MDK phones. I think I read it has something to do with the kernel. You might want to check there.

Sent from my NCC-1701 using Tapatalk 4

Which kernel? I've tried 3 different ones.

I also odin'd back to stock mdk and still freaking have the same issues. Though I did the no-wipe tar. I wonder if a completely clean slate would fix it. I may try tomorrow after backing everything up completely and making another nand-backup. I have no idea what else to do other than replace the battery and see if thats the issue, or replacement phone and lose my mdk one. :(

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Which kernel? I've tried 3 different ones.

I also odin'd back to stock mdk and still freaking have the same issues. Though I did the no-wipe tar. I wonder if a completely clean slate would fix it. I may try tomorrow after backing everything up completely and making another nand-backup. I have no idea what else to do other than replace the battery and see if thats the issue, or replacement phone and lose my mdk one. :(

Yea try the full wipe from here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2289325

Hopefully that helps and you don't need to get rid of your MDK phone

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

RojoNinja

Dec 21, 2010

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
So I just did this and it appears to have worked. Right now I am rerooting and trying to decide whether or not I should try restoring HD from a twrp backup or just restoring my regular apps on mdk.

Well that's good news! Hopefully that issue is no more. I've used this same Odin file a few times and it's rescued me every time. I usually always go with a full wipe.

Also I flash KToonsez Kernel with every ROM I flash, Touchwiz or Aosp and it's treated me good each time.

only mentioning that since it was said that maybe this was kernel related somehow although I'm not sure why after you flashed the no wipe Odin file it still happened. Sounds like your phone just needed a good cleaning. I'd start fresh with whatever ROM you choose to flash.

RojoNinja

Dec 21, 2010
Well that's good news! Hopefully that issue is no more. I've used this same Odin file a few times and it's rescued me every time. I usually always go with a full wipe.

Also I flash KToonsez Kernel with every ROM I flash, Touchwiz or Aosp and it's treated me good each time.

only mentioning that since it was said that maybe this was kernel related somehow although I'm not sure why after you flashed the no wipe Odin file it still happened. Sounds like your phone just needed a good cleaning. I'd start fresh with whatever ROM you choose to flash.

Hmm, yeah a clean flash would probably be best. But I will go ahead and restore user apps (and things like messages and accounts on my phone), I am fairly certain it had nothing to do with those.

Will report back with how that goes. But for now, a backup of the fresh MDK install, thanks for the help!

RojoNinja

Dec 21, 2010
Right so I stayed on MDK for now, and restored pretty much everything. I think what may have broken things is trying to restore media storage (playlists) in titanium backup. after the clean mdk image I made a twrp backup and decided to only try the setting options that titanium backup does. Well one (or more I suppose) of those broke everything and the rebooting came back. I restored from the backup again and restored those settings one at a time, but left out some of the green colored backups in tibu, and all is well. I will however wait until HD16 before messing with another rom.

Mistertac

Oct 22, 2013
Springfield, Ma
Right so I stayed on MDK for now, and restored pretty much everything. I think what may have broken things is trying to restore media storage (playlists) in titanium backup. after the clean mdk image I made a twrp backup and decided to only try the setting options that titanium backup does. Well one (or more I suppose) of those broke everything and the rebooting came back. I restored from the backup again and restored those settings one at a time, but left out some of the green colored backups in tibu, and all is well. I will however wait until HD16 before messing with another rom.

At least you know where the problem came from. I actually don't even bother saving and restoring with TiBu anymore because of issues that can sometimes pop up afterwards... I know for some though they really need to have their apps and data restored so just one of those things I guess