[APP] App Inbox 1.2 - The apps you want. When they're released.

Search This thread

Hawkee

Aug 28, 2010
Richmond
Inbox.png
Apps.png

App Inbox

App Inbox searches the Android Market and brings new apps to you. Specify the apps you want they'll appear in your inbox when they show up on the market.

Features:
- Subscribe to apps on the Android Market.
- Filter out the junk apps with our proprietary Popularity ranking system.
- Know when there are new apps you've never seen before.
- Fully customizable Subscription system.

Version 1.2 Changes
New name, changed from "Hawkee App Delivery" to "App Inbox"
New logo
Slight layout tweaks
Fixed back button when loading
Added latest categories

Version 1.15 Changes
Please uninstall your previous copy if you are upgrading.
New categories:
- Education
- Personalization
- Business
- Weather
- Medical
- Photography
Improved search now supports:
-negative keywords
"exact match" keywords
pub:Google (publisher search)

Version 1.05 Changes
- New Language filters:
- French apps
- German apps
- Japanese apps
- Adjusted timeout intervals
- Back button also saves Subscription changes
- New app tallies update automatically when app is reopened after 1hr

chart

Direct Link:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.hawkee.app.inbox

By Hawkee.com

Hawkee is a social network focusing on technology, development and reviews.
Established in 1997 Hawkee has a solid 14-year track record and continues to grow and innovate.
http://www.hawkee.com

Last edited:

Hawkee

Aug 28, 2010
Richmond
I just made some minor adjustments including adding a few new language filters. Currently here is the breakdown of languages:

English: 130,886 apps
Chinese: 2,099 apps
Japanese: 1,433 apps
Korean: 1,249 apps
French: 808 apps
Spanish: 800 apps
German: 708 apps

The language is determined by running a language detection API against the app descriptions and titles. As far as I know this is the only app that lets you subscribe to apps by language.

- Scott

AbdulR

Dec 18, 2010
Fredericksburg
market help

After uninstalling this App i'm having major problems with my regular Market. All the new apps are gone. Not a single app that i recognize. All the Apps seem to be extremely outdated and are "test" apps. Anyone know whats going on here and possible fixes?

Using a Rooted Tmobile Galaxy Tab

ibepressin

Mar 7, 2010
After uninstalling this App i'm having major problems with my regular Market. All the new apps are gone. Not a single app that i recognize. All the Apps seem to be extremely outdated and are "test" apps. Anyone know whats going on here and possible fixes?

Settings-applications-manage-market-clear data. Should bring em all back.

Hawkee

Aug 28, 2010
Richmond

This is strange. The app doesn't touch any settings pertaining to the actual market app. It's completely self contained and accesses data only on the Hawkee severs.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

dsMA

Jun 4, 2010
Sacramento
confused on how to use this app?

I need some help understanding what this is, what it does, and how to use it.
Is it a second marketplace that is intended to replace the google marketplace?
If yes then I take it to mean that this app's intended use to to search, download, install, and maintain the apps on your phone?
Is this app intended to be used in conjunction with the google marketplace?
If yes then in what ways: searching, sorting, etc?

Is information shared between this app and the google marketplace? For exmaple if you can download apps from this app then do the downloaded apps also show up as being downloaded in the google marketplace?

The above are some of the questions I was thinking but if when replying you can think of other useful advice and info you want to share in how to use the app that would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Hawkee

Aug 28, 2010
Richmond
I am confused as to how to use this app. Do I use this app instead of the marketplace to search and install apps? Do I install all my apps then install this app and it will learn the kinds of apps I like by scanning my download list from the marketplace?

Yes this can replace the market in terms of finding new apps. The point of this is to find good, new apps and closely monitor the market. It provides more advanced filters to find specifically what you want. It doesn't scan your apps and offer suggestions. That isn't the goal of this app.

Hawkee

Aug 28, 2010
Richmond
Is information shared between this app and the google marketplace? For exmaple if you can download apps from this app then do the downloaded apps also show up as being downloaded in the google marketplace?

Sorry, I missed the update to your post. The app actually sends you to the market when you choose an app, so yes the downloads count. This app only replaces the searching and browsing process. No data is shared between the two apps.

Reactions: dsMA

Hawkee

Aug 28, 2010
Richmond
I just fixed a bug with the price drops not being detected properly. This was a server side fix so no need to update the app.

Sent from my Incredible

Hawkee

Aug 28, 2010
Richmond
I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the name of this app. It's a different concept so I had a hard time coming up with a descriptive name. Some other ideas I had were Hawkee App Subscribe, Hawkee Market Subscribe, Hawkee App Monitor, or Hawkee Market Monitor.

Sent from my Incredible

Insomaniac10

Apr 21, 2010
Boston
Once i installed this app i cannot access the "downloads" section in my regular market. it either says theres no connection, or it force closes. Ive tried uninstalling Hawkee, wiping market data, uninstalling/reinstalling regular market, rebooting.....nothing is fixing this problem, which is obviously a major one

Hawkee

Aug 28, 2010
Richmond
Once i installed this app i cannot access the "downloads" section in my regular market. it either says theres no connection, or it force closes. Ive tried uninstalling Hawkee, wiping market data, uninstalling/reinstalling regular market, rebooting.....nothing is fixing this problem, which is obviously a major one

This seems to be unrelated. Did you recently upgrade your market app? This app doesn't have any connection with the market app. It only sends you there when you pick an app.

Sent from my Incredible

Insomaniac10

Apr 21, 2010
Boston
Nope my last market update was last week. i was browsing my downloads earlier today to check for application updates which i normally do.

i understand that you want to preserve the reputation of your app, and i can respect that. however it seems like a distinct possibility that this app caused this problem. earlier in this thread another poster claimed that this app had an effect on his market, as well.

this is not a personal attack, and there obviously is a chance that both of these incidences are coincidence. but it doesnt sound like it. you may want to look into it, since this app is now public on the forum, youd definitely rather have 2 complaints than several. just a little advice, it doesnt hurt to check, rather than simply sweeping it under the rug.

all i know and can say, aside from i love the idea of your app, ever since installing my market has been malfunctioning, even after a system install/uninstall.

Hawkee

Aug 28, 2010
Richmond
TopShelf, Thanks for the response. I'm sorry to sound like I was so easily dismissing your problem, but I'm on my laptop now and can look into this more thoroughly. I researched the issue you described and came up with this thread:

http://www.google.fm/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=5f475fcdfcc22233&hl=en

The conclusion seems to be that it's a problem on Google's end. People were pointing out a few apps that, when uninstalled, fixed the problem temporarily. But it seems there is no permanent fix yet. Some people suggested installing AppBrain in order to update your apps, but that's certainly not a long term solution.

- Scott

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Inbox.png
    Apps.png

App Inbox

App Inbox searches the Android Market and brings new apps to you. Specify the apps you want they'll appear in your inbox when they show up on the market.

Features:
    - Subscribe to apps on the Android Market.
    - Filter out the junk apps with our proprietary Popularity ranking system.
    - Know when there are new apps you've never seen before.
    - Fully customizable Subscription system.

Version 1.2 Changes
    New name, changed from "Hawkee App Delivery" to "App Inbox"
    New logo
    Slight layout tweaks
    Fixed back button when loading
    Added latest categories

Version 1.15 Changes
    Please uninstall your previous copy if you are upgrading.
    New categories:
    - Education
    - Personalization
    - Business
    - Weather
    - Medical
    - Photography
    Improved search now supports:
    -negative keywords
    "exact match" keywords
    pub:Google (publisher search)

Version 1.05 Changes
    - New Language filters:
    - French apps
    - German apps
    - Japanese apps
    - Adjusted timeout intervals
    - Back button also saves Subscription changes
    - New app tallies update automatically when app is reopened after 1hr

chart

Direct Link:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.hawkee.app.inbox

By Hawkee.com

Hawkee is a social network focusing on technology, development and reviews.
    Established in 1997 Hawkee has a solid 14-year track record and continues to grow and innovate.
    http://www.hawkee.com

Sorry, I missed the update to your post. The app actually sends you to the market when you choose an app, so yes the downloads count. This app only replaces the searching and browsing process. No data is shared between the two apps.

[Q] keywords

I understand that the keyword section allows you to further refine the sorting capabilities. Do you allow for an exclusion character to exclude apps with certain words in the title or description?

ex. Let say that I want to find launcher apps but don't want to find any wallpapers. Could I do something like: launcher, home replacement, home, !wallpapers
    Hi Hawkee,

First and foremost, I'm really seeing great potential for this app and particularly its' usefulness! Good job, keep it up!

As to thoughts on the product name, I'm of 2 minds on the matter.
    1. Keep it simply Hawkee and within the description of the app put the details, including 'Market Monitor[ing]'. The word "Hawkee" is fairly distinct, so there's no need to water it down by adding suffixes. :)
      or...
    2. How about Hawkee: Android Market Monitor...HAMM for short! :D I'm actually serious, a catchy acronym is good to have for your product...Keeps it in people's mind.

Questions:
    1. Can you give a little more insight into how your "popularity" ranking works? I'm trying to get a sense of how it's filtering apps
    2. How is the input from 'Keywords' used? Case SeNsitiVe? recognizes AND/OR? Literal terms in quotes (ie "Air Control")? so on.

Requests:
    - Specific App monitoring, with alerts (like watching for a price drop on Documents To Go).
    - Add Notifications/Alerts based on criteria met or general change (like a price drop)
    - Wildcard and Regex capability
    - Exclusion capability
    - Specific app historicals (price history, download count change, new comments, etc...)
    - Add better error explanations please. Example; last night I installed a firewall and inadvertently didn't allow Hawkee. Whenever I tried to run a search, Hawkee just kept reporting that it couldn't deliver info... My initial thought was "what the hell is wrong with this app, I'm going to get rid of it", but luckily I remembered the firewall...Had the error initially said something more along the lines of "Unable to retrieve market info: Network not available", then my initial thoughts would've been put in their proper places (like "what the hell is wrong with my 3G now!" or "Did my damned WiFi connection crap itself again!?")
    Also, on a side note you can test your more complicated queries at our website to quickly refine without going through the slower process of testing queries through your phone:

http://www.hawkee.com/android/apps/