Galaxy Nexus Extended Battery on Skyrocket?

Search This thread

discothan

Feb 15, 2011
Still on sale. It barely fits in the standard OEM charger from Samsung. The door doessn't shut on the charger all the way.

I haven't tried the Skyrocket yet, but it will be a close fit also.

edit..

ok the Galaxy Nexus extended battery fits super snug in the Skyrocket. You can work the flexible back cover to snap fit real well.
PERFECT solution for extended battery! +++++recommendation.

Now to find out how long it lasts. I am using JuiceDefender Ultimate - customized settings

Last edited:

MastaFlash

Feb 28, 2012
La$ Vega$
The cover or the top corner of the battery? There's not a whole lot of material on the cover so it won't do a whole lot for you, how much did you get to sand???

:confused:

I put the battery in and pressed down to see where it was touching. I didn't want to hack up the battery (In case I had to return it) but I did shave a little off / sanded the top left corner. Like a Glove!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1335733192879.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335733192879.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 449
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335733223589.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335733223589.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 423
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335733238106.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335733238106.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 405
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335733252592.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335733252592.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 415
The back cover is flexible enough to stretch over and snap right in.

AGAIN....

For some people, that works just fine. For others, modification is required! I am on my third Skyrocket (switched from black to white, first white one had a dead camera out of the box), and they ALL have been tight fits against the extended battery! This is NOT a generalized statement you can make for all Skyrocket owners.

I put the battery in and pressed down to see where it was touching. I didn't want to hack up the battery (In case I had to return it) but I did shave a little off / sanded the top left corner. Like a Glove!

That's pretty interesting. 2-3mm is about the right amount of gap that I had with my battery as the user above reported, but sanding down the inside cover would have never worked for me to get 2-3mm worth of extra room! You probably took down 1mm max with all that sanding, meaning you had much less of a gap to work with then.... Good going!

MastaFlash

Feb 28, 2012
La$ Vega$
AGAIN....

For some people, that works just fine. For others, modification is required! I am on my third Skyrocket (switched from black to white, first white one had a dead camera out of the box), and they ALL have been tight fits against the extended battery! This is NOT a generalized statement you can make for all Skyrocket owners.

That's pretty interesting. 2-3mm is about the right amount of gap that I had with my battery as the user above reported, but sanding down the inside cover would have never worked for me to get 2-3mm worth of extra room! You probably took down 1mm max with all that sanding, meaning you had much less of a gap to work with then.... Good going!

Sanded the Inside cover and top left side of the battery. I'd say at least 2mm was shaved down. It was worst before. I should've taken a pic of how bad the buldge was before I sanded

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA

xlazaruzx

Nov 10, 2011
New Haven
I bought two of these for myself and my girlfriend's Skyrocket. On mine it fit perfectly with no problem. My girlfriend has the white Skyrocket and at first the cover won't stay close on the right side, then I barely folded the back cover right on the center and it fit perfectly.

teeg07

Oct 20, 2011
Akron
Got the nexus extended battery in the mail today from amazon ($20!) and put it in my phone. Took a bit of sanding my battery cover (and maybe a little of my battery... maybe;) ) and i got it to fit. Its tight, but I like it like that. ;)

the best way i found to get it to stay snapped is to do the top and bottom, then the left side, and while holding the left side down with your left hand, snap the right side in.

Now hopefully we see some battery improvements...

*the reason i worked so hard to get it to stay shut without a case is that i run naked. All i have is a screen protector, and I wanna keep it that way! IMO cases ruin the sleekness of the phone.

jackbandit73

Mar 1, 2005
Just walked in the door from the local verizon store its still on sale just picked up one the sales rep looked at me like i was crazy but scanned it and it came up 24.99. So now charging it and seeing how long it can go. Fits in my otterbox so not really worried about the little bulge at the side. As stated above does feel a little heavier than stock.
Thanks for the confirmation guys. Picked one up over the weekend and have been testing it since.

For me, had to use the "contra code" to get the cover on. Snapped the top, bottom, left, right. Had to force the left side down again after snapping on the right so there's a slight bulge but not a big deal with a casemate.

Weight: Definitely a noticeable difference in weight. Heavier than before.

Battery life: Don't know if conditioning is necessary but charged phone overnight with phone turned off. I was able to get through 1 day with wifi turned on and fairly heavy usage playing games and surfing the web. I would say at least +1 to 2 hours more. I couldn't say that before with the stock battery. Great find!

stevenlong

Nov 21, 2010
Austin
Just Peel It

I just peeled off the label and removed the plastic around the contacts leaving just the battery and the NFC and it now fits just fine in my skyrocket with no other modifications.

steve

Reactions: rkub and wiseman13

sgs2_1.6

Nov 24, 2011
I get over 1day and 5 hours of used on this battery. The best $25 I have ever spend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

sumnerm1

Feb 5, 2012
Decatur, Illinois
I removed the label off the extended battery, and it fits perfect! Used a sharp knife to pull edge of label up, then peeled it all off. My battery life after 3 full carge/discharge cycles is better than stock battery. Probably 15% better, enough to not have to charge during the day.

ekidd14

Mar 30, 2011
picked one up the other day and all i did was use a nail file to slightly shave down the left top and bottom corners of the battery and a little bit of the inside of the battery cover where those left corners touch and it fits PERFECTLY [:

Joker_9

Oct 13, 2011
I removed the label also and now it fits perfect!

First day of use so far, pretty impressed with the extended life. Only down to 70% after a normal day of use.

jmusgrovejr

May 7, 2011
removed the label and wet indicator

I removed the label and the we indicator and it fits. Without removing, there was the slight bulge, but it still fit in my Otterbox Defender case.

lordlittlebrooks

Jan 17, 2011
New York City
Just picked one up today at my local Verizon store here in NYC. They are still on sale for $25 (the box had it marked at $49) and the salesfolks are still in disbelief when it is popped in an non-Verizon phone. I haven't done any modifications to the battery and the back door fit my black SR with a small amount of effort/adjusting. After about three hours of it being installed, I can kind of see the bulge/indentation
of the battery on the back plate, so I might try my hand at modifying the battery a little.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think this info should be added to the op:
    ---------------------------------
    1. Go to Sprint Employee Referral Program [sprint.com]
    2. enter: russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com (as email) // 383 as Employee ID // [this info is public]
    3. make your way to accessories, select galaxy Nexus, add the battery [sprint.com] to cart and enter battery1 coupon code
    4. check out (total should be free, with free shipping), be sure to enter the employee email and ID on the check out page again.
    5. wait for the sent email

NOTE: The description says that it is a bundle that is free with purchase of GNex but it will allow you to checkout with just the battery in your cart! When I applied the coupon code, it redirected me to select a phone. When i clicked back (google chrome) and reapplied the coupon, it took me to checkout (free).
    ------------------------

This worked for me.
    Okay friends, now's the time to stock up! check out this deal for a FREE Nexus extended battery from Sprint! http://slickdeals.net/f/5055866-FREE-Sprint-Galaxy-Nexus-extended-battery?

I bought one for $0 shipped. Did have to enter my credit card info of course.

Enjoy!
    Here's an instructable on one method of trimming down the battery for those who have poor fitment.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Modify-a-Galaxy-Nexus-extended-battery-to-fit-the-/
    Do you mind posting pics of what you did?

Your wish is granted :)
    As with all modifications, I can not be held responsible for your actions. Including, but not limited to trying to modify your phone or battery. You will obviously lose the warranty on the battery, and possibly the phone.

I unwrapped the battery in step 1, thus exposing the NFC antenna, so It's there for sure :)
    I only needed to take a bit off the top left corner, not even the unwrapping part. It's just plastic that's needed to keep it looking symmetric. Who cares about looks when its gonna be covered by the lid. I'll take a pick with my transformer, but i'm in my car, so please excuse the lighting

{This is the extended battery that is sold by Verizon for the Samsung galaxy nexus, It has just been undressed (needlessly), and sanded in the top left corner}

Please press the thank button if I helped

sent from my transformer prime