Rear camera - green lines.

Search This thread

wpgibson

Apr 25, 2011
Anyone seeing this on the rear camera? I'm totally stock. I hear an audible click when I activate and deactivate the rear camera.

uploadfromtaptalk1335055758065.jpg

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

wpgibson

Apr 25, 2011
Squeezing the case near the camera appears the temporarily fix the problem.....

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Olkflx

Sep 13, 2011
Same problem :(:( . Wpgibson's solution works for me but I don't know how much it will last working...

The front camera works perfectly. It is definitely a hardware issue because it did not work even after a full wipe but worked instatly squeezing the case.

Edit: Not working again. I guess i'll have to send it for repair. All the primes have so bad build quality? Will it break in another three months? What should be the best tablet in the market is the worst nightmare. GPS not working, dead pixel, low-range wifi, bluetooth and wifi don't work together and now broken camera. I've never dropped my prime from a height greater than 10cm hand it has broken camera, tough I can drop my phone (happened a lot of times), or even my laptop from a table (happened once) and they won't break.

Attachments

• IMG_20120422_184734.jpg
    IMG_20120422_184734.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:

wpgibson

Apr 25, 2011
Let me know what you do, if you RMA your prime, I'm curious as to how to go about that process.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

texstar

Feb 13, 2012
Houston
Call Asus tech support. They will give you some specific things to try to get the camera working again. If it doesn't work they can give you a rma. Expect to be without your Prime for 30 days or more if you send it in for camera repair according to a friend of mine who shipped his off last month for the same problem.

kwazytazz

Jan 2, 2009
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Call Asus tech support. They will give you some specific things to try to get the camera working again. If it doesn't work they can give you a rma. Expect to be without your Prime for 30 days or more if you send it in for camera repair according to a friend of mine who shipped his off last month for the same problem.

+1 I shipped mine off on the 8th of this month, they recieved it on the 12th, and its still in WB5 Status ever since, I called yesterday and they told me that theres nothing they can do to escalate it as its within the 10-14 business day repair.

wpgibson

Apr 25, 2011
Just thought I would update this thread. I finally called Asus, got a RMA for the green screen issue, last night, for the rear camera. I'll update as the issue/repair progresses.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

ThatFool

Apr 16, 2011
Just out of curiousity what is the first 6 numbers/letters of the serial on your guys prime?

geech72

Apr 4, 2009
This problem arose yesterday for me I have the bcokas. It really is a disgrace that we have to compare serials so that people can know what problem they should expect to see next. I coulda waited a few extra months if Asus had told me that the device wasn't ready for release yet.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA

genuine

Oct 28, 2005
Yesterday I noticed this issue with rear camera too - when I press near the camera, picture gets back, but it only lasts for a second or two.
Sending it today for a repair... btw, mine is BCOKAS.

quanghuyzzz

Apr 28, 2012
i purchased 1 C3OKAS on march 30, experience this issue after 2 weeks using
sent it for RMA on april 10 then i had a call form asus center last week. when i received it, it got many scratches. i decided to send it back to change the back plate.
i purchased this sh.t, using 2 weeks and then sent for RMA for more than 1 month already. is this worth?
never go for asus anymore...

genuine

Oct 28, 2005
Did any of you guys who sent it to repair service got an explanation of what was wrong with camera?
Was it some loose connection or did they replace the whole camera part?
Ah, obviously yet another hardware/design flaw... really, I wouldn't be surprised if in a month or two, resistors and transistors start to fall out through the headphone socket...

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
this happened to me last week. Waiting til summer to send it in :(

I'm on a C10 model (from mid-february)

It's a GOOD thing I didn't take the unlock route yet!

to OP, can you pls let us know where you sent it? are you in the US?

kimi_Q

May 12, 2011
do you guys use the latest firmware .21?
it should be fixed in .21 theoretically.
if you still have this issue after re-install firmware.
it might be caused by hardware issue.
you should RMA your TF201

genuine

Oct 28, 2005
do you guys use the latest firmware .21?
it should be fixed in .21 theoretically.
if you still have this issue after re-install firmware.
it might be caused by hardware issue.
you should RMA your TF201

Hm, when one needs to physically press and/or hold the upper part of the tablet just to get camera working again for a while, then I really doubt that the software part has anything to do with it...

wpgibson

Apr 25, 2011
ok, to update, and respond to several questions:

1.) My model is also a BCOKAS model, purchased in late December through BB online.

2.) Its on the .21 firmware, I make sure the OS is up to date on the day they release the OTA's.
- As a side note, I fail to see how a firmware update would rectify a problem that was only fixed by squeezing the front glass and the rear case gently to the left and right sides of the rear camera.

3.) After I called Asus tech support, US toll free number, they gave me an RMA number and sent me two emails, one with the RMA info, and one with FedEx prepaid ground to their repair facility in Grapevine, Texas.

4.) Because I am anal-retentive, I had my wife shoot hi-res DLSR photos of the unit from a variety of angles before we packed it in order to document the pristine condition of the case and screen. Then, I shot video of my wife packing it up. I still had the origial box, which it went into, then that went into a bigger box with bubble wrap and newspaper to add further cushioning. Now, if ASUS repair tries to tell me the unit has customer damage, I'll be seeing them, armed with a lot of evidence.

EDIT:
-- Also, as a side note, I really do NOT expect there to be any issues with the repair or the whole RMA process, I think a lot of the *****ing that trolls through these threads, particularly the issue sthat never seem to get resolved, are largely bogus, and designed to run the "Asus" brand down. I've been pretty happy with the TF201 since I got it, and in fact I got my wife one as a present for passing the Bar exam and getting sworn in, so we have two in the family.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    STATUS UPDATE:

Got an email from ASUS repair this afternoon, my TF201 is on its way back via FedEX. (About a week for the repair time, which ain't too shabby!) :cool:

I'll update on the unit once it arrives.
    Just stopping by to wrap up the mini-drama of the rear-camera green screen of death.

I got the tablet back last night, it sat at the local FEdEx distribution center over the holiday weekend because it got to the area Friday. So from time of getting the RMA, I won't count the holiday weekend, it took about 2 solid weeks. The repair took Asus about six days, and part of that time was waiting for parts, presumably from Asia.

I fiddled with the unit for several hours last night. Thus far, the repair seems solid, and the repair quality did not impact or imapir any other dimensions of the unit. By that, I mean it doesn't look like the unit got busted in the process of replacing the camera. The unit came back in the same condition that I sent it, except the camera works properly now.
    Just to add another green camera prime to the list.
    I opened a support ticket with Asus, they asked me to do a full hard reset on the device, so I backed everything up and it is still green.
    Looks like I'll have to RMA it. I'm on vacation in a weeks time so it'll have to wait till I come back :( don't want to miss watching movies or reading my books.
    Thing is my prime is rooted, should I uninstall superuser and titanium backup before I send it in?

No you should be fine. People have RMAed unlocked primes without issue.

Update on my prime, sent it in last Monday and it comes in this afternoon. Can't wait to get it back!!

Sent from my Inspire 4G using xda premium

EDIT: Prime is back :) camera and mura fixed, but have some pretty crappy light bleed from the edges. lol will send it in again if anything else goes wrong *knock on wood it doesnt!*. send to receive, 12 days for my RMA.

*happy prime owner* :)
    Argh.. I cannot believe it.. Green rear camera again... a third time. I have already sent it in twice.. :mad:

first time, April 2012, 2nd time October 2012, now here we are February 2013.

and they made me paid to send it in the 2nd time...all within the warranty period.

grrrrrrrr

Email Tien. He may be able to help you out with the shipping...

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD
    Got them to pay for the shipping both ways.. spoke to a supervisor about replacement or credit towards a new tablet.. No dice.. you would think that after 3 failures they would do something more than tell me they would make a special note that the repair person should make sure the connections were tight.. Oh thanks for telling the tech that they should make sure it is really fixed before returning to customer..a third time!! so frustrating.. ..argh.

I think tien told me that after three repairs if you need another THEN they'll maybe consider a replacement...with a refurb lol

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app